Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ham Radio mobile

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ham Radio mobile

So since I'm back into the the Jeep thing. I guess I'll start a build thread of my new to me 2000 Jeep.

Some little back story got this originally as a "secondary family vehicles" once my son was born last month, sold my quad to get it. Now that I got bit by the Jeep bug again more plans have come to mind along with adding some ham radio equiment. Granted this is going to be a slow build like most others, but between junkyard finds and some wheeling and dealing I think it could become something good.

The Start.
Found a 2000 completely stock silver XJ on craigslist. guy said that he cooling system was recently replaced due to head gasket failing
-had a minor oil leak (more on that later).
-Driver power window didn't work, power mirrors didn't work, and only the driver could control the other three windows.
-Driver seat has a lean to it
-stickers on the hatch need to come OFF!!! (I hate stickers on my vehicles)

Fast forward, been driving it to work a couple day a week to see how it feels and here we go.

First replaced the driver's door switch pack, I know there's how-to repairs online but the guy before me "attempted" that and he ruined the circuit board that a new one was needed ($25 on amazon). Rear hatch gas supports blew out unloading groceries so those have been replaced.

Finally was able to look at the cause of the oil leak and a new oil pan gasket is needed and might as well replace the rear master seal while I'm in there. also the valve cover gasket looks like it's leaking a little bit too . a Squeel developing and I think it's the AC compressor or the serpentine belt and the heater isn't working that great (back wash most likely). So in all it's a Jeep and the previous owner kind of neglected it that's probably why he sold it. Now it's time for a tune-up/minor rebuild I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Ham Radio mobile-16508992_1632061466809297_2472475530131421710_n.jpg   Ham Radio mobile-16603095_1632061470142630_7442894437436461898_n.jpg  

Last edited by arapier; 02-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

You drew me in with Ham Radio, but then I get here and only a single mention of it. How disappointing.

Looks like a decent foundation though.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
You drew me in with Ham Radio, but then I get here and only a single mention of it. How disappointing.

Looks like a decent foundation though.
Just got it the thing but don't worry it will be more for the ham radio part, think solar and more power! But first I gotta get this thing running reliably. Since I plan on taking it to the mountains for some ham radio events and other things that go along with that.

Last edited by arapier; 02-27-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

A 2000...with a supposed head gasket failure...hmmm...it was probably a cracked head. If everything else checked out you got a nice deal. I would still look over that cooling system to make sure even though it was supposedly replaced.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Martlor13
A 2000...with a supposed head gasket failure...hmmm...it was probably a cracked head. If everything else checked out you got a nice deal. I would still look over that cooling system to make sure even though it was supposedly replaced.
Agreed. Keep an eye on the coolant reservoir. If you're mysteriously loosing coolant, odds are good it has a cracked head. The 00-01 are notorious for it. We don't mean to scare ya, just want to let you know.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Agreed. Keep an eye on the coolant reservoir. If you're mysteriously loosing coolant, odds are good it has a cracked head. The 00-01 are notorious for it. We don't mean to scare ya, just want to let you know.
Nah I don't see it as you guys scaring me you're all more knowledgeable than I am. I need to clean the engine anyways it'll be worth taking a closer look at.

Last edited by arapier; 02-27-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Sorry for the delay new baby and shift changes will do that to ya. As for an update I did clean the engine inspected the head more thoroughly with no cracks found, and cooling res seems to be holding thanks for the heads up guys. Working on sketching out the plans for the cargo area for the ham radio/power equipment. Was able to find a cheap set of wheels and tires since the ones on the jeep are pretty thrashed, mainly bought them for the tires and the full size spare for right now.

Something that has come up is yesterday when I was driving the jeep running errands, when I stopped and turned the engine off and sat for about 20 minutes or so, when I went to start the thing back up it started to idle rough and oil pressure took a while to get up to normal pressure. Did that twice yesterday, fast forward to this afternoon on my way to work a block from my house I get a check engine light with a P0301. Looked it up and it has a whole list of possible causes, but given what I experience yesterday, I think it might be the coil packs. Researching more just to make sure and seeing what it takes to pin point the cause.
Attached Thumbnails Ham Radio mobile-p0301.jpg  

Last edited by arapier; 03-17-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 AM

Here we are again with this basket case of a Jeep. As some have mentioned a cracked head that did come to light along with a host of other issues. So this thing in the shop getting a whole new engine since it was cheaper to go crate motor than rebuilding the old one. But since it’s been a while I’ve added a 3.5” lift and some new shoes. Still need to cut and fold the fenders. Get the ham radio and remote power setup built and installed and maybe bumpers.

Last edited by arapier; 08-10-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Sucks but gotta take it in stride. I should have gone that route, I think you'll be glad you did more peace of mind that way.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:48 AM

Finally get to doing the fun stuff. Jeep is back and is running great needs an alignment but that’s getting taken care of later today. Started measuring out the cargo area to start the storage addition for the tech gear I know a few would be curious about. Crappy hand sketches coming soon
Old 11-16-2018, 06:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

So.....did you ever get your mobile installed?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 AM

Not a dedicated one yet right now I use a yaesu uhf/vhf ht with a mag mount. been looking at antenna mounting options and I need to get ahold of a roof console and see if I can modify it or use it as a template to make my own
Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by arapier
been looking at antenna mounting options
Through the center of the roof... unless of course you are going to run a big basket or roof top tent or some such or afraid to cut a little hole.
Driver's front fender would be my next go to location.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
Through the center of the roof... unless of course you are going to run a big basket or roof top tent or some such or afraid to cut a little hole.
Driver's front fender would be my next go to location.
I was looking at the jcr tail light mount and then I found out they copied a guy from here. I’ll probably get two from the guy on here one for each side. Because I’m a nerd like that