Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

Stock XJ front driveshaft in the rear???????

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator
Default Stock XJ front driveshaft in the rear???????

My XJ currently has about 6 inches of lift over stock. I will soon be installing an Advance Adapters SYEin my transfer case. I'm gauging my options for a rear DS and I want to go the cheapest (and easiest to replace if it breaks) route possible. I've heard of a lot of guys using stock front XJ driveshafts in the rear after installing their SYE. I need to know with a 6 inch lift will a stock front XJ driveshaft reach TC to real axle, plus give me the right amount of slip joint for the full range my suspension flexes? I know due to the fact that the rear suspension piviots at the shackle in the rear, I shouldn't need much.

I know that getting the front DS out of a ZJ with automatic tranny would get me a DS that is a little longer but I'd rather go with a regular old stock XJ front DS as they are easy to find in junkyards and I could get away with carrying only one trail spare. Please everybody who looks at this thread give more personal experience and advice. Thanks! Buck
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

I am about the same size lift as you and i am using a stock front shaft. But my sye is a currie so its a flat flange. So i had to get an adapter the from tom woods. And it makes the shaft a little longer. I have been running it about a year and a half with no problems.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Thanks for the help, Red. I wish a few of the other 48 lookiloo web wheelers who looked at this thread would have spoke up and helped a brother out.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

hey brian did you all ready order your sye? If not you should look into the iro hackntap setup! heres a link http://ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=XDT
this the setup up I am running on my xj and I have been really happy with it. I order the kit with the yoke,front refurbished drive line, and the drill and tap and it cost me right around 215 for everything. It got rid of all my vibes and let me get rid of my tc drop and has held up fine with all the abuse I have delt its way!
but back on topic you will be fine with that drive shaft!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brian, just get the front driveshaft out of an automatic xj. that is what i have always run and i was at like 6.5" inch lift at one point. thats all you need. look at Performance Offroad Center.com's SYE kit it is cheaper than anyones and i believe it is an advanced adapters kit thats wut i run. its like $165 for the complete SYE kit
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 IL6

I am one of the 48 lookiloos. I have heard stock front shafts are the way to go for the rear. I think there are a couple variations in length so you may want to measure first just to be safe. I am still rocking a stock rear driveline cause I'm lazy and my vibes aren't very bad at all.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 360 4bbl

I know I'm not from yalls area, but I too have been running the hack n tap for a couple years now and no problems, so I would def x2 that! I honestly don't remember where I got it, but it wasn't hard to do. I had never done anything remotely close to it (hackntap) before and it turned out swell!
I've also heard about the front driveshaft being used for a rear on lifted xjs, I wanted to try it out, but I needed a longer drive shaft for the amount of lift.
I ran with 6.5", tc drop, and the stock drive shaft for a long minute with no problems at all. till I went bigger. then my rear shaft would just pop out whenever I stepped on the gas! lol funny as hell to watch, no so funny to hear anyway, happy trails!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I6

So I can run the front XJ DS with an SYE? Or run it without?

And if I can't run the XJ front DS without the SYE...then can I use a ZJ rear DS and a TC drop til I buy an SYE?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use the front stock DL only when you have a SYE installed.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Engine: 4.0 str. 6

I have also heard that front DS from an auto XJ works when a SYE is installedso

So I got a question....sorry for stalling the tread. But is there anything possible like this with a 242. I haven't been able to find a SYE for one yet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots
Old 04-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I6

Originally Posted by 98CherokeeSport
you can use the front stock DL only when you have a SYE installed.
Ok thanks...with that being said....UNTIL I can get a SYE...can't I just run a 1" TC drop...ooorrrr no TC drop & and a ZJ rear DS? I'm at 3" now...moving up to 4-4.5 in a couple wks(depending on DL options). Thanks for your time.

Brandon
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

WOW!!!! Now that is more like it my Cherokee brothers...LOL!!!!

Good deal. I'm glad the old stock front XJ DS idea will work for me. Like I said, they are all over in the crap yards, farely cheap and I will get away with carrying one stock front XJ DS as a spare for whether I blow a front or rear shaft. although the front DSs are much more stout than the rears. I have already destroyed two OEM rear DSs and I am still on my first front. Just recently had to throw some grease at the Cardan joint as it was starting to squeak at me. Other than that its been perfect through 6 years of misuse and abuse

Yeah Branden, I did get the SYE from PORC and it is in fact an Advance Adapters SYE that they sell. At $165 out the door, nobody beats that price. I looked everywhere...and I know advance makes good stuff. My duel case adapter I got for my Toyota was an advance unit and I beat the heck out of that thing.

Zack I considered doing the hack and tap but at only $20 more the Advance adapters was a better unit with the HD output shaft and lifetime gurantee and all.

Also to take care of my new investment, I ordered the XJ belly skid plate from JCR Off Road. It looks and sounds VERY stout. Made of 1/4" thick steel and is mounted to the crossmember and both framerails at 11 points. I just hope the frame mount points work well with my slider mounts. My sliders are from JCR as well so they should.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

95whiteXJ, I've been running my stock slip yoke and rear shaft with 6" lift for about three years now. All I did to get rid of the vibes was a 1.5" TC drop and degree shims on the rear axle spring mounts. The main reason I am doing the SYE is i want the stronger shaft to run in the rear and I want to remove the TC drop so I can put a bombproof bellyskid and quit having to worry about deMolishing my TC everytime I play in the rocks. My crossmember and TC have taken a few good licks already so I know my luck is about to run out.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Engine: 4.0 IL6

Originally Posted by wanagojeep
I have also heard that front DS from an auto XJ works when a SYE is installedso

So I got a question....sorry for stalling the tread. But is there anything possible like this with a 242. I haven't been able to find a SYE for one yet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots
There is less aftermarket support for the 242 transfer case so the only option is a hack and tap. I think Iron Rock Offroad has a hack and tap kit for the 242. I have been planning on doing one for a while, just had other more important repairs/mods that came up first.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

I have a 242 case and i am pretty sure it was currie. And i believe thats where tom woods use to get some of there parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock XJ front driveshaft in the rear???????