Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First jeep Build (open for advice)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6
Talking First jeep Build (open for advice)

Hello this is my first jeep build (1992 2 door jeep Cherokee Briawood) It is all stock except for the wheels on it. I am not sure what all i want to do to it yet but I'm thinking about a 3.0 inch lift for starts hopefully something on the cheaper side. Any ideas? I was thinking after the lift of getting something for the front because i need something to hook on to if i get stuck and need pulled out from the front. Leave ideas in the comments.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 AM
TMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 6 Cyl

Welcome to the Forum!

And looks like were almost twins gotta love those 2 doors

I have 3" on mine (1" upcountry/2" BB) and it rides fairly decent. Its just a 2" spacer up front and add-a-leafs in the rear. I want to swap it all though for actual springs eventually.

As far as recovery for the front, the cheapest/easiest and quickest would be front tow hooks. You can find them on some XJ's in the junkyards, or there are several aftermarket ones you can buy. Like so:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ok-kit-xj.html

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep...FdKEfgodOIkARA

Get ready for a whole lot of fun. Like I once read somewhere.....

"Jeeps: It ain't worth it for everybody, but for some its more."
Old 11-20-2014, 07:26 AM

Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome.

Do your research on the lift heighth you are looking for. Some people are satisfied with only 'name' (higher end) brand lift companies, and some are satisfied with entry level companies. Asking for help in determining which direction to go is an awesome thing, but ultimately it is your Jeep and your decision. It boils down to your budget and the type of wheeling you do, or don't do.

I had an entry level kit on my previous xj. I never had it offroad, but the road manners are on par with my current mid level kit. Don't overlook the importance of good shocks either.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! For the tow hooks that's a pretty good idea I'm going to have to find a junkyard that hold's jeep i have looked on craigslist but no prevail. And for the lift kit I'm not buying for brand, As long as it does what it is meant to do i will be happy. In the end im going to be all kind's of wheeling such as hill climb, rock climb and mudding. We also get a lot of snow here.

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 11-20-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 PM

For dealing with snow and future off road plans, you need to invest on good offroad tires out there. These sites usually give good prices and discount by matching the lowest price:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV
http://4wheelonline.com/Off_Road_Mud_Tires.25
Some all terrain tires that's good on snow too are General Grabber AT2, Goodyear Wrangler Adventure and BFG T/A KO or newest KO2.
Some serious rock crawlers, climbers and mudders here install dana lockers and rock sliders so you may want to research further on those.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Year: 1997

Rusty's or Rough Country 3" lift would be a good entry level place to start for a lift probably. I'm holding off on a lift until after the new year...so I'm going with 235/75/15's for the time being (supposed to be the biggest the XJ comfortably fits at stock ride height) and walmart happens to have a smoking deal on Goodyear Wranglers in that size right now.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Yea i have seen the rough country lift kits and I'm seriously considering them, and as for off road tires i can get some good ones on craigslist for cheap and just keep them in the shed when I'm not wheeling and use my stock ones. So tires aren't an issue. But ran into an issue today when my gas tank started leaking (my guess is i went through a snow bank to quick and split it) So i might be set back 200$ that was going towards the build. Oh well. But anyways again thanks for the advice i will have pictures up of any wheeling that i do in the next few weeks. I probably wont start many big add on's to my jeep til spring though because it's to damn cold to be out in the driveway for 6 hours installing a lift haha.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Welcome! Cool 2 door. I have a Rusty's lift on my XJ, and I really like it. The quality of their springs is really good, and they're made in the USA. The price is on par with Rough Country, but personally, I like the quality of Rusty's better. Just my 2 cents. Hope the build goes well for you, can't wait to see it lifted and on big ol' tires!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Thanks green! I am honestly thinking about spray painting it a dark green with some military numbers and stuff on it (not getting it done officially because it will get beat up anyways) but any ideas on what color and brand of spray paint i should use and where i can get the stencils? Any help is accepted!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM

Spray painting large sections at a time can be a pain in the butt. Hit up autozone and buy some rustoleum.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...pment-brush-on

Or some Valspar http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-...nt-enamel.html
http://www.texasbillybob.com/dodge-ram/dodge-ram.htm

Roll/Brush it on

The valspar has a darker green.

Last edited by johnduplechain; 11-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM

That looks like it could work well, although I still think I'm going to spray paint it, mostly because I like the Matt spray paint look. But I have til spring to figure it out because I cant do much work on my jeep until It is warm enough to ride my motorcycle due to me only having those 2 vehicles.

This is the paint i was thinking of:
Amazon Amazon

I think i can get it cheaper though.

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 11-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Originally Posted by CherokeeHoonigan
That looks like it could work well, although I still think I'm going to spray paint it, mostly because I like the Matt spray paint look. But I have til spring to figure it out because I cant do much work on my jeep until It is warm enough to ride my motorcycle due to me only having those 2 vehicles.

This is the paint i was thinking of: http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-53522-I.../dp/B000RMPKEC

I think i can get it cheaper though.
That's good stuff. Krylon also makes a camo paint that comes in a cool, matte OD green. Krylon is probably the best spray paint out there.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i got my xj on RE 3.5 lift with full leafs, gave me 4-4-.5 in the front and close to 5 in the rear, currently have 32's
Attached Thumbnails First jeep Build (open for advice)-image.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Nice jeep man they must not use salts on the roads where you live because that thing is clean as hell haha.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 PM

There is going to be a slight delay in the build due to a leak in my gas tank *sigh* But i will get it fixed and continue soon!

Quick Reply: First jeep Build (open for advice)