North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Rhode Island lift laws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rhode Island lift laws?

I'm moving up to Rhode Island and trying to figure out exactly what is or isn't legal and what is enforced. Just looking for experiences of anyone who lives in RI.

§ 31-23-13.1 Altering height of or operating a motor vehicle with an altered height prohibited. – No person shall alter the height of or operate a motor vehicle with an altered height that has an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of up to and including ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.), by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than four inches (4") from the original manufacturers' specified height by use of so called "shackle lift kits" for leaf springs or by use of lift kits for coil springs, tires, or any other means or device. The administrator of the division of motor vehicles shall establish rules and regulations for motor vehicle heights including exceptions for vehicles used for farming or forestry. No motor vehicle that has been so altered, modified, or changed beyond the provisions of this section or the rules and regulations established by the administrator of the division of motor vehicles, shall be operated on any highway. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

That's the law, but its not very clear. My shackles don't raise my vehicle more than 2 inches, but my leaf springs, coils and 35 inch tires, put my height over a foot from stock. I can see why you wouldn't want people installing 10 inch shackles on their trucks, but it seems like this applies to all methods of lifting.

While I was up there a week ago, I saw a number of trucks that were higher than 4" from stock, even at the dealerships. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Worse case scenario I can store my jeep for a few years until I can move back to a state with sane laws.

Rant: Can easily buy a handgun but can't carry it concealed without a letter of need? Criminals don't care... No hunting rifles for hunting? More animals suffer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Whatever this is is being sold there, the body is definitely 4" higher off the ground than stock.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Velcro
Whatever this is is being sold there, the body is definitely 4" higher off the ground than stock.
omg that's nasty looking. Lol