Technical Write-Up/How To Section This section is designed for both Cherokee and Grand Cherokee technical articles.

2D/3D Mag Light Holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Default 2D/3D Mag Light Holder

Zanderman111 is one of the few 3D printers I have seen come across this forum. Recently, he came up with a Mag Light holder that will hold the 2D an 3D models. Instead of the current holders on the market that are a two piece design. The one Zandermann111 puts out is a one piece model that has the ability to put your own lettering on the inside. I got the first one to help test out and find out where to install. After brainstorming for a minute, I decided on mounting on the driver side door horizontally due to the fact that these 2D/3D lights can act not only as a torch, but a self-defense tool should the situation get sticky enough. When the door is closed, the torch is hidden and is easily accessible by the driver. Let's get started:

2D/3D Mag Light Holder-image-2258719166.jpg
  1. Remove the four screws that hold the door panel in. There is one on the door open handle, one on the upper right hand corner that goes directly into the door, and two long ones that are recessed into the door armrest.
  2. Place the holder in the location, with the torch in it to ensure there are no obstructions with the armrest etc etc, where it is to be mounted. Using a sharpie, make a dot in all 4 holes.
    2D/3D Mag Light Holder-image-1585451352.jpg
    2D/3D Mag Light Holder-image-1958224615.jpg
  3. Pulling the door panel slightly, will pop all the holders and allow for the bottom of the door panel to come out about 12". DO NOT REMOVE THE PANEL IN ITS entirety
  4. While holding the panel out, drill the four holes marked previously. There is a wool insulation behind the area I wanted to mount the holder so the drill bit would get hung up.
  5. Put all four screws into the holder and then push the four screws and holder into their respective holes on the panel.
  6. Reaching behind the panel, hand tighten the nuts onto the machine screws now coming through the panel.
  7. Now, using the drill, tighten all four screws. I reached my hand back there and held the nuts while tightening the screws and the nuts and screw would self-tighten. A crescent wrench was not needed in my case. **CAUTION** if you have one of the early models produced, over tightening of the screws will cause the screws to push the outside of the mount outwards. The screws only need to be tight enough to recess themselves into the holder.
  8. Pop the door panel back into place and replace all screws.

2D/3D Mag Light Holder-image-537951925.jpg
Attached Thumbnails 2D/3D Mag Light Holder-image-1096994907.jpg