North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

NY kayak road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default NY kayak road trip

Hi!

Im looking to start planning a road trip through NY with my xj, kayak, and a tent over the course of a week or so. I would like to get input from locals or people more familiar with the area about where to go and what to do!

I plan on starting in Erie PA in the spring and then heading north towards buffalo and then picking my way east through the finger lakes to the hudson(?) or somewhere about there.

I am an avid fisherman and have a jackson kilroy and would prefer to camp overnight instead of crashing in a motel. We have lots of good river fishing in PA for panfish and walleye and i live right on the susquehanna, so i would prefer to hit lakes for cold water fish, trout or steelhead are foreign to me

I have fished lake placid and north so i will probably stay south of there, albeit the most beautiful area in the world in my eyes.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

For trout, you can't find better fishing than the Delaware Valley and all the rivers and streams that flow into it. For the Delaware itself, night fishing just after dusk is dynamite! The locals are friendly and if you ask, they can direct you to a good place to pitch a tent for the night. My brother and I set up in a community park for 2 days once. Around Binghampton, the 3 rivers that converge there are all known for trout, LARGE trout!

For lake trout, you can find them in the NYC's upstate reservoirs above Kingston, but you'll need a permit to fish them.

My brother and I have fished the Saranac chain and the Fulton chain of lakes in the Adirondacs and, while the fishing was great, the catch was small, as in only once in a while landing a good size fish. Largemouthed bass are common in the upper Saranac. Well, you know because you've been there, right?

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think I have the place just east of syracuse for you. If you are coming across from Buffalo or up from the finger lakes. I am an avid XJer/Kayak fisherman as well. I have a local spot that I spend much of my fishing time at that is a small marina on a feeder to Oneida lake (just North of Syracuse). With room to tent camp (I can help arrange for permission from the owner - a fellow Jeeper). I would gladly come out and fish with you as well.

This is a place I know well, and spend a good deal of time at. Was there yesterday in fact, but didn't catch anything. Mostly largemouth, pickerel, northerns, and perch. But quite a few other randoms pop up from time to time (drum, walleye, gar, dogfish/ling, bullhead, etc.).

I'm going to arrange something there over the summer for area Jeepers. If you know your plans, perhaps I could coordinate your visit with that get-together as well.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yes i will stay in touch! I just got my severance because of forthcoming epa budget cuts but ill be starting my new job soon. As soon as i have a better idea of vacation and such i will be putting a plan together to get across new york!!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up near Saranac Lake and Lake Placid there is an area call the St Regis area. Search it on Google, there are plenty of maps. Tons of miles of Kayaking, lean toos and remote camp sites to stay at.

Also, if you want an area that mostly only locals are familiar with, check out good luck lake, you can park off the highway, and kayak down or up the river, but good luck lake is secluded with a secluded beach and is a great area to see at least once!