Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 XJ Slow Build

Old 04-11-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l v6
Default 01 XJ Slow Build

Ok so a couple months ago I got my very first Jeep, I was (am) still like a little kid with it. It is a 2001 Sport with 102,000 miles on it, 4.0 engine, NP231 Tcase, and 8.25 rear axle. The previous owner (I knew him) took perfect care of this car it has never been wheeling, and is bone stock. Over the last month or so I have been doing more research on lifts than I knew was possible. That is the first mod I want to make on my XJ, but I am on a college kid budget so it is taking me a while to save up for it, since I want to do it properly. I have been wheeling with it several times now just to get a feel for how it handles, and I know that I want to lift it now. This is what I plan on doing:

-RE 4.5 inch with monotube shocks
- RE track bar drop brackets
- Track bar brace
- SYE and CV drive shaft (don't have a brand yet, any suggestions?)
-33 12.50 BFG M/T's
-Bushwacker flares
I have not decided on a gear ratio I want to go with yet, still doing research on that.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, those were taken the day I got it.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Nice deal buddy. Caution: RE lift usualy nets you at least an inch higher than advertised.

4.10 gears for 33s as a DD. 4.56 for 33s and larger tires/more torque offroad.

I know rockridge4wd has a SYE and cardan shaft combo for around $500, not bad at all. I personally grabbed a front ds out of an automatic 231. It will be fine for my 4.5 zone lift im putting in.

With your RE lift you may need a longer pitman arm if it doesnt come with one. Longer brake lines as well.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by gunmetal_nightrider
Nice deal buddy. Caution: RE lift usualy nets you at least an inch higher than advertised.

4.10 gears for 33s as a DD. 4.56 for 33s and larger tires/more torque offroad.

I know rockridge4wd has a SYE and cardan shaft combo for around $500, not bad at all. I personally grabbed a front ds out of an automatic 231. It will be fine for my 4.5 zone lift im putting in.

With your RE lift you may need a longer pitman arm if it doesnt come with one. Longer brake lines as well.
Thanks man I hope everything goes as planned with the setup. I am planning on the lift netting me around 5.5 at the beginning, then after it settles a bit and I throw a bumper on in the future it drops closer to 4.5 or 5. I just like the reviews I have heard about Rubicon Express's ride quality. I was concerned about a drop pitman arm and people have given me mixed opinions on it, so I think I am going to try it without it first and see if i can keep the steering where it needs to be.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

If I were you and set on staying with 33s and trimmed fenders. I'd go RE 3.5" (usually gives you an inch or so more out of the box, so around 4.5-5"), 33s, and Napier flares (cheaper, stronger, and personally like the looks more). You'll have plenty of space for activities without being too tall.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
If I were you and set on staying with 33s and trimmed fenders. I'd go RE 3.5" (usually gives you an inch or so more out of the box, so around 4.5-5"), 33s, and Napier flares (cheaper, stronger, and personally like the looks more). You'll have plenty of space for activities without being too tall.
I was thinking with all the gear I am going to have with 3.5 I think it will settle to low for what I would like. I am still doing more research, and I started out wanting the 3.5 and stick with 31's till I took it wheeling a few times and I decided I could have more fun with 33's and some extra lift.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

I replied to your post in my build thread and then found yours. haha Your XJ looks clean. Great condition. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I went through the same decision-making process as you in regards to 3.5" on 31s and then switching to 4.5" on 33s after considering armor, gear, and just wanting to do it right the first time. I can see myself going to 35s further down the road now, but that'll probably be after I get a 2nd car and keep my XJ as an adventure toy (and most likely after my new 33s are worn out).

As for an SYE & CV driveshaft combo, check out Adam's Driveshaft & Off Road. I purchased the Teraflex SYE and 1310 driveshaft kit. I haven't installed it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about both companies and their products. Lucky for me, Adam's Driveshaft is based here in town (technically Henderson, but yeah).

I have no firsthand experience with fender flares yet, but I started out wanting the Bushwacker flares like you. I decided to go Napier instead for the reasons that unidentifiedbomb listed above. They supposedly also create more clearance than the Bushwackers.

EDIT: As of right now, I'm planning on going 4.56 eventually. More power with 33s while also being optimal for 35s.

Last edited by lordbyron; 04-17-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Gear ratio info
Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by lordbyron
I replied to your post in my build thread and then found yours. haha Your XJ looks clean. Great condition. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I went through the same decision-making process as you in regards to 3.5" on 31s and then switching to 4.5" on 33s after considering armor, gear, and just wanting to do it right the first time. I can see myself going to 35s further down the road now, but that'll probably be after I get a 2nd car and keep my XJ as an adventure toy (and most likely after my new 33s are worn out).

As for an SYE & CV driveshaft combo, check out Adam's Driveshaft & Off Road. I purchased the Teraflex SYE and 1310 driveshaft kit. I haven't installed it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about both companies and their products. Lucky for me, Adam's Driveshaft is based here in town (technically Henderson, but yeah).

I have no firsthand experience with fender flares yet, but I started out wanting the Bushwacker flares like you. I decided to go Napier instead for the reasons that unidentifiedbomb listed above. They supposedly also create more clearance than the Bushwackers.

EDIT: As of right now, I'm planning on going 4.56 eventually. More power with 33s while also being optimal for 35s.
Thanks man! I am going to be ordering my lift kit in another week or so (college budget problems haha). I cannot wait to see how your lift kit turns out! I am also debating between the gearing ration, I have not decided if i would ever consider 35's cause I think you have to beef up axles and stuff so it would be way down the road for me. I am going to probably change to napier flares once I see how yours turn out, I really like the looks of bushwhacker but i am always willing to change.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:26 AM

Default First Mod on the Jeep

Tonight I finally did my first modification on the Jeep. I removed the rear sway bar. I did not have any problems with it at all, if the bolts for the lift kit come off as easy as these did it should be a breeze. I did a mini flex test on it afterward and it made a difference but not a huge difference. I only had time to take one picture because it was going so well I did not want to stop and jinx a bolt seizing up or something. I finally have my lift kit, and should be getting my shocks and sims tomorrow. Then I will order my rims, drive shaft and SYE and should finally be good to go on the lift! I can't wait to finally get it on there.
Attached Thumbnails 01 XJ Slow Build-img_1216.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 PM

Today I decided to clean out the engine bay a little bit, and test out the flex. I was shocked to see how much more the rear flexes without the sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails 01 XJ Slow Build-img_1218-1.jpg   01 XJ Slow Build-img_1221.jpg   01 XJ Slow Build-img_1222.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM

Nice deal man. Those leaf spring eye bolts are going to be a chore. I used a 2 ft. Breaker bar and mine came out no problem, even with my rusty jeep. Although it did take forever. I used new bolts for the lift.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by gunmetal_nightrider
Nice deal man. Those leaf spring eye bolts are going to be a chore. I used a 2 ft. Breaker bar and mine came out no problem, even with my rusty jeep. Although it did take forever. I used new bolts for the lift.
Thanks for the advice man! I am going to go to auto zone today and pick up a couple cans of pb blaster, so I can start getting everything ready to come out.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM

i just went to autozone and the guy didn't know what kind of grease I should use for my lift. Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

As for the grease, I wouldn't be sure. Just wanted to say that you have one clean XJ...that might be the cleanest one I've seen yet! Good to see you want it done right the first time.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by turver
As for the grease, I wouldn't be sure. Just wanted to say that you have one clean XJ...that might be the cleanest one I've seen yet! Good to see you want it done right the first time.
Thanks bro. The guy I bought it from was the original owner, and he restores cars and makes sure they look perfect all the time, I think I scored buying it.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Im assuming the grease for your lift is for greasable shackles? I used some Sta-lube from harbour freight. Read the specs on the back and it is perfecr for u joints and axle shafts. My zone lift did not specify grease type either but with the zerk fitting on my shackles i was limited to what i had on hand.
http://m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lubrication/14-oz-sta-plex-extreme-pressure-premium-red-grease-40710.html

Last edited by gunmetal_nightrider; 06-01-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 XJ Slow Build