Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build

Just inherited a 98 Limited with all the available options and only 58K miles. Car was originally ours, then was used very little by the in-laws for 9 years. Water getting into the cabin suddenly, persuaded them they did not want to deal with it anymore.

I am active in our local state and county search & rescue unit. So this XJ will be modified to become a purpose built rig for the kind of work we do. I have been using a lifted and very customized 2007 Suburban so far, but it's a bit of an overkill and cannot keep up with other vehicles once on the trails (6300 lbs. with gear).

First order of things was to get it into a shop that specializes in water damage and restoration (Jimmy's in Bellevue, WA). They found three separate leaks that needed to be addressed. One from the bottom windshield seal, which required the glass the be replaced. A second one from the blower air intake foam gasket. The third one was a coolant leak from the heather core. That has been replaced yesterday, after the dash came off.

They have cleaned and repainted with some black stuff the whole floor of the Jeep and will be installing a new carpet and padding front to rear.

Next comes the lift and bumpers, scheduled for next week.

From bumper - A used ARB I got on the cheap locally, with a WARN XD9000 already built in. Just need to clean it up a bit and possibly paint nice.

Lift - I purchased the lift, parts, wheels and tires from 4WD and it will be installed at our local 4 Wheel Shop.
  • Rubicon Express 3.5" Ultra ride, with RE adjustable track bar, RE HD tie rod, RE Steering stabilizer and Bilstein 5100 shocks.
  • ProComp 15x8 black wheels with BFG AT 31x10.5 tires.

Rear Bumper - I ordered the Slimline rear bumper and tire carrier from Mark at Detours. Looked at quite a few, but nothing came as close to what I wanted as his product. Mark manufactures to order, so that will take another 3 weeks to get here.

Roof rack - I have a Cargo Master unit I have been using with the Suburban. It's actually a perfect size for the Jeep, once I purchase the proper attachment brackets. Hi-lift, shovel and some PIAA lights will be fitted to it.

Electrical - battery has been replaced with an Optima Yellow Top and new large gauge cables are on the way from Serious Offroad, to make sure the power flows from the alternator, to ground, etc. I will need to install all kinds of serious lights and VHF radios in this rig, so I might have to upgrade to a second battery (in the back) at some point...

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll be done with phase 1 next week and be able to take this Jeep on the trails for the first time...
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000079.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000097.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Looks like you got a plan. I am excited to see it all finished up. Though instead of going dual batteries, you might find it more beneficial to go to a higher amperage alternator. That's really what's going to give you the power you need for the lights, radios etc...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 PM

For our use, a dual battery works better. The vehicles are often left for hours with radios and lights running, with the engine off.

This XJ came with a larger alternator, which should be plenty for charging both Optimas.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ah well for that use you'd be right. Mine came with the higher amp one as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Dropped the XJ today at the installer. Last time she will look stock...
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000158.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000097.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

When I come home that nice sprinkler setup they have to look for leaks will be my wife standing with a hose with an unhappy look on her face. Lol. That thing is CLEAN!

Last edited by steingass; 04-18-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

Year: 1999

Need to do the extended idle mod to that jeep. This will help at idle to charge your batteries.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM

hope 4wheelparts doesnt screw it up like many other installs of theirs
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM

I checked with people. Found quite a few happy customers and in contact with the regional manager - just in case we have an issue...

Never worked with them before, so I will give them a chance. It's not a complex install or a very high lift. Time will tell...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by lilredxj99
Need to do the extended idle mod to that jeep. This will help at idle to charge your batteries.
Actually, Painless sells an alternator that charges high at idle. Need to check this out... The Jeep will currently rev higher, depending on the load on the engine and electrical. I can turn on the heather when running a lot of accessories...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Stopped by to check on the XJ... Rear lift is done. Front lift in process.

Waiting for a rear shaft for the HnT (front flange).

ARB Bumper not installed. Winch not installed. Wheels not installed. Final adjustments and alignement not done yet...

It's OK, they have a couple of days to complete that. Afterwards, I start getting grumpy...
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000003.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000000.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000002.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000004.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Finally getting somewhere...

Things are progressing quickly now -

RE 3.5" Super Ride Lift installed with all additional parts - adjustable track bar, tie rod, etc.

ProComp 98 soft 15x8 wheels with BFG TA 31x10.5 tires.

ARB Front bumper with Warn XD9000 winch installed inside.

Today we are installing the bored out TB from theXJfiles, new 703 injectors, upgraded battery cables from jeepersandcreepers and resetting the ECU...

Still waiting for Mark to finish making the Detours Slimline rear bumper and send it over...

98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-imag0162.jpg

98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-imag0165.jpg

98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-imag0160.jpg

98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-imag0164.jpg
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by meancherokee
hope 4wheelparts doesnt screw it up like many other installs of theirs
OK - 4 Wheel Parts - At the moment I am very mixed on their performance and service.

The guys working there are nice and fairly knowledgeable, but there is a significant disconnect between the phone sales people in Ohio and the people who manage and run the 4 Wheel Parts shops.

Second, they proceeded with the RE hack'n tap without making sure they had sourced a proper rear shaft. It turned out they did not have any in stock and I had to scramble to get one and pay a lot for shipping across the country. Strike one.

Third, it took them much longer than expected to complete the project. I had to re-schedule things I had planned.

Finally, when I got the car back, I found severe drive line vibrations, even after the SYE install. I mean, it is loud and very noticeable. I have to bring it to them AGAIN to get that fixed, which will cost me more valuable time. Strike two.

I would assume they would test drive the rig and figure out something that obvious, before giving me back the car. They did not do that and that in my view is sloppy and unacceptable.

Would I work with them again? Not likely, unless it is something small and easy and I need it quick...
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Default Quite a few more things done this week...

Installed SYE and new Rubicon rear shaft (33.5").

No happy with the angle at the diff, and some vibrations at speed, when hitting the accelerator.

When letting go or coasting in neutral, it is as smooth as can be...
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000016.jpg  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Added some relocation brackets for the rear shocks. No more broken bolts...
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000007.jpg   98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build-wp_000009.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 XJ Limited - Search & Rescue build