Pacific Southwest California & Nevada

sierra nevada camping destinations

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default sierra nevada camping destinations

Hey, I'm looking for some amazing, remote, little known camping destinations that are accessable by 4 wheelers only. Something where you can blow off the guns and not worry about pissing anybody off. Hopefully some place you can fish. I used to camp on the backsode of loon lake, but now that you can't Explore more than 25 feet off the rubicon trail, I am forced to find something else.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Laurel Lakes. Its off 395 just before Mammoth. About a 4 1/2 mile beautiful trek into the back country to a remote lake where you can camp for a night or two. If you do shoot, make sure and leave no trace. Just one of many awesome back country trips that i know of. Make sure to stop at a visitors center and pick up a copy of the back roads guide in the sierras. Paper back, purple cover is for Inyo county and green cover is for Mono county. They both have a picture of an old car on the cover. Have fun.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Yeah I want to go camping in mammoth. But not near any road. When you're driving towards mammoth from bishop, before you pass the airport, there is a large desert area with not much greenery (don't want to destroy a bunch of living greenery) and go off of the road that goes into that area, at least 5 miles off, and find a big open space and set up a camp site just for me so I can enjoy peace and quiet and not have to hear cars drive by. I will need to mod my jeep for it so I have all of the supplies and performance capabilities so I don't get stuck and or anything bad happen, but I think that that is my ideal camping trip right now. I think the place that I would go off the road is about 20-30 minutes away from mammoth. Or maybe on the very top of those trails off of the main road in mammoth that you get to by driving down that road that passes the ranch? Keep in mind I don't know if any of this is legal but I still want to do it!!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Since we are reviving the dead here you go...

Laurel Lakes: Extreamly senic trail leading to moutain lakes, lots of guys fish up there so I don't recoment poping any caps up there. This is a must do trip.

Wheeler Ridge/Toms Place: Miles of awesome trails, some of the best wheeling in the Mammoth area.

Owens River Vally East of 395: Wild West do whatever you want out there including chillin in the lazy river

Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by thebe001
Since we are reviving the dead here you go... Laurel Lakes: Extreamly senic trail leading to moutain lakes, lots of guys fish up there so I don't recoment poping any caps up there. This is a must do trip. Wheeler Ridge/Toms Place: Miles of awesome trails, some of the best wheeling in the Mammoth area. Owens River Vally East of 395: Wild West do whatever you want out there including chillin in the lazy river
you sir, just made my next summer a hundred times better. I was thinking of moving to mammoth for the summer because I have a condo there so this will be amazing!!!!! Thank you sir!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
you sir, just made my next summer a hundred times better. I was thinking of moving to mammoth for the summer because I have a condo there so this will be amazing!!!!! Thank you sir!!!
That's awsome man! If I had the flexibility to live in Mammoth over the summer I would pull the trigger. I spend a lot of time up there year around skiing, DH biking and wheeling. The entire place is a playground. I am actualy heading up ther tomorrow to bike and do some wheelin with a budy for a few days. PM me if you are ever heading up to Mammoth and want do some wheelin or grab a beer.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thebe001
That's awsome man! If I had the flexibility to live in Mammoth over the summer I would pull the trigger. I spend a lot of time up there year around skiing, DH biking and wheeling. The entire place is a playground. I am actualy heading up ther tomorrow to bike and do some wheelin with a budy for a few days. PM me if you are ever heading up to Mammoth and want do some wheelin or grab a beer.
that's what I want to do next summer. I would have just finished high school and get a job in mammoth so yeah. I'd love to do that!!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Party at Liam's place!!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM