Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't Start - Neutral Safety Switch clean

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 / 6 EFI
Default Won't Start - Neutral Safety Switch clean

- 1996 Jeep Cherokee - 2wd - 6 cylinder - 4.0

I cleaned my Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) and aligned it with a voltmeter. The car ran fine and that seemed to fix the issue. My car will not start now - meaning I turn the key and NOTHING happens just like it did when the NSS was problematic. However, it seems that if I jiggle the spark wire from the coil to the distributor cap, after a number of tries, it starts and runs fine. It usually starts cold but I typically have the problem after I drive the car and it gets warm.

So, let me ask a focused question cause that will help me narrow things down cause I can not reliably test this on my own.

If there is no spark from the coil or say I disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor cap should the starter engage and attempt to start but just will not turn over?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

it will still turn over if you take it off... it just wont run... dont take it off while someone turning it over though unless you like to be shocked...if it turns over and doesnt start it could be more then likely a fuel or spark problem... if you spray alittle starting fluid in the intake while turning it over and it starts then you have a fuel problem... if it doesnt start then you have a spark problem...fuel issues= bad fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, yatt yatta, no spark= plugs, wires, cap and button, coil, distributor yatta yatta...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
MJ>XJ

if you turn the key and it doesnt even try and start it could be battery, starter solenoid, ignition switch, alternator killin the battery, neutral safety switch, stuff like that...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Follow up question ...

Thanks for answering my questions - both of you. I can rule out the spark issue because the car definitely turns over just fine when it is able to do so.

So, now I am focusing on the starter solenoid.

1. Would the car starter engage at all if the solenoid was going bad? Would it be intermittent, working sometimes and not others, like I am experiencing or would it just simply not work OR would it be rather weak to turn over?

2. Can I by-pass the neutral safety switch if I try to start the car by putting an Insulated screw driver between the two leads of the starter with the key turned to its first position, meaning right before the start position? Ah, and is this ok to do or will I fry something in the process? Again, I have a fuel injected 1996 CHerokee - 4L - 6 car.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Engine: 4.0

the starter selnoid could cause this by only working when it wants try tapping it with a hammer some time it will get stuck if it works then it is probably the starter not sure if you can just buy the selenoid if it is the original starter its probably time to replace it
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

test voltage at the solenoid then work your way back..........
Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
MJ>XJ

The thing your talking about with sticking a screw driver in is the starter solenoid... no it wont fry anything but with the key in the on position jumping it will start the truck if its a bad started solenoid... tapping the starter with a hammer really only helps if the starters gear is shooting out to the fly wheel and sticking... tapping makes the starter gear pull back in... The starter solenoid can work some times and others not... most of the time you have to replace the whole starter... alot of fords you can just replace the solenoid...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by bmp120
2. Can I by-pass the neutral safety switch
You can by-pass the switch by just cutting and looping the 2 black wires going into it together...All the switch does is complete the "ground" circuit for the starter motor..If you connect the black grounds before they go into the switch it by-passes it and the motor is permanently grounded.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Default Problem Solved - won't start - Neutral Safety Switch Clean

I solved the problem. I replaced the starter relay and it starts fine.

For people who might be searching I will re-frame the situation.

1. car would not start or more appropriately it would start intermittently. When it would not start I would turn the key and nothing would happen - no starter engagement, no noises, and it would not start in neutral - just like when the Neutral Safety Switch goes. When it would start it would start with out hesitation or having a slow start. That pretty much ruled out the battery, starter / ignition coil, and the switch that you put the key into ( I don't remember the correct name for this item).

2. The neutral Safety Switch ( NSS ) was working properly. When it would not start I could put it in reverse and the backup lights would come on which I found was a good way to rule out the NSS. Also I recently cleaned and calibrated the switch to solve an unrelated issue.

3. In my original post I wrote that moving the wire from the coil to the distributor cap would tend to make it start. That was just a coincidence.

4. Replacing the starter relay ended up solving my problem. This would be the second one I replaced in 13 years and at equal intervals - 6 - 7 years. Autozone and O'reilly did not have the starter relay listed. I found it at a Nappa store but only after they cross referenced it. I replaced it with a Ford part. Having said this, the price at the Nappa store was $9.90 and the price at the dealship was $10.60. So, it is not like there was a big difference in price.

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL ADDED 4/21/09
One way to see if your relay is working correctly is to put your finger on the top of it to feel if it "clicks" when the key is put into the start position.

Ok, I hope this helps someone else.

... onto the other issues with my Jeep now ...

Last edited by bmp120; 04-22-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Adding a trouble shooting tip
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

right on!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM

i'm having this same exact problem and have been leaning towards the NSS, however, my reverse lights work fine. i'll definitely look into the starter relay. I do have one other question for you though just to help clarify. currently, my jeep will not start in neutral. when i turn the key to engage the starter i get nothing, just as you described. this always happens. when i try to start in park, the jeep usually starts but occasionally i'll get nothing, just as if i was trying to start the truck in neutral. usually if i wait about 10 min and try starting it again, it then works like a charm. were you having this symptom as well?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988

I was having a very similar situation. I would turn the key and nothing would happen. I replaced the coil and the starter solinoid. It didn't help. I thought it was the neutral safety switch and would run through the gears but nothing would happen or it would start fine. It was hit or miss. I eventually spliced a wire into the wire going from the solinoid to the starter and ran a push button switch to under the dash and then wired it directly to the fuse box. I did all of that and then it started fine with the key. I have the back up in case it ever decides not to work. I think the actual issue is in the ignition switch someplace but my cheep fix is cool and was only like 6 bucks.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Push-button in the place of the ignition switch... dangerous and half-assed.

It will engage the starter in any gear. You may say "I always put it in park", but I assure you it will happen at least once.

SJ
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988

Originally Posted by solderjunkie
Push-button in the place of the ignition switch... dangerous and half-assed.

It will engage the starter in any gear. You may say "I always put it in park", but I assure you it will happen at least once.

SJ
Actually, because I did not disconnect any of the other safety features like, having to turn the key to unlock the steering wheel and needing to be in park to get the key out it is actually quite safe. Also it wont start unless I have the key turned on because that sends the signal to the solenoid to send power to the coil. SO while it may turn over when the key is off, it wont start. So while it may be half-assed as you say, it is NOT dangerous.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1988cherokee.blogspot.com
I was having a very similar situation. I would turn the key and nothing would happen. I replaced the coil and the starter solinoid. It didn't help. I thought it was the neutral safety switch and would run through the gears but nothing would happen or it would start fine. It was hit or miss. I eventually spliced a wire into the wire going from the solinoid to the starter and ran a push button switch to under the dash and then wired it directly to the fuse box. I did all of that and then it started fine with the key. I have the back up in case it ever decides not to work. I think the actual issue is in the ignition switch someplace but my cheep fix is cool and was only like 6 bucks.
Thanks for the tip, and although I'll keep this in mind if I can't get this working "correctly", I'd really like to replace whatever is causing the issue. The next time it happens I'm going to see if my reverse lights come on, but under any normal circumstances they work fine (a symptom of a bad NSS is no reverse lights). I might just replace the starter relay anyway, it's about $10 at Pepboys so what the hell, why not. I'm going to wait before taking the neutral starting switch apart. I took a glance at it and on the outside it's pretty clean but I'm sure the inside could still be a mess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't Start - Neutral Safety Switch clean