Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project FU winter. 01 xj sport

Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default project FU winter. 01 xj sport

after being without a car last winter in boston, i decided this year I'd buy another jeep. I've had 3 or 4 xjs by now, and this one i plan on keeping.
after a few months of looking i picked up a black 01 sport with 102k on it sight unseen from a shady dealership in staten island. somehow the jeep showed up more or less as advertized. before i ever saw it i sent it to my brothers shop for a full checkup, tune up, and lift.
the intent of this jeep is to be a daily/bad weather driver. my other car is a porsche 964, so needless to say now it will never have to see bad weather again. its going to get tucked away for the winter and live a charmed life.

so far the jeep has been treated to a new battery, all fresh syntetech fluids all around, and 2.5inch OME lift from Dirk at DPG off-road ( super helpful and knowlegeable) as well as some TJ rubicon wheels and goodyear wrangler duratracs in 255.70.16. We upgraded the lights with truck lite LEDs and some ebay smoked lenses to get rid of all the amber

anyway, i might throw some bumpers on it, maybe some frame rail sliders.. definately needs tint to finish the "murdered out" look, and possibly an automatic starter.. no sense in being cold getting into it.

hers a few before and after pics

Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Finally getting around to more toys for the jeep. My 964 takes up way too much time and money. Mostly been maintenance for the jeep. The ac went over the summer, new fan and compressor but that didn't fix it. Still has a leak somewhere in the system. Had it up on a lift a few weeks ago. Still no signs of rust other than two spots on the front doors which will be addressed when the bumpers are installed .

Have a set of jcr crusader bumpers and I'll be coating the lower portion of it in Bedliner as soon as I get around to it.maybe the hood too, as I like the look with the middle indent left painted. Hopefully in the next week or so. After that it needs to be detailed badly, and I really want leather seats with heat. Wish I could find some xj limited seats but I'll probabaly end up with a kit like katzkin. Oh and a stereo. Having a tape player and awful old paper speakers just isn't cutting it. I'm

Actually the wish list is as follows-

Rear disc brake conversion
Steep upgrade
Leather/heated seats
Install bumpers
Bedliner lower portion of the body
New cat back ( mines rusting)
Fix a/c once and for all

Last edited by jjm4life; 01-08-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

lovely 964, Porsche nut here as well with a XJ as a daily. You XJ is nice as well.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by b16gsr
lovely 964, Porsche nut here as well with a XJ as a daily. You XJ is nice as well.
Hey thanks. The Porsche is a lot of fun, and it's been a massive project. Every single system has been addressed/modified and not much has been left stock. My goal Is to build my own idea of a Singer 911 bit by bit. Currrntly trying to figure out what body parts I don't need so I can afford the motor I really want to build (4.0 with ITBs). I probabaly drive the 964 and xj equal Amounts, plus I have a triumph cafe racer too.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 PM

awesome.

I also appreciate the Singer cars but man are the ever expensive. But with that being said so are these cars in general. I have a 997.1 Carrera S that is close to becoming a dedicated track car. I have been on the hunt for a GT3 of some nature, but haven't landed on one yet.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Love 997s. My mother had a 997.1s and a 997.1tt years ago. I think those will go down in history as the sweet spot for the water pumpers. 991 is just massive. I had a potential buyer for my 964 in the fall and planned on picking up a 997.2 gt3 to replace it. That deal fell through when he bought sienfelds 356 carerra2. Nice way to spend 1mm+
These cars are nuts $$ wise. Makes spending on the xj way less painful.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jjm4life
Finally getting around to more toys for the jeep. My 964 takes up way too much time and money. Mostly been maintenance for the jeep. The ac went over the summer, new fan and compressor but that didn't fix it. Still has a leak somewhere in the system. Had it up on a lift a few weeks ago. Still no signs of rust other than two spots on the front doors which will be addressed when the bumpers are installed .

Have a set of jcr crusader bumpers and I'll be coating the lower portion of it in Bedliner as soon as I get around to it.maybe the hood too, as I like the look with the middle indent left painted. Hopefully in the next week or so. After that it needs to be detailed badly, and I really want leather seats with heat. Wish I could find some xj limited seats but I'll probabaly end up with a kit like katzkin. Oh and a stereo. Having a tape player and awful old paper speakers just isn't cutting it. I'm

Actually the wish list is as follows-

Rear disc brake conversion
Steep upgrade
Leather/heated seats
Install bumpers
Bedliner lower portion of the body
New cat back ( mines rusting)
Fix a/c once and for all
Jeep looks good. Unfortunately the a/c leak is probably the evaporator. I rechared mine multiple times and added a ton of leak detector and never could find it,so I bit the bullet and removed the dash and evaporator and sure enough it was the leak.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 01EXPOXJ
Jeep looks good. Unfortunately the a/c leak is probably the evaporator. I rechared mine multiple times and added a ton of leak detector and never could find it,so I bit the bullet and removed the dash and evaporator and sure enough it was the leak.
That's what I'm afraid of. My mechanic (aka brother) doesn't want to do it.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

That's what I'm afraid of. My mechanic (aka brother) doesn't want to do it.
it's actually not that bad. Ive had the complete dash out of another one of my xjs so I had done it before but you dont have to pull the whole dash out to get the hvac box out. I'm a mechanic and i totally understand not wanting to do w evaporator or heater core but i had it out, replaced and back in, in about 3 hours. I put it off for to long though.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Man that Porche is sexy! That's my dream car right there! Nice work!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

What size tires are on it now? Any issues? that set of wheels looks good too. My local junkyard always has that style wheel available. I may have to pick some up.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Man that Porche is sexy! That's my dream car right there! Nice work!
Hey thanks. It's been a much larger project than I had anticipated but totally worth it. If you ever check out Rennlist I have a seriously long build thread under the same username. There was a period of time that the car was on a flatbed more than it was on the road. I recently went trough the full build with someone from bumper to bumper.. took a looong time to point out all the details. The majors are a built 3.6, 993 gt3 evo front suspension, 993tt brakes, rs inspired interior.. weighs just under 2600lbs and I want to get it lower. Hoping for 2400
Originally Posted by ducrider45
What size tires are on it now? Any issues? that set of wheels looks good too. My local junkyard always has that style wheel available. I may have to pick some up.
255.70.16. I had some rubbing at first but nothing major. My bumpers are in rough shape and sag a little, hence the jcr bumpers waiting to be installed.

Last edited by jjm4life; 01-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Love 997s. My mother had a 997.1s and a 997.1tt years ago. I think those will go down in history as the sweet spot for the water pumpers. 991 is just massive. I had a potential buyer for my 964 in the fall and planned on picking up a 997.2 gt3 to replace it. That deal fell through when he bought sienfelds 356 carerra2. Nice way to spend 1mm+
These cars are nuts $$ wise. Makes spending on the xj way less painful.
I love the 997 car, they just had a better look about them than the 996 cars. I have always wanted a 964 just haven't ever found "the one". I too have been after a 997.2 GT3 but wth the 991.2 GT3 hitting the ground this year I think the market on the .1 will fall and I will likely buy one of them.

Here is my 997.

Name:  C223BC3A-4298-438B-80EF-8A1C4ECBBFF8_zpsnbjpccby.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  283.6 KB

At The Circuit of The Americas.

Name:  87AD5A22-6983-4FEB-9899-9E22C203A12A_zpswnstli6d.png
Views: 760
Size:  797.8 KB

Hey thanks. It's been a much larger project than I had anticipated but totally worth it. If you ever check out Rennlist I have a seriously long build thread under the same username. There was a period of time that the car was on a flatbed more than it was on the road. I recently went trough the full build with someone from bumper to bumper.. took a looong time to point out all the details. The majors are a built 3.6, 993 gt3 evo front suspension, 993tt brakes, rs inspired interior.. weighs just under 2600lbs and I want to get it lower. Hoping for 2400.
I went hough some of your thread going to try and finish tonight. What a great build.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 AM

Your 997 is aeeome love the livery. I'd also kill for some track time
At cota. I had a chance to check out club motorsports in New Hampshire, but it was before the curbing and Armco. Hoping to have more time this year. I just helped set up a trip for 40 people from Boston to the tail of the dragon too.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Your 997 is aeeome love the livery. I'd also kill for some track time
At cota. I had a chance to check out club motorsports in New Hampshire, but it was before the curbing and Armco. Hoping to have more time this year. I just helped set up a trip for 40 people from Boston to the tail of the dragon too.
Thank you.

We made 2 trips in 2016 to COTA and will likely do the the same this year, as well as 4 other tracks. We hope to make it to Monticello up that way this year, we hear its quite the place. Soooo envious of the trip to the Tail of The Dragon, hear its awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: project FU winter. 01 xj sport