Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

window motor runs out of power???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles
Default window motor runs out of power???

My rear passenger window is the only thing on my jeep that does not nor has worked since I started fixing the jeep up. I told my Bro in law and he said his dad always just hit the window motor with a hammer to fix them. Well I hit it and it works like a charm......for one or two ups and downs. Window is smooth as silk. No jumping or binding whatsoever. Then as it is smoothly moving it will act just like the power in the motor is running out of juice and the window will stop in any random place. NO binding is apparent. If I wait for a minute or so she works just fine for a time or two then slowly stops. I suspect the brushes in the motor are going out but that window has not been used that much by PO's I wouldn't think. Any fixes that I can do or look at to keep it going properly? I don't think the motor is sold separately but I am not sure. SUGGESTIONS will be appreciated as always. Sandyman
Old 02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Try spraying silicon spray on guides with window down.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I used contact cleaner down the guides first to clean debris, then used a lubricant for guns that has no petroleum in it. Regardless, what stumps me is that when it is working there is no sticking or binding at all. Smooth as silk then just slows and stops in any random spot. I will get some silicone spray and try it but it is a long shot from what can tell. After the hammer, I will try anything. Any other thoughts about the motor and brushes?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 299 Likes on 248 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Try if this makes the window go again after it stopped: with the ignition on, door open and window switch activated (so push it up or down) wiggle the 'wireloom' around, where it goes into the door. Comes back to life?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roler
Try if this makes the window go again after it stopped: with the ignition on, door open and window switch activated (so push it up or down) wiggle the 'wireloom' around, where it goes into the door. Comes back to life?
No luck. It immediately and smoothly came all the way down from closed to the bottom then came back up about an inch and stopped. I held the button up and wiggled the wires on both sides and nothing. Waited about a minute and it came right up, which is what it has been doing since the hammer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I also wanted to say I knew I had power back there before I hit the motor with the hammer.

Last edited by Sandyman; 02-04-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Did you verify the power?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM

Did you verify the power?
Yes
Old 02-04-2016, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

It appears electrical rather then mechanical, given the "all or nothing" character and random, intermittent function.

1) verify you have enough voltage
2) remember you need a good ground for the whole path was well, " the other side of the story" which is equally important
3) can you operate the window from the driver's console without issues?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 PM

It appears electrical rather then mechanical, given the "all or nothing" character and random, intermittent function.

1) verify you have enough voltage
2) remember you need a good ground for the whole path was well, " the other side of the story" which is equally important
3) can you operate the window from the driver's console without issues?
I will check 2. On 3, Window works the same on either side. On number 1, I have a Multimeter but I don't know how to use it very well and am trying to learn. I can search for how to check it but if you want to tell me how, I will do it.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

There are several nice Youtubes on checking voltage and grounds. Rather then me writing it down, its easier you watch those. Of course your window motor unit could be at fault in end, but it is not an overused item on the rear passengers and it's usually the driver's and then front passenger's ones that will play up.

Re 3: I mean, when you use the driver's window switch module (switches for the windows etc in the arm rest) to operate that "faulty" window, does it then work fine, or does it give the same problems?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 AM

I'll find the videos and do it tomorrow morning. Using the driver window switch gives the same symptoms as the faulty window switch. Thanks, I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM

I have used silicone oil liberally on the window rails and the motor still stops working. To clarify, the window will run smoothly and then slow to a stop. If I wait one minute it will work again then stop. If I try to use the window in less than a min it might move the window an inch and stop again. Wait a min and I can get a full up or down and a partial continuation for about half window. So about 1 1/2 movement and it stops in a random spot. Very similar to putting starter fluid in a carb. Runs great for a min then stops. The window moves freely in the door and moves freely when it runs. So no binding or jerking. It's just like the motor has run out of juice and has to cool for a minute to work again. So, I have power and switches works passenger rear window from Driver door or the rear door. Window is not binding to slow motor. I get the same symptom if I start the jeep and do it.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Had this same problem on my Camaro, swapped the motor, and everything worked again. FYI, it gradually got worse and worse. At first it was manageable, but then it began taking longer to work again and moving less when it worked. So I would avoid playing with it as much as possible.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Same thing happened in the wife's old minivan. Not willing to pay $ for a new assembly (cant buy just the motor) I decided to see if I could fix it. What's the worst that can happen? I found that one of the spring loaded brushes was stuck down with dust/grime, not allowing it to contact the commutator. I blew it out with a couple shots of compressed air and cycled it by hand till it was springing back freely. Reassembled everything and it worked great!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Same thing happened in the wife's old minivan. Not willing to pay $ for a new assembly (cant buy just the motor) I decided to see if I could fix it. What's the worst that can happen? I found that one of the spring loaded brushes was stuck down with dust/grime, not allowing it to contact the commutator. I blew it out with a couple shots of compressed air and cycled it by hand till it was springing back freely. Reassembled everything and it worked great!!
I would imagine this is my issue also. Do I need to have the window raised or lowered to remove the whole thing to get the motor out to work on it? The window seems attached to the regulator so not sure how to remove it. Thank you. Guess this is why it started finally working when I put the hammer to it.

Last edited by Sandyman; 02-05-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: window motor runs out of power???