Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation: Black and Blue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Operation: Black and Blue

Im starting a new build thread for my new XJ. Its a 99 XJ Sport. 4.0. AW4. NP231. Part of the deal with the seller was he kept the axles. Thats fine with me because I plan on building an 8.8 for the rear and a D30 for the front. The Jeep had been sitting for a little while, so Im pulling all the interior out to clean it. Already pulled the front fender flares and working on the rear. But if anyone saw my last build, you'll know this is a major upgrade. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can with this build

This is it sitting at my buddies house

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99-2-.jpg

Got it in the garage and pulled the axles

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.8.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.9.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.10.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.11.jpg

Started pulling the fender flares and seeing how the tires will look. Also mounted my JCR bumper

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.7.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.6.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.5.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.4.jpg

Operation: Black and Blue-new-99.3.jpg

Still have a lot of work to go, but I plan on having it done in the next few months

Last edited by MSizemore; 08-21-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Nice! Looks like a solid XJ.. Funny seeing one sitting on 4 spares. Gonna be a lot happier on the 33's (right?)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:54 PM

35s. But yeah, it was funny seeing it on donuts
Old 08-22-2016, 07:34 AM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Sweet! Looks like you've got a good, clean starting point.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 AM

TX Ramrod, yeah, its a clean Jeep. A whole lot better to build off of than my last one. And I love the gunmetal. Yours looks super clean with the chrome wheels. Ive read your whole build and am kind of jealous mine isn't at that point...yet
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 AM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by MSizemore
TX Ramrod, yeah, its a clean Jeep. A whole lot better to build off of than my last one. And I love the gunmetal. Yours looks super clean with the chrome wheels. Ive read your whole build and am kind of jealous mine isn't at that point...yet
I appreciate it. It'll get there, I had no intention of mine moving along this fast. I'm just glad it's at a point where I can finally enjoy it and slowly make upgrades from here.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TX RamRod
I appreciate it. It'll get there, I had no intention of mine moving along this fast. I'm just glad it's at a point where I can finally enjoy it and slowly make upgrades from here.
Yeah, I have my long arm kit sitting in the garage waiting to be put on, but I need to find a new front axle and find a 8.8 for the rear. Plus I need to clean the interior and a few other small things. But it'll come eventually. I usually only work on it on Saturdays so I can still have Sunday with my wife.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:32 PM

Well, I finally had some time to work on the Jeep today. Working 3rd shift gives me time during the day to get in the garage and work a few hours. I pulled the interior out and vacuumed the carpet. Didn't have any solution for the carpet cleaner, or I would have cleaned them. I pulled the center console to clean it off, and found the support broken. I also found I have no back seat. My buddy I bought it from parts out Jeeps and I guess the back seat was folded down in this one. He put all needed parts (door skins, speakers, etc) inside to put it all back together. I assume he didn't even notice the bottom section of the back seat was missing. But he has plenty to pick from. I just need to make my way down there. I still have plenty of work ahead of me. Still trying to sell the last remaining parts from my 89 XJ. Still trying to source a D30 and an 8.8. But Im taking my time with it because I want to get everything done right the first time. Now, onto pictures. Nothing really spectacular, but its progress for me.

This is what I found when I pulled the center console

Front seats out, and some trim pieces I still need to clean and put back in. Need to find new hardware to put trim back in.

Interior cleaned up halfway decent. Still want to use a carpet cleaner to get it looking better.

I got my center console cleaned up, but it still looks a little rough. Might try painting it or just buying a new one from the junkyard

Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Pretty sure I had the exact same coffee stains when I pulled the seats.. And carpets.. Those broken console mounts are notorious! Someone did a fabbed one from sheet metal. I'm gonna go look for it.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Pretty sure I had the exact same coffee stains when I pulled the seats.. And carpets.. Those broken console mounts are notorious! Someone did a fabbed one from sheet metal. I'm gonna go look for it.
JCR sells an aftermarket bracket. Might end up ordering it

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJCC-97-PC.html
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Here's the link to another forum member who has em for 60 shipped, so same price, but hes one of us.. Either way it would be nice to not have a wobbly console!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Thanks. I don't know if he is still making them. Not much chatter on that thread in a while. Its worth a PM, though
Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

True. Looks like he was online last month so it might be a waiting game..
Old 08-29-2016, 06:12 PM

Yeah. I think Dirtbound Offroad sells them for about $40. Might go that route
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 PM

Well, my project has taken a slight turn. I had every intention of building an 8.8 for the rear, but financially, that just isn't in the cards right now. I have a line on a 8.25 ready to bolt in for $150 that I'm gonna pick up. I still have my CAD D30 from my 89. I can throw that in since I swapped it to a long shaft. That will get the Jeep back on all fours and I can drive it like that. I'll slowly do my 8.8 build and hopefully have it ready to swap in the spring.

Quick Reply: Operation: Black and Blue