Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Demon Hunter"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project "Demon Hunter"

Personal story/interests/goals/plan

Stuck in the middle of college in the glorious 757 with very little money and VERY little knowledge with it comes to vehicles and a care about my MPG, so I decided to get into the right lifestyle (lol) after my geo tracker bit the dust. By most peoples standards I'm a "pretty crazy" jeep owner, I like it to be relatively clean and I'm not too big on mud (I'm really into trail riding).

Currently I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport with 194k on it. Sitting on a 4.5" lift with 33's. Has, what I believe to be, a Dana 44 in the rear with upgraded gears (I know nothing about that kind of stuff, just what others have said I have, I can cruise 60-70mph at 1900 rpm and have roughly 15-18mpg)

Enough babble. I want to make it a great trail rider but also a semi decent DD, these are some of the things I want to do to it:
5" lift
34's
Snorkel
Tire carrier
Strengthen steering (don't have death wobble but I might as well)
Led Light bar on a front bumper w/ winch
KC lights on top
Ladder to get to roof attached to lift gate
Side rails
New windshield
(Maybe) fender flares (I kinda enjoy spraying water and whatnot everywhere
LED dash and interior lights
Camo headliner
New seats
Rear locker
Hi-output alternator
Increase engine performance and power

The list goes on, mainly accessories because for the most part (I think) just about everything else is pretty set for now.

I'm going for a black and like green color scheme. "Demon Hunter" comes from a band that I'm really into.

I've got a handful or so of tools and whatever that thing in between my ears is to get everything done but ANY and ALL help/advice/tips/anything is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Project "Demon Hunter"-image-3607077842.jpg   Project "Demon Hunter"-image-22785869.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six

camo headliner is easy. go to walmart get a twin size camo bed sheet and some super 77 glue. it will take about an hour but its worth it. only pain in the but is thoes center lights. cost about 25 bucks to do. "bleepin jeep" has a great video on youtube on how to do it
Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Alright man I'll check it out tonight when I get off. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Just a head up...If you're looking for big horsepower gains, the 4.0 is less responsive to bolt on mods (exhaust, intake, headers, etc) than many other engines. The only way to really get a lot of power is to do a stroker, or go forced induction with supercharger or turbo. Or engine swap of course. Most people here, you'll find, spend most of their engine time trying to make it run as good as stock. When you add bigger tires, they just regear to get back to stock power levels haha. Change out all the fluids yet? Usually the first thing that gets recommended on here
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 AM

Interesting. Didn't know that lol. I was clearly mis-informed about the bolt on capabilities of the in line 6. I'll look more into what you suggested. My engine runs fine, has a little clicking/knocking-like-sound Ima get into. Haven't changed all the fluids yet. Doing that this weekend or the next. I use 15w-40 oil since It's a bit thicker and I used it on my Geo Tracker (1.6L 4cyl) and didn't have any problems.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Unless some one has swapped it out already, I dont think you have a D44 rear as they were only put in 87-90 or so year models. More than likely you have a Chrysler 8.25 or a D35. And if it is the original D35 rear you will not want to go bigger than the 33s you are running now. Even then there is a chance of breaking them with harsh off roading. See this link to understand what I'm saying.

If you are adamant about the 34s you will need to change the rear to a D44 out of the earlier mentioned years "IF" you can find one. lol Or go to the Chrysler 8.25.

Also can do a Ford 8" swap. A good solid axle that will take some serious abuse.

Also if you go that hiugh you will need a SYE to handle the increased drive line angle. But if you stay where you are at with 4.5" you can manage with thye TC drop.

Also, if you go up in tire size to 34s or 35s you will need to regear to keep your trans pressures on the right range or you will get a lot of gear changing driving down the road on the highway and TC lock up problems.