Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Aunt Jemima ('99 Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Project Aunt Jemima ('99 Sport)

Hey guys,

First post here. I bought my XJ in September and have slowly but steadily pimped her out. Prior to this I had a 2008 Toyota FJ but went overkill with that vehicle. I've always loved the old Cherokee's and feel this vehicle is perfect for me.

Aunty Jemima is a '99 Cherokee Sport. Picked her up with 107k miles. The interior was awesome but the outside looked like ****. A lot of the trim was faded, there was peeling and rusting on the roof, and the dude who owned her before me touched up areas with god knows what (it didn't match). There were also a lot of pockmarks on the vehicle.

Here's what she looked like when I first got her and after I immediately tinted the windows (15% all the way around):

I sourced stuff and decided on a Rough Country 3" lift, Pro Comp wheels, and BFG All Terrains. I found a friend of a friend who paints vehicles to give me a garage paint job . It's a bit orange peely, but I really could care less. For a 15 year old vehicle that I'm going to have fun with I don't need a showroom paint job. Even so, this vehicle turns heads now, you don't see clean XJs like this driving around now-a-days. Since I've lived here in Tucson going to school at UA (since January 2014) I haven't seen any clean XJs.

Here she is now, with everything (I painted the axles in the front and got black lugs as well, not pictured):

Last edited by paradime; 11-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Looks nice, welcome to the forum!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I did for my audio setup:

In my FJ Cruiser I used a Nexus 7 tablet running AUX into a single DIN radio that was hidden behind it. The setup worked well but it was a little busy.

For my XJ, I thought I'd have to get a different tablet because of the 1.5 DIN size. I didn't want to cut into my entire dash and mold a cradle for a DDIN (I'm much better at computer stuff than that). Holding the Nexus 7 up to the dash, the bottom Navigation bar and top status bar were cut off. So, I bought a smaller tablet (Xperia Z Ultra) but it wasn't anywhere near as capable for an audio setup as the Nexus 7 tablets are; I ended up returning it. I then had an epiphany, why not just decrease the portion of the screen that's usable on the Nexus 7 so it fits a 1.5 DIN opening.

These are the modifications you will need at the software level for the Nexus 7.

Apply this code via fastboot, which allows the tablet to boot up from a completely off state when it receives power:

Code:
fastboot oem-off-mode charge 0
Download a terminal emulator app for the tablet and make sure you have root. Apply these codes via the app to decrease the vertical dimensions of the N7's screen to fit 1.5 DIN:

Code:
su
Code:
wm size 980x1920
Code:
wm density 260
This makes the tablet go from this to this .

From here, these are the products I used for my setup:

$29.95 -
Nitro Bmw-x43 300 Watt 4 Channel Car Amplifier Nitro Bmw-x43 300 Watt 4 Channel Car Amplifier
(don't need a bumping sound system so this is plenty for me)

$38.61 -
Fusion MS-BT100 Bluetooth Dongle for Fusion Marine Stereo Head Units Fusion MS-BT100 Bluetooth Dongle for Fusion Marine Stereo Head Units

$2.69 x 2 -
DB Link Double Shielded Competition Series CLY2MZ 2 Male To 1 Female RCA Y Adapter DB Link Double Shielded Competition Series CLY2MZ 2 Male To 1 Female RCA Y Adapter

$5.96 -
Car Charger Power Cigarette Lighter Female Socket Black w 26cm Cable Car Charger Power Cigarette Lighter Female Socket Black w 26cm Cable

$9.99 -
PowerGen 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices PowerGen 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices

$7.99 - Super Strong Neodymium Disc Craft Magnets 1/4 X 1/16 Inch N42 (Set of 100)

Tap the amp, bluetooth adapter, and cigarette lighter socket into the ignition, so it receives power when the ignition is on and doesn't when it's off. From there, plug the USB charger into the socket. One USB cable will power the tablet and the other will power the wireless charger.

Take the neodymium magnets , tear down a wireless charger, and add them to the coil .

Make a vinyl template for the size of the ashtray and plastidip it black . I taped the wireless charger to the underside of the vinyl template using super strong Gorilla Glue duct tape.

From here, make a 1/4" piece of wood that's wide enough to screw into the slots the factory radio screwed into . I taped one side down because the tablet was sitting over that screw.

Double side sticky tape the tablet (either directly or using a case) onto the wood . You'll probably need to do it a few times to get the dash to line up correctly.

Remove the center console, pop out the ash tray, and run the USB cable to the wireless charger+vinyl. I then used some super glue to glue it into the slot.

You've now brought your XJ into the year 2014, technology-wise.