Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project '98

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Project '98

Hey,
Let me first say this will be a "build-up" that will start with repairs then move into modifications. So let me begin with some of a background on exactly why I got into Jeeps. It all started about 3 years ago when my father brought my older brother, who is currently in iraq, a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic that was fully loaded and had a 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift Kit and 31" BFG All Terrains. Sadly while attempting to leave the subdivision I live in my brother had to accelerate to avoid a car that was driving faster than it was supposed to, causing my brother to lose control, spin out and roll over onto the roof. That Jeep sat in my garage for two years only being driven on weekends when we messed with it to try and fix it back up, after a while my brother gave up and gave me the Jeep, that was when I decided to buy another non-running Jeep and swap drivetrains, since the rolled one had an engine with 10,000 miles. I searched for 1 year and eventually settled on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 with 198,899 miles that would start up and then overheat and shutdown. I gave both Jeeps to a reputable shop known as ENGINE EXPERTS, who had my new jeep up and running in a month's time. Here are current spec.'s for my new Jeep:

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 with 203,xxx miles on body and frame
4.0 Inline 6 with 15,xxx miles
AW4 Transmission with 117,xxx miles
NP231 Transfer Case with 117,xxx miles
Hella 500 Offroad driving lights

Plan's for this summer (step by step process):

1. Removal and disposal of all carpet with exception of floormats
2. Cover off panels for sandblasting of driver and passenger floor boards to remove light rust
3. POR-15 where needed
4. Fix small rust hole in trunk with use of POR-15 and POWERMESH
5. Herculine interior
6. Fix any and all mechanical issues (e.g. steering issues, check engine light), though for this kind of stuff I will probably give the Jeep to Engine Experts
7. If all goes according to plan I might be allowed to buy and install a Rusty's Offroad 3 in. Lift kit (you won't believe how much i'm kicking myself for not having kept the lift and tires from my last jeep)

If you haven't noticed by now I'm very into detail, and doing the work right the first time so you dont have to come back in again. As of now I have the POR-15 and the Herculiner sitting in my garage and have acquired almost all supplies necessary to start fixing everything in JUNE! I will post of pictures of this build as soon as I figure out why it won't let me. Not that this has started yet, just getting this out there.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Well no one has really said anything, so I figure I will just keep going. There has been a slight change of plans for the rust hole in the trunk. I was removing the padding from the underside of the carpet because it tends to absorb and hold water. I saw a pin sized hole in the rusty area, poked it with my knife and a little of the metal fell away. Pretty sure I will hunt around from a shop in Raleigh, N.C. that would be willing to just cut and remove the rusty metal in that area and replace it with a new sheet. I will probably not invest the money in a lift kit anymore, probably just a set of BFG All Terrains.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Little Update even though not a single person has responeded to my build

Change of plans again, in June the Jeep will make a trip down to Engine Experts where they will see if they can fix the rust hole in the trunk for me. Meanwhile I am also thinking about buying a Rubicon Express 2 Inch budget Boost and a set of Rusty's Offroad 2 Inch. coil Springs for the front to use instead of the coil spacers, then maybe a set of BFG All TERRAINS!!! This all depends if I can get a job for the summer. Pictures coming soon, by the way does anybody know how to add them??
Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

I've checked in to your thread when you first posted and think your project will be great..I wish your family well while serving overseas.
Pics would help gain you some interest from our fellow cherokee owners.
Keep up the work and post up progress pics...
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SGT ABN XJ
I've checked in to your thread when you first posted and think your project will be great..I wish your family well while serving overseas.
Pics would help gain you some interest from our fellow cherokee owners.
Keep up the work and post up progress pics...
Thanks, I would have posted some pictures up by now but it won't let me do it... I am going to apply for some jobs and see if I can rack up some more cash which I will blow on the Jeep to buy a Lift, tires and maybe a roof rack... The rust hole is actually really small and most of you guys will be surprised that I'm making such a big deal out of it, but I want to get it fixed so I can feel good about spending some money on it... you know..
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

I completely understand about the rust hole. I have one and all I can do is think about it.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Update

Welll still no pictures yet, sorry guys. I took the Jeep Offroading today, hit a couple of mudholes and went down a little of a trail, then headed out for some fishing. On the way home i stopped at Joanne Fabrics and found the replacement headliner i was going to use same color and everything.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Update

Well today I tossed all my gear on top of my Jeep and headed out to the lake. I left the lake after an hour and went to a small pond next to a swimming pool, to bad they have a chain link going across the front of the enterance, so I thought I could make a u-turn without reversing and then the front of my Jeep grazes against the fence the chain flexs inwards and I'm like well nothing probably happened. WRONG, my passenger side corner marker part of the header is completely scratched and so is the fender flare. I'm not even going to bother to fix it, its only a few scratchs anyway. Oh and I GOT A JOB, hired on the spot and I start next Friday!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Jeep has gone to the shop

Today I dropped off my Jeep at Engine Experts along with a long list of stuff I needed done. They are going to fix everything including the rust hole. That should kill at least two weeks at which point when I finally get it back I can tear it apart and start doing my mods. I got back from my first day at work, it was so easy. I will be buying a Rusty's Offroad Three Inch Lift Kit in a few weeks, and maybe some bigger tires and wheel spacers to run the stock wheels farther out for stability. Pictures to come Soon!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Bad news

So heard back from the shop the other day, no can do on the rust hole the place its in they can't work on it. **** RUST. Anyway plans have changed slightly:

Plan's for this summer (step by step process):

1. Removal and disposal of all carpet with exception of floormats
2. Cover off panels for wire wheeling of driver and passenger floor boards to remove light rust
3. POR-15 where needed
4. Fix small rust hole in trunk with use of POR-15 and POWERMESH
5. Herculine interior

Rust sucks.... ruined my plans for the lift I can't justify dumping money into the Jeep if theres a possiblilty that in a years time there will be no floor left in the trunk.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Rust Delima Solved

Okay Happy Days everybody. The shop patched my trunk rust hole, not to my standards but its taken care of. School just ended so I pulled my jeep onto the side of the drive way and began cutting out the carpet. I'm glad that all I have is light surface rust nothing a wire wheel can't take care of. I tired to cut out the carpet in such a way that I could put it back without anyone knowing it was ever removed, big FAIL. Oh well I think that with the carpet in it would just be pointless. Now I can fix my Jeep for good and move on to chasing the honeys... haha, my brother always pokes fun at me for being single and being obssesed with my Jeep... Anyway last stretch of working on the Jeep then its taking a road trip to the mountains....
Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Over a month of posting about the Jeep and pics, and still no pics... WTF??? I was wondering why you didn't keep the lift and tires off the Jeep that was originally your bros... Did you basically give that to the shop as payment for the work they did to your current one?? Can't wait to see pics of your ride..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by bluedragon436
Over a month of posting about the Jeep and pics, and still no pics... WTF??? I was wondering why you didn't keep the lift and tires off the Jeep that was originally your bros... Did you basically give that to the shop as payment for the work they did to your current one?? Can't wait to see pics of your ride..
Alright normally when people talk to me in a rude manner I get an attitude towards them. I haven't taken many pictures yet, and even if I did I have tried multiple times to post them and it never works so if you could please enlighten me as to how to add pictures into my build that would be good. No, I did not give the shop my old jeep as payment I asked them if they could swap the axles with the lift attached from the rolled one to the new one and the guy said it would be $1000 and I said f*** that. I finished wire wheeling the trunk today and tommorow i will hoepfully be applying the POR-15 in that area and then removing that silly *** heat sheild stickys... RIght now I'm going to go work out, peace out...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Applied first coat of POR-15 this morning, just finished sanding it with 320 grit to pop open any air bubbles on the surface. Going to hit it with the second coat, that should seal any openings, tommorow morning then bedline the trunk as well. And moving forward from there...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Default Farewell

Alright guys I am on the last leg of my "build", unfortunately I have no pictures to document this. I am fully done with the POR-15 with the exception of some small spots here and there, I will not be bedlining over them so that I can take care of them later on. I will be bedlining the entire Jeep from front to back tommorow morning. It has been a wild ride working on this Jeep, but I don't think modifying this Jeep is the thing for me. It has taken me almost one month to finish the Jeep to this point. And to be quite honest I would rather spend me time using the Jeep to go offroading and explore the outdoors, and socialize with my friends. I have had the Jeep for more than a year now and have spent alot of money on it, after the bedlining is done I am taking the Jeep into the mountains for the weekend to enjoy it. Thanks for everything, all those who have helped me with my countless questions. I am going to hang on to the Jeep for the next 5-7 years and after college is over I will probably buy a Jeep Wrangler, if they don't gay them up anymore...