Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2000 XJ Rubicon Express Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI "Power Tech"
Default My 2000 XJ Rubicon Express Install

Here is my Jeep before the mods.

So I was originally going to go with an Iron Rock Offroad lift kit. But then I heard some things and ended up backing out of that deal. So then I went with Rubicon Express, and I am very happy that I did. I ordered my kit directly from Rubicon Express on Sept 9th and it arrived at my door on Sept 14th. Not bad at all considering I am in Canada. Matter of fact, that was the fastest shipping I have ever received when ordering anything from the States. Mike Koenig was my sales guy at Rubicon Express, he was very pleasant and professional to deal with and very knowledgeable about his products. He got me set right up and shipped my order out the same day I placed it. I couldn't ask for more.

Here is what I got.

RE6025 - 3.5" SuperRide kit with full leaf packs.
RE3715 - Upgraded my control arms to Super Flex adjustables.
RE1467 - 4* shim set
RE1600 - Adjustable track bar
RE1807 - SYE kit for my NP242
RE1898-335 - CVF Driveshaft

I also ordered some stuff from Quadratec.com which also has great speedy shipping to Canada, though not as good as Rubicon Express shipping ...

OME-SD40 - Old Man EMU Nitrocharger Steering Stabilizer
OME-N36L - Old Man EMU Nitrocharger Rear Shocks
OME-N35L - Old Man EMU Nitrocharger Front Shocks
55200.6132 - 32 Tooth Speedometer Gear

For tires and rims I went with Nokian Vatiiva M/T 31x10.5R15 tires mounted on Core Racing Explorer Rims 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing.

Here's my beautiful parts...

Everything I ordered arrived in perfect condition. I was more than happy with the build quality of all the parts. Everything is built extremely tough and designed to take a pounding. Very impressive stuff.

Last edited by EvilMaster; 09-20-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 AM

So then it was time to install it all.

I've never been a big fan of stickers. But these deserve to be here.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 AM

And when it was all done...We rolled it out.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 AM

The verdict...I got 5" of lift up front and 5.5" in the back. Everything went together perfectly. The SYE kit and driveshaft installed like a dream, took around 45 minutes start to finish. The whole kit took a little over 10 hours of work, not a single missing part, not a single problem at all. I am still amazed at how smooth it went. The truck rides WAYYYY better than stock, it's super smooth. I put a hundred kilometers on it today over some very rough roads to rattle it out for a re-torque/re-grease session. I went over washboard mining roads that would rattle the average vehicle to pieces and it was smooth as silk. It tracks perfectly straight. No death wobbles or any other kind of steering irregularities at any speed. No tire rubbing at all anywhere. No vibrations at all anywhere or weird noises. Just nothing at all, it is a vast improvement in every way over my stock XJ. Matter of fact, I had some vibrations and noises here and there on my stock XJ, and those are all gone now. It has never run this smooth since I got it.

If you have an Automatic 2000 XJ 4.0l with a Chrysler 8.25 rear end and an NP242-J transfer case. This kit is for you, it's perfect.

I friggin love my Jeep!

Last edited by EvilMaster; 09-20-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWespme looking kit... sounds like you are vbery happy with the set up... I too have just ordered my OME Nitro shocks, and have gone for a Pro Comp Steering Damper. LOve them wheels, they really set off the Jeep, Just one question did you have any trouble removing the old rear shocks from the top mounts, heard they can give ya grief ???

cheers
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks man!

Still messing around with tweaking the alignment and stuff, but I am more than happy with the kit I bought. Those OME shocks are the best built shocks I have ever seen. The ride is amazing, it's a 100% improvement over the stock ride in every way. You will be very happy with them. These things live to make washboard roads and pot holes seem irrelevant.

I was worried about the rear shock bolts as well, but we didn't break any of them. I sprayed them a couple hours before with some penetrating oil and we took our time to heat them up a bit and then slowly rock them out by loosening a quarter turn and re-spraying with penetrating oil, then tightening then loosening again over and over and they just came right out smooth as can be.

The only bolts in the whole truck that we cut out with the grinder were the front lower sway end link bolts. We cut them short with the grinder and then used a hammer chisel to knock the bolts out. Took about 15 minutes for both. Otherwise it was a super smooth install.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

looks great whereabouts in Canada i got family up there
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM

Thanks.

I am in Northern Ontario. A mining town called Sudbury.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 PM

Hey EvilMaster did you do the hack and tap sye? It looks like ti anyway. What kit did you get and where did ya get the drive shaft from? I am think that is going to be my next thing on the list.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Sorry i found all the info! I just have to open my eyes!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 AM

I highly recommend the Rubicon Express SYE & Shaft kit. It is very high quality and very heavy duty. It's built to last. It went in without any problems, the SYE kit includes all necessary hardware and even includes the necessary drill bit and tap to install it. You won't need anything else out of the box. The driveshaft came with all new u-joints front to back and new u-joint straps and bolts to hook it up to your diff. Plus easy to follow instructions.

I see you have the NP242 with the Chrysler 8.25. Along with the Re1807 SYE kit, the shaft you need is part number RE1898-335, same as me.

I get zero vibrations or funny noises with this kit at any speed. It rides smoother than stock. You will be happy with this product.

Here is a step by step installation guide. https://docs.google.com/document/pub...FAKmBeFomLc9zQ

Last edited by EvilMaster; 09-21-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 AM

Thanks Evil! I really need to do this. I have 3.5in Rubicon springs on the back too and i would like to put 1 or 1.5in shackles on but don't dare. I am going to hold out till i get a sye. That set up would only be about $400 for everything ya need thru RE. Not to bad really for getting a new shaft and the sye kit? Thanks again if i have any Q's i will get back ahold of ya.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by EvilMaster
Thanks.

I am in Northern Ontario. A mining town called Sudbury.
thats cool i got family in montreal, british columbia, and edmunston...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 PM

All 3 of those are beautiful cities. Canada is a great place.

I did a few more upgrades since my last update here.

- Due to being exhausted from this install, we managed to set the front differential off by an inch. (Don't ask me, I don't know how the hell it happened)...I did notice a slight growl in the front end when driving, but I thought it might have been the larger more aggressive tires. Well...A pool of diff fluid in my driveway gave me a heads up, I had blown my front pinion seal due to the miss alignment of my front drive shaft. So, another alignment was needed. I got the pinion seal all replaced and serviced my front diff. Then spent 3 hours loosening up the whole front end, bringing the diff back into position and adjusting everything to make it right. It's all good now.

I also picked up this today...

Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System5702V

Responder LC3 – the 3rd generation of Responder, complete with SST One Mile Range, the new Priority icons and text seen on a 20% larger liquid-crystal display, an onboard lithium-ion rechargeable battery with mini-USB recharging – all in the slimmest display remote on the market.

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V

Viper SmartStart
Are you tired of carrying around another clunky remote control on your keyring, or finding yourself out of range when you really need to warm up or cool down your car before getting in? Now you can remote start or lock and unlock your car just by pushing a button on your iPhone iPad or iPod Touch; using the popular Viper SmartStart app from Directed Electronics, the leader in vehicle security and remote start.

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/iPhone/Features.aspx

Going to get it installed tomorrow at 1pm. I'll get some pics for you guys of that.

And I ordered this today...

Super 50 Series (SUV) 2.25"IN(O)/OUT(C)
The Super 50 Series muffler is a larger version of Flowmaster's 50 Series Delta Flow muffler. Originally designed for trucks and SUV's, it is also well suited to muscle car and high performance applications. In addition, the larger case size significantly reduces interior resonance and provides a deep, rich tone along with mileage and power gains. Constructed of 16-gauge aluminized steel and fully MIG-welded for maximum durability.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...oducts_id=3303

Gonna install that next Friday hopefully. I'll get pics of that also.

Otherwise, I've taken the Jeep out into the wilderness and I couldn't be happier. It floats over terrain and obstacles that would leave other vehicles hopelessly hung up. It's so smooth, I am really loving this lift kit, it's the best thing I have ever done to a vehicle!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Out of the blue, I got an email from Mike Koenig the other day to check up on me and make sure I was happy with the lift kit!...Rubicon Express has really got their **** together, it's little things like this that set a company apart from all the others. This "go the extra mile" type of service is what makes a company great.

If any of you who are reading this are thinking of going with a Rubicon Express lift kit. Trust me...DO IT!, you will be more than happy.

Quick Reply: My 2000 XJ Rubicon Express Install