Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee Rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Rebuild!

So on Feb 26th i bought this jeep, and a week later this happens. the shop i toke it to says that my axle is bent. i'm new to this but these axes bend from this???

also can i get this lower control arm welded back on? or do i need a new assembly?

the sway bar is obviously broken and spring bent. the from and body wasn't harmed besides for the obvious. need some opinions.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I'm guessing, by the pictures, the tire and wheel are what took the brunt of the impact. Which would explain ripping the lower control arm mount off the frame (oops, it's off the axle), and when that happened, the tire was forced into the fender damaging it. If that is what happened, then yes that could be enough to bend the axle. That sucks. If I were in your shoes, I would look at replacing both lower control arms with a long arm kit. It's not cheap, but you've already got one bracket off, and I also wouldn't be surprised if you had to replace that control arm on that side anyway, possibly even both upper and lower. Considering how everything is shifted to the driver's side, the other side may be in bad shape as well. Definitely needs a good going over to see what is salvageable and what is junk now. Just my $.02.

Last edited by knobturner75; 03-10-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by knobturner75
I'm guessing, by the pictures, the tire and wheel are what took the brunt of the impact. Which would explain ripping the lower control arm mount off the frame, and when that happened, the tire was forced into the fender damaging it. If that is what happened, then yes that could be enough to bend the axle. That sucks. If I were in your shoes, I would look at replacing both lower control arms with a long arm kit. It's not cheap, but you've already got one bracket off, and I also wouldn't be surprised if you had to replace that control arm on that side anyway, possibly even both upper and lower. Considering how everything is shifted to the driver's side, the other side may be in bad shape as well. Definitely needs a good going over to see what is salvageable and what is junk now. Just my $.02.
The part of the lower control are you see hanging there is the part that was welded to the from axe housing. i'm just letting you know incase you can tell me anything else. thank you Ryan
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Oh ok. It's hard to tell which end is broke. In that case, the long arm would still be nice to get, but are a big investment in these challenging times. If you think keeping the stock one is what you want, then Rusty's Offroad and other companys sell control arm mount kits that you can buy and weld on, just look in the builder parts. It's hard to tell if the mount is salvageable or not in the picture. The shop should be able to tell you. You could go junk yard shopping for a D30 replacement since that will be just an easy bolt in fix, and probably your cheapest route. Not to mention you could pick up your new sway bar and anything else you need. But.... if you are planning on swapping in stronger axles (D44 or other) at some time, now may be the time to do it. This option will not be a cheap one either, though. I would still inspect everything that you are re-using. Doesn't hurt to play it safe with something that important. I'm sure you already know that though.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by knobturner75
Oh ok. It's hard to tell which end is broke. In that case, the long arm would still be nice to get, but are a big investment in these challenging times. If you think keeping the stock one is what you want, then Rusty's Offroad and other companys sell control arm mount kits that you can buy and weld on, just look in the builder parts. It's hard to tell if the mount is salvageable or not in the picture. The shop should be able to tell you. You could go junk yard shopping for a D30 replacement since that will be just an easy bolt in fix, and probably your cheapest route. Not to mention you could pick up your new sway bar and anything else you need. But.... if you are planning on swapping in stronger axles (D44 or other) at some time, now may be the time to do it. This option will not be a cheap one either, though. I would still inspect everything that you are re-using. Doesn't hurt to play it safe with something that important. I'm sure you already know that though.
ok i really appreciate the info! but i have a few questions. i have 31 x 10.5 wheels on my jeep and probably wont go bigger. i will be mostly driving from ny to conn. to rhode island so mostly high way. what axles and rings and pinions are best for my situation. again this mught be a stupid question to some but i'm a newb. currently i have id # 52069194 on my front axle cover. i would like to go stronger but if it's at the exspense of losing gas mileage forget it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

well, with that kind of driving i would just do the basic D30 front with either the xj chrysler 8.25 or the xj D44 with 4.10's. but i guess that is opinion.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 AM
CF Veteran

pm sent back
Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM

i'm lost as to what to do here.

So i was driving my jeep when i first got it from penn to ny and noticed after driving for 3 and a half hours the fuel gauge still said full. so i look underneath to the fuel tank and saw this mess. anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 AM
CF Veteran

wow. what a mess.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JakeWI
wow. what a mess.
you're telling me. i think it's just the wrong fuel pump.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

get a new assembly it will include the fuel pump the pick up and the sending unit. it looks to be on the gas tank side of the plug. if on the other get a shop Manuel and it should help on the wiring
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by a1racer
get a new assembly it will include the fuel pump the pick up and the sending unit. it looks to be on the gas tank side of the plug. if on the other get a shop Manuel and it should help on the wiring

o ok i didn't know that that part comes with those wires. thanks for the help.

edit: i've been looking for 2 hours and can't find a hole fuel pump and sending unit.

Last edited by Blackice087; 03-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 AM

i work at advance and every pump we sell for the xj's come with the entire assembly including the harness, try searching for master or airtex brand pumps.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Steveo
i work at advance and every pump we sell for the xj's come with the entire assembly including the harness, try searching for master or airtex brand pumps.
i have an airtex sitting on my table just waiting for me to stop being a lazy *** and put it in i hate working with gas
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
ema

Found airtex fuel pump at that site. Although, it seems that more people favors Carter brands which are, according to them, relatively cheaper than Airtex but is more efficient.What do you think?

Quick Reply: Cherokee Rebuild!