Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make my Cherokee road safe

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6
Talking Make my Cherokee road safe

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 2000 cherokee, 4" RC lift, last week. There are some issues with this jeep and this thread is to solve some of those issues.

Here is the Jeep;

I'm missing a front sway bar link, I ordered a new set from Zone offroad

There is a broken steering box bolt, I'll replace this and add a new steering box spacer from JCR

The front bumper mount is missing bolts, I'll replace these and try to solve the cut out issue the previous owner gave to me

Loose front upper shock bolt

The upper rear shock bolts were broken, I'll install some Bar Pin Eliminators from Zone offroad

And to round it all off, replace the rear shocks with Zone offroad shocks....my jeep didnt come with rear shocks....lol

I have placed my order for these parts so as soon as they come in the fun will begin.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

That is one sick lookin jeep, looks like you got your work cut out for you but it should be really nice when you are done. I would try to get as much of that rust off as you can and hit it all with some rustoleum paint though..just my .02,
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Didn't work on the jeep, but my order should arrive on Monday. I did get to work on my DD ( Kia Spectra). I bought rotors and pads for all 4 corners. I did the back brakes first and it went fairly well but when I went to take the first front caliper off, this happened;

LOL! don't get tools from Kmart. This used to be a 1/2 drive ratchet. At lest I had a good reason to go buy a new one....plus a matching braker bar. Rest of the install went great.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

It rained a good part of the day, but I did get under the jeep and pound two of the welded nuts off the upper rear shock mount area. I'll get the rest done on my next day off if it doesnt rain. My parts should come by "Brown Truck" today.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

The brown truck stopped by yesterday and left this at the door

The truck should be stopping here today also, since I forgot to order shock boots.... Today I plan on getting this all installed...if the crumb crunchers give me time to do it. The steering spacer is from JCR and the rest is from Zone offroad.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

I started today by working on the sway bar links. The only problem I had was with the drivers side. I went to take the top bolt off the drivers side ( i was missing the passenger side link when I bought the jeep) link and the bolt wanted to spin. Since I had new links.......Angle Grinder time!!! I then thought it would be good to take the sway bar off and repaint it. One of the bolt's on the drivers side wanted to spin;

The bolts for the front sway bar bushing, does that screw in to a threaded hole or is there a nut welded in side the frame?

I put the sway bar painting on hold, I think I may need new bushings, we'll see.

I then moved to the back, I installed some bar pin eliminators. Made quick work of the broke upper mount bolts ( the PO kindly left me four broke bolts and no rear shocks), My neighbor let me borrow his air hammer.

Tried fishing in new bolts (5/8-16, 1 1/2 ) but thet were too long. So I used some duct tape and a wrench and fished that through the access. That worked really well. I then went to take the nut off the lower drivers side mount........SNAP! Off the the store to get me supplies for drilling, and tapping. Thats where I ended the day. I just have to put the shocks on and tighten it down, then on to the steering box to remove the broken bolt and install the JCR spacer.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

The install is complete for the most part (I'll get photos in a few). This is what I did yesterday;

Its a 1995 Grand Cherokee drag link. solid rod and beefier than the oem of my 2000 cherokee. The adjuster fel apart on my drag link so since I had to replace it might as well upgrade.

During the install the passenger side tie rod end on the tie rod wouldn't tighten, the bolt just spun in the ball joint. So I went to advance auto and got this;

It's OEM but I didn't have the funds to do the Grand Cherokee upgrade on the tie rod, maybe in a few weeks.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Default Blue Coyote

Went mudding last weekend, had a blast with the club (TA Jeeps) up by Reed City, MI.

Today I'll work on the Coyote installing a new stabilizer and a new boot for my tie rod, plus put the 32's back on. Blue Coyote looks better with bigger feet.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

did you get the shock boots yet? they dont really help dirt will get in there anyway, nice build so far, need to tackle that rust also, and get it done before it does any more damage. Hope you got a good deal on that cherokee considering all the important stuff that was missing
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jonjon99xj
did you get the shock boots yet? they dont really help dirt will get in there anyway, nice build so far, need to tackle that rust also, and get it done before it does any more damage. Hope you got a good deal on that cherokee considering all the important stuff that was missing
Got the boots for the shocks. If anything they give the shocks a better look. I have to cut out the rocker on both sides cause of the rust. I'm thinking of not putting new rockers in and just get some sliders, ideas and thoughts are welcome on this. I also have a bad spot above the Cat, still thinking on what to do with that.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: I've had a few...
Engine: A secret

kill the rust the best you can and add new rockers. they don't have to look stock, just something there so that salt doesn't start slapping your unibody. Its easy if you can hold a decent bead.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Any updates on this project? I'll be working on steering & suspension next too...
Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wildspear
Didn't work on the jeep, but my order should arrive on Monday. I did get to work on my DD ( Kia Spectra). I bought rotors and pads for all 4 corners. I did the back brakes first and it went fairly well but when I went to take the first front caliper off, this happened;

LOL! don't get tools from Kmart. This used to be a 1/2 drive ratchet. At lest I had a good reason to go buy a new one....plus a matching braker bar. Rest of the install went great.
This will come in handy at least once in the future....