Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Should i do for Flares
BW Flat Flares
58.70%
BW Cut Outs
26.09%
Stock Flares
15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

99 XJ Build on a E4 Budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 XJ Build on a E4 Budget

This will be my first build thread, ive owned a 94 Dodge ram 1500 with 9" lift. -> a 1999 dodge ram 2500 cummins all done up 500hp at the wheels and 1k torque. now i own my 2000 Camaro SS (which is currently in hibernation) and that brings me to my XJ, she is a 1999 4Door Green Classic with the Camel interior. factory tow package/up country package/and many other goodies....

I bought it with a ("3 Inch lift" more like 2 in the front and stock in the rear with the sagg it has going on) and some beat up 31" cooper stt's. the engine wire harness was chopped up and had a ebay "performance" chip spliced into the wires going to the engine temp sender needless to say my harness was trashed and my temp gauge had a mind of its own. i replaced the harness with a used one off ebay and now it runs mint. i did all the basic tune up stuff(plugs/wires/filters/fluids etc...)

here she is when i bought her...

i will take some pictures of the XJ tomarow with my new DSLR so we have some updated pics of her as of now.

right now i added 31" Goodyear Duratracs,Hella 500's on the front bumper,and a small stereo system with a 12" alpine type r in the back.

i have a HUGE pile of parts but am waiting for some to come in so i can install it all at once.

List of parts that i can think of as of now without looking in the garage is:
3.5" Rubicon Express SuperRide lift with Full Leafs
RE Monotube Shocks(currently ordered waiting for arrival)
SS Extended Front and Rear brake Line plus all new Hard steel lines
Rustys offroad Steering conversion kit for Tierod/drag link.
rustys offroad HD Track Bar
Rustys Offroad Dual steering stabilizers
JCR offroad pre runner winch bumper(on order)
Advanced Adapters SYE kit (shipped waiting for arrival)
Tom woods DS(Waiting on dimensions after SYE install and lift install but paid for)
rustys offroad Steering box brace.

and thats just what i remember now. im waiting to do it all in a bit install with lots of pictures once all the main parts i need come in IE the shocks and SYE. because i will need a alignment for alot of it and some brake bleeding to be done but it all would be alot easier to do in one shot since it needs the lift to be installed....

anyways i will update with more pics of the XJ as it sits now tomarow.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

wow you didnt waste any time lol, nice jeep, should look and drive good once you get all that done, are you gonna do any wheelin in it?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Year: 92 abd 98 XJ
Engine: 4.0

nice ride bro, keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Year: 1998

The E4 budget doesn't seem so bad. Thank you for serving. We have a lot of members on here in the military. I like the Ram! And the SS... AND the cherokee. Haha my brother had an SS before he joined the Marines. He sold it right before he went in. Now that he's out he wishes he still had the thing. It was a beauty. Nice cars man. I'll be looking forward to this build!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Got some nice pictures to start this build out! here is how she sits now!

Before i washed here for the photoshoot haha

and heres my copilot
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

O and that baby flex was with the front sway bar attached since i dont have quick disconnects yet up there
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

mines also on an E4 budget.. just not Chairforce

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pics-mine-71791/
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

haha yea, i wish i was Dedicated Crew Chief of a mohogany bomber...im a FCC tho on the C5

nice jeep btw
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

The Camaro sleeping.....

And the parts bin...lift is at my moms house becuase it came on a pallet haha
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

It came with a "dual" exhaust, which is on its way out. its just a flowmaster thats single inlet dual outlet and a custom bent pipe on the left that goes around the fuel tank. it rattles like hell off the trailer hitch on the right side haha. i wanna run a single exhaust for clearance and a cleaner look on the under side. whats a good cheapish catback?

i also cant decide wether to scrap the factory trailer hitch or keep it...the rear bumper from JCR offroad i want can be made to have a 2" reciver build into it for light towing and recovery. i dont think ill ever be towing with this rig so it all about how it will look without the hitch? will the stock fuel tank skidplate stick out on the rear? also i feel like it will make the gas tank look like it sits super low
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

i went with hitches front and back (jcrs) so i didnt have to mount my winch (theift for one) .. its kind of nice to be able to put the winch (in a basket) in the front or back depending on where you need it... and it keeps it out of the elements year round (lays in the back of the jeep)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

where in ct are you. if you ever need a hand let me know always down to wrench
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice Jeep, love the green color. I kept my hitch, In my opinion its stronger to pull from it then the bumper plus its like having an extra crossmember to box the rear of the xj..

p.s. thanks for serving............
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Im in Newington, can always use a extra hand especially when doing the lift kit. its going to be a multi day function since i will be doing drum brakes/brakelines/lift/1 ton steering/and possibly the sye too all at once haha. but i need to drive the jeep in the mean time so i might just not do the sye and put the tc i have in and once i get it lifted ill measure the dimensions n send to have the DS made by tom woods so when it comes in then i can do the sye and not have no car.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I'm up in the Plainville area a lot, and for DS screw tom woods, the Axle Exchange is a much better shop plus they are in NJ. (KOH and mustang drag proven parts)

Quick Reply: 99 XJ Build on a E4 Budget