Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Lightbulb Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy

I finally am writing a guide on how to convert your crappy stock lights into something beautiful and sexy looking, real bi-xenon lighting for your XJ. NOT those fake, blinding oncoming traffic instead of putting light on the ground where you need it lights, real projected xenon light with a XENON, not halogen, high beam. Yea its the real deal, heres what they look like
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0071.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0073.jpg

The first thing you need to do is get your parts.
The projectors can be found at http://theretrofitsource.com I used the FX-R Stage III kit with 5000K bulbs and the Gatling Gun Shrouds, go to the website and youll understand.

Then you need a cheapo housing to hold the projector, I used a 15$ fake projector housing I found on eBay.

Drill with 3.5" metal hole saw

Dremel with bits and goodies

some silicon sealant/adhesive

epdm 3/16" sealant (lowes)

nuts and bolts with screw head ends, size 8 about 1 1/2" long

I really cant remember anything else, oh you need access to an oven.
lets get started.

When you start out your table should look like this.
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0232.jpg

Now you see those fake projector housings? Stick em in a 350 degree oven (one at the time) for about 7 min
Then separate the glass cover from the housing, oh yea the cheapo housings must be glass!
Then scrape off all the old adhesive and then do the other.

Now this is where it gets hard and becomes a pain in the ****.

Take the housing and the projector in two hands, the projector has to fit snugly and straight into the housing. You have to cut the back of the housing to fit the projector with a dremel like so.
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0248.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0249.jpg
Im going to have to make a new post cause I cant add more pics.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Hey Man - Did you ever finish or post another thread on this? Im looking to so the same thing and have a few questions. I found the this company which sells the conversion set up, minus the projector head lights for about $120. Found the Projector head lights on another site for $35. Im curious about what you doing here? It looks like you have the same projector headlights, but your hacking them open? Whats that all about? If I were to just grab these headlights and do the conversion, will be one of those dbags blinding people? lol Is there something else that I need to do?

http://www.xenonheadlights.net/

http://www.dashzracing.com/79-01-Jee...-p5437672.html
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

He's hacking them open because they are not real projectors. The ones you linked to aren't either, so yes you'll probably be one of those dbags if you use those as is. They are just a little lense suspended in front of the bulb with no real projecting effect.

Those are the exact same housing I used. Wasn't able to get the lens separated (started cracking the glass), so I just cut a bigger hole into the back. Probably try another set when summer comes around, the first set was a pretty rough prototype to test out my options in mounting.

Good luck, I'm interested to see you you finish them up. Unfortunately, I always forget about taking pictures because I get into work mode and nothing stops me at that point.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Part Two of the Build

Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0250.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0251.jpg

Now that your projector is snugly in your housing we can go head and take off the front end of the Jeep.
Take the whole front end off till you get to about here:
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0233.jpg

This is probably the most hard and scary part of the whole build, you have to cut a hole to fit the projectors. This is what it should look like.
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0234.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0235.jpg

After thats done wire up the harness to your liking and we're almost done.

If youve made it this far without regretting doing the project, you truly love your Jeep and should get a girlfriend

To Be Continued
Godspeed
Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Part 3 almost done

Ok so youve wired up the harness and put the header panel back on right?

Good now you can mount the Ballasts (Power supply adapter thingy that creates the required voltage to make an arc in the bulb to light the gas) to your liking so we can level the projectors.
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-pic_0239.jpg

Ok so now put the bulb in the projector plug it in the ballast and try and get it as level as possible shining it against a wall, then using the mounting holes in the projector mount it with the screws and nuts to the housing. Use the silicone sealant to seal out as much water as possible. Then take the epdm sealer and put it where the adhesive for the glass of the housing was. Oh ****y i almost forgot about the shrouds.

Basically you have to mod/cut the shrouds to fit in the housing and under the glass. Like so:
Bottom
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0063.jpg
Side
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0064.jpg

Now you might need to cut more or less depending which shroud you get and how your projector fits.
To put in the angel eyes youll have to drill tiny holes in the shrouds and use 26AWG wire to hold them to the shroud If you buy the angel eyes

Then use the old ring and light holder (OEM Headlight assembly minus the stock H4 bulb) to hold the glass to the housing. And thank God your done should look like this
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0068.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0067.jpg
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92

Very cool.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbecke91
Hey Man - Did you ever finish or post another thread on this? Im looking to so the same thing and have a few questions. I found the this company which sells the conversion set up, minus the projector head lights for about $120. Found the Projector head lights on another site for $35. Im curious about what you doing here? It looks like you have the same projector headlights, but your hacking them open? Whats that all about? If I were to just grab these headlights and do the conversion, will be one of those dbags blinding people? lol Is there something else that I need to do?

http://www.xenonheadlights.net/

http://www.dashzracing.com/79-01-Jee...-p5437672.html
Im sorry to say but elroy is right. Thats not the proper way to enjoy HID lighting. I have the same housing as the one in the website, I used that one for two days with silver star ultra bulbs and there was barely any light on the road, but i guess that was because mine were black. And thats way to overpriced, eBay my friend. You have to use real projectors like on theretrofitsource.com they are the best, there is another similar but lower quality manufacturer cant remember the name of it. But here is the light output to show quality
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0001.jpg
Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy-imag0003.jpg
Old 01-15-2011, 04:32 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

.... eyegasim :P ive had my eye some TSX projectors to put in my jeep, how did you mount your projectors in to your houseings? thats been the bigest thing for me. you have any other pics of how you mounted them?
Old 01-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 93turqXJ

Ok so now put the bulb in the projector plug it in the ballast and try and get it as level as possible shining it against a wall, then using the mounting holes in the projector mount it with the screws and nuts to the housing. Use the silicone sealant to seal out as much water as possible.
there are mounting holes on the projectors i just used those drilled holes in the housings and used screws and bolts
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

you just cut the houseing in the back to make the projector sit snug? did you use anything to seal up the gaps?
Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by aj6
you just cut the houseing in the back to make the projector sit snug? did you use anything to seal up the gaps?
the silicon!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

hmmm ok.. thank you for the help. ive been wanting to do this for some time now.. your set up looks really good.. good job man
Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by aj6
hmmm ok.. thank you for the help. ive been wanting to do this for some time now.. your set up looks really good.. good job man
Thanks i appreciate it and the silicone i used is an adhesive/sealer so it also added extra strength to the screws.
and with the epdm on the glass to housing part creates an airtight seal
Old 05-22-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Nice writeup. After seeing how awesome the OEM bixenon projectors are in my mom's new 2011 Grand Cherokee, I decided to go on a little shopping spree . I got the Morimoto Mini D2S Projectors, Apollo Shrouds, 5000k D2S bulbs, and D2S ballast adapters from TRS. I'm hoping since the Morimoto mini's are only 5 inches in overall length, I'll be able to fit them in without cutting into the grille support.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

that looks awesome. any chance we can get a low beam and high beam picture? i wanna do it so bad...just need to save up some cash. i'm hoping if i do this i won't need to invest money into $200 offroad lights or anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Bi Xenon on a XJ, so sexy