Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Da Funk-My 1995 Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Da Funk-My 1995 Cherokee Sport

Here's my build thread for my 95' Sport. It's a 4.0L with the AW4 auto, 2WD (will be 4x4 someday) and a Chresler 8.25 rear. It's not much of a build thread really, more of a progression from stock till now. But hopefully I'll have more cool stuff to add with time. My girlfriend is a photographer and we both are into nature photography as a hobby. My Jeep has been the perfect vehicle to get us, and all our gear, the kayak or the canoe, and sometimes even a few friends, where ever we wanted to go. And it'll be with us on many more adventures in the future!

This is a picture from the craigslist ad for my Jeep when i bought it a few years ago. She was a well maintained 1-owner in nearly mint condition.

The very first thing I did after I got it was give it a serious detail job inside and out, and I put together a homemade air intake to replace the factory airbox.

After that I added a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust from 4WD hardware, and a Magnaflow cayalytic converter. I also added a pair of cheapo Baja 55w driving lights.

I never did like the red rubber trim on the rockers, or the red pinstripe that my Jeep had. So after painting my stock wheels gloss black I decided it would look better without the factory rocker trim. So I pulled it off there and painted the rockers with Duplicolor bedliner.

Not long after that I covered the pinstriping with satin black paint, blacked out the tail lamps and the front corner lamps with VHT Nightshades. I also upgraded the speakers to Pioneer units, and added a JL W7 sub. The JL was WAY too loud for my tastes so I swapped it for this more moderate Infinity. Oh yeah, and I had to add some fishing rod storage!

Next up was to lift it. My stock leafs were saggin pretty bad so I added a Rough Country 3" lift with full leaf packs. I also opted for the nirto shock upgrade which has made for a pretty nice ride. I also installed the Reese trailer hitch, but I have since removed it for ground clearance as it hung down rather low.

Whether it's the canoe or the kayak, my Jeep always gets me to whatever lake, river, or bay i'm trying to fish!

A couple off road pictures, no thread is complete without those!

And that's the most recent picture i've got of it, after a fun day out on the trail.

I've got alot of plans for the future for her, and I'll add to this as I get more stuff done. But you know how it goes, my time and my money can never keep up with my wants and needs when it comes to my Jeep, lol!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Nice pics man! I like the shots with the canoe on the top I strapped a flat bottom to mine once... it looked pretty sweet.
I also installed the Reese trailer hitch, but I have since removed it for ground clearance as it hung down rather low.
My dad just did the same thing. He got a brand new Reese hitch for his only to find out its low as hell If you still want a hitch for it get a DrawTight. It mounts up nice and high, I have never had any trouble with mine dragging.

Also where did you get that fishing rod rack? I like it it mounts up in there nice. I really need to get one of those before fishing season rolls around again.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Good looking 95 XJ Sport!!! Nice job on the Air Intake.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cliff
Nice pics man! I like the shots with the canoe on the top I strapped a flat bottom to mine once... it looked pretty sweet. My dad just did the same thing. He got a brand new Reese hitch for his only to find out its low as hell If you still want a hitch for it get a DrawTight. It mounts up nice and high, I have never had any trouble with mine dragging.

Also where did you get that fishing rod rack? I like it it mounts up in there nice. I really need to get one of those before fishing season rolls around again.
Thanks for the tip on the Draw Tight, I've kinda been looking for another one for a recovery point, and I really like where yours sits right up under the bumper, very nice. It's either that or a JCR rear bumper with the receiver in it.

The rod rack was from sports authority, it's made by berkely and it only costs about 12 bucks. I just used a couple screws to attach it right to the interior trim, and it works great! You could have it in and ready to go in like 15-20 minutes. I also used a couple small bungees to strap the rods in, and they never move. not even while wheelin!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Good looking 95 XJ Sport!!! Nice job on the Air Intake.
Thanks Buck!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

nice rig man, that thing is lookin sick!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

gotta love the baja lights
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks funkle95xj! I actully just went on Berkley and found this new one they came out with... I cant mount it right to my roof.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA
Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the compliments all!

Originally Posted by Cliff
Thanks funkle95xj! I actully just went on Berkley and found this new one they came out with... I cant mount it right to my roof.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA
That's awesome! I might just need to upgrade my setup now!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

your intake filter... how is that supported? i bought a kit similar to yours on ebay and the directions on how you prop the filter up blow
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake

What part #'s did you use to make it .It looks really nice. Nice ride.
George
Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Seasoned Member

I used the bottom half of the stock airbox to support th intake. I just notched the plastic so that the tube sat down on it nicely. I plan widening the induction hole behind the headlight and enclosing the fliter in an insulated box to kinda make it a "cold air intake" sometime in the future.

I'm not sure on the part numbers, but it's a straight peice of intake tubing available at pep boys, I also used their little kit to drill and install vaccuum lines on the tube. Then just two large hose clamps, one to the stock tube, and one on the filter. the filter is from Advance auto parts, and it's just one of their better cotton gauze filters, about $25-$30 I think.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Correction: It's not a straight tube, it's a 130 degree angle or something like that. They only have thre different angles to choose from, 180 (straight), 90 (right angle), and the one I used (slight bend). Thanks for the props guys!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Your on 235's with that 3" right?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool rig Da-Funk...
Nice lift paired with tough looking tires and wheels...

Quick Reply: Da Funk-My 1995 Cherokee Sport