Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window Fell Off the Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Window Fell Off the Track

Just finished a 12 hours shift at work, got home at 8:00 AM and went straight to the DPW dumps to bring a very large TV to recycle. I get home, park in the driveway and when I go to close my windows, all of a sudden I hear a bang. I look over to my passenger side front window and see that it is no longer there. It fell down into the door. Pissed off because I need to wake up at 5 to get back to work for another 12 hour night shift, i decide I'm going to stay up all day and fix my window.

What I found via an internet search is that the plastic piece that holds the window/bracket to the pulley sheared off and was no longer connected to the pulley. Since Jeep doesn't sell the plastic piece separately and they force you to buy a completely new window regulator system for who knows how much money ($125+?), I resorted to the internet. What I found was that one fix was a $40 metal clip that attaches to the bracket, but I didn't want to shell out the $40+ shipping or wait the 3+ days for it to arrive. So what I also found was that people drill into the bracket and attach cotter pins from the pulley, to the bracket. I drilled through the bracket and wrapped the pins around the pulley and now the window is almost good as new! It works and I saved money.

Just wanted to throw this up there as a friendly reminder for everyone to do some research before wasting money! I fixed the window for $.67 worth of cotter pins and 4.5 hours of my time. I could do it in an hour or so next time. First time always takes the longest! Unless it's sex...then the first time is about 15 thrusts and 3 seconds! hahha

Moral of the story is to do your research and go hands on with these XJ's! If I help one person with this thread, my job here is done.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Here's the link, keep it handy, you'll be repairing the drivers side soon enough.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...ulator_Fix.htm
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Everything on mine broke when I tried fixing it. The plastic was so brittle. I just wired my window shut, and the inner door latch no longer works, ha.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Just finished a 12 hours shift at work, got home at 8:00 AM and went straight to the DPW dumps to bring a very large TV to recycle. I get home, park in the driveway and when I go to close my windows, all of a sudden I hear a bang. I look over to my passenger side front window and see that it is no longer there. It fell down into the door. Pissed off because I need to wake up at 5 to get back to work for another 12 hour night shift, i decide I'm going to stay up all day and fix my window.

What I found via an internet search is that the plastic piece that holds the window/bracket to the pulley sheared off and was no longer connected to the pulley. Since Jeep doesn't sell the plastic piece separately and they force you to buy a completely new window regulator system for who knows how much money ($125+?), I resorted to the internet. What I found was that one fix was a $40 metal clip that attaches to the bracket, but I didn't want to shell out the $40+ shipping or wait the 3+ days for it to arrive. So what I also found was that people drill into the bracket and attach cotter pins from the pulley, to the bracket. I drilled through the bracket and wrapped the pins around the pulley and now the window is almost good as new! It works and I saved money.

Just wanted to throw this up there as a friendly reminder for everyone to do some research before wasting money! I fixed the window for $.67 worth of cotter pins and 4.5 hours of my time. I could do it in an hour or so next time. First time always takes the longest! Unless it's sex...then the first time is about 15 thrusts and 3 seconds! hahha

Moral of the story is to do your research and go hands on with these XJ's! If I help one person with this thread, my job here is done.
Good Info.

wish I saw this last week.

For some reason, I thought that the cable actually spun around inside the spiral and lifted the window up.... so I bought the $40.00 piece and installed it ....
Then before putting it all back in the door , I plugged it into the door harness and tested it...

I was pissed to see that fancy $$ piece gets dragged up by the cable.

If the other window breaks, I'll be using some Carter Pens...
Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i hope someone will see this and i have looked all over this page and can not find the answer so i guess this is a good spot to do this at... with that being said where in the hell can i find a rear drivers side regulator at for 01 xj ???
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by shnizzledonk
well i hope someone will see this and i have looked all over this page and can not find the answer so i guess this is a good spot to do this at... with that being said where in the hell can i find a rear drivers side regulator at for 01 xj ???
Not an easy part # to find. OEM # is same as Crown #, OEM is discontinued. Probably cheaper to fix what you have, gotta take it out anyways for a new one.

Crown Automotive 55154961AE

http://www.fourwheelerhb.com/ShowIte...FT%20REAR.aspx