Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee

Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs up Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee

This is my second Jeep now on these forums. I sold my 88 and recently purchased a 91 on a steal. After A LOT.. of work.. ongoing I might add. I can finally drive it.

It runs excellent. Transmission is great.

So to do.. in the next two weeks I will include some pics.

Im doing a 3.5 inch Rubicon lift and Rubicon shocks, New rear brakes, Stereo system install. 6.5 alpines in the front, 10 inch Kenwood woofer .. building the little hidden enclosure in the rear except I will be using Fiberglass instead of foam. Deck and JBL /CrownPower series 4 channel amp. I will show a few of the install here.

I might do some fog lights I have some cheapies off ebay but I dont know if I want to install em or not yet.

So far, I have replaced the fuel pump, wiper relay, tons of check valves for the vacuum system, also tightened the steering wheel wobble.. then shortly after found a like new wheel from a non running 91 and just swapped them.

The amazing paint job you see is flat black rattle can and flat black bed liner. Which I love :P I will have the chrome handles mirrors and flat black the rest. I think its sexy.

I will link some images as I get it going. Thanks for checking it out and all of your help and suggestions. I love these forums and the many great users who love their Jeeps like i do!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Just got her home and checking her out.

The beauty that is spray on bed liner.. that bumper is now sexy.

SAGGGGING!... Rubicon will be here later in the week. Should be done next week. We will compare then.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM

lift done .. stereo installed.
Attached Thumbnails Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee-img_20110104_080356.jpg   Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee-img_20110101_125532.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 AM

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee-img_20110101_040433.jpg   Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee-img_20101231_204746.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Take it out during the day and get some full shots of the jeep. looks good so far. other plans?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM

So I will get more pics together.. so far the work done is.

Lift kit... RE 3.5 inch with rear springs

New brakes all the way around.. doing them myself saved about 500 dollars.

replaced Steering Column.. the old one was lose and all busted up.

replaced wiper relay.

replaced drivers seat

Cleaned up NSS now my reverse lights work and my jeep... STARTS! WOOHOO!

Stereo install, JBL/crown 4 channel amp, Alpine 6.5 inch SPR componants with custom kick panels to fit the 6.5s easily. Tweets in stock location I just cut the mounts to fit the new tweets. A single rockford 12 in a sealed box in the back.. I will be doing the custom box in the side panel there later when I have the time and a good low air space 10. A new JVC upper end deck with bluetooth, i pod control, dual 24bit burr brown DACs and all that jazz... and the custom colors of course LOL.

Replaced the broken bolt in my thermostat housing.. that was a rough one. had to tap out a new bolt into the block because the PO broke the bolt off IN the head. Thank god I have a handy cousin with cobalt bits and good with metal working and mechanics.

Fixed a million wiring issues. Now my lights and dash lights all work !

More to come..

still need

a front bumper.. new center console, power steering pump, HID headlight conversion, CB, custom sub box in rear side panel, new tires, a few other things.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

looks good man! oh....go steelers!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Ok so I cleaned up the NSS and it fixed my reverse lights and starting issues.

Now I'm leaking oil from the filter it looks like.. and my power steering works about 40 % of the time

Ill be driving and go to turn then have to be as strong as Arnold to get it to turn. Which isn't safe. My power steering resevior is still full not leaking anything.

So I don't know if its the pump or the gear box? going out. I dont know a thing about power steering. So I guess I will start with a new pump and go from there unless anyone has an idea? Like sometimes it works fine on a turn or two.. then.. BOOM no power at all. Seems to help ON OCCASION.. if I rev it up but not always.

Also.. it feels like my *** end is "light" I can peel out anywhere. It makes me nervous.. It has a lot of torque but not that much I mean I can spin the *** end around anywhere.

I was curious if thats from Rubicon telling me NOT to reinstall my rear sway bar? or if I installed something wrong maybe?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

anyone have any ideas on those issues? Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Steelcityfan29
Ok so I cleaned up the NSS and it fixed my reverse lights and starting issues.

Now I'm leaking oil from the filter it looks like.. and my power steering works about 40 % of the time

Ill be driving and go to turn then have to be as strong as Arnold to get it to turn. Which isn't safe. My power steering resevior is still full not leaking anything.

So I don't know if its the pump or the gear box? going out. I dont know a thing about power steering. So I guess I will start with a new pump and go from there unless anyone has an idea? Like sometimes it works fine on a turn or two.. then.. BOOM no power at all. Seems to help ON OCCASION.. if I rev it up but not always.

Also.. it feels like my *** end is "light" I can peel out anywhere. It makes me nervous.. It has a lot of torque but not that much I mean I can spin the *** end around anywhere.

I was curious if thats from Rubicon telling me NOT to reinstall my rear sway bar? or if I installed something wrong maybe?

Sounds like the power steering pump is on the way out.. Most XJ owners don't run their rear sway bar, Jeeps are light in the **** and the 4.0 has good low end torque..
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Year: 1988

You said you cleaned up your NSS and it fixed your reverse lights? What is NSS? My reverse lights do not work and I would like to fix them instead of adding backup lights to my rear bumper.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Thats the neutral Safety Switch on the passenger side of the transmission. its pretty easy to get to. Just look in the technical forums here for the write up and get some electronics cleaner and a brass wire brush. takes about an hour. If you have problems starting your jeep too.. this will help.

Anyone know about that oil leak where the little gooseneck comes into the oil filter.. its POURING oil now.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Got the new O ring set for the Oil Filter Adapter.. time for a **** of a job from what I hear to replace those and now my hood latch cable is having an attitude too.. hope some penetrating oil helps it LOL.

Should have a bumper and rack and lights before too long. I will get more pics as I can.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Year: 1992

good start so far
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks.. its getting there one part at a time LOL. It runs like new and shifts like new.. so thats good. Now If I could get it to quit breaking one part at a time as I fix one. I could get to adding stuff to it LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project 2 - Flat Black 91 Cherokee