Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Will radiator fit Right Hand Drive XJ?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Will radiator fit Right Hand Drive XJ?

Hi, have a RHD Cherokee in Europe which needs a new rad - plenty of XJs around although mostly all 2.1 (Renault) diesels; if I find a 4.0L for spares it will also be Left Hand Drive. Found a rad online local to me but looking at the picture I can see the oil cooler pipes are on the (US) driver side, whereas on the RHD they're on the (UK) driver side.

Had a quick look tonight to see if this would still fit - hoses/filler cap are in correct place, top oil cooler line looks like it would flip across to the other side but the bottom one looks tight as if it would drank under the crankshaft.

Anyone know if it's possible? My alternative is to get one shipped in from England (high shipping charges)...
Old 06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

sorry if i missed it but what country are you in mate?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Yes, it will fit.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

it will fit if you lenthen the lower cooler pipe and find some way to mount you fan shroud and electric fan as the locating tabs are different
Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 AM

I'm in France, hence am surrounded by LHD cars - forgot about the fan shrouds so it sounds like it would need quite a bit of adaptation so probably just as easy getting one shipped over. Any advice on buying a used one from ebay or should I always stick with new?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know if I would trust buying a used radiator off EBAY. If I were to buy a radiator online, it would have to be new.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 AM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by caseyjay
I'm in France, hence am surrounded by LHD cars - forgot about the fan shrouds so it sounds like it would need quite a bit of adaptation so probably just as easy getting one shipped over. Any advice on buying a used one from ebay or should I always stick with new?
What the issue with the fan shroud? The rad will take it on either side, There are 4 tabs in the bottom of the rad two are for the shroud the other two are for the electric fan if you have AC. Up top the cross piece that goes across the rad will have 4 holes same as below these attach the fan and shroud. You can even remove the clutch fan and put in a second electric (you have to put the 4 nuts back on, they hold the pulley on as well, or remove the studs and replace with bolts then your studs wont interfere with the electric fan) the threaded end of the studs that go into the pulley hub are a finer thread than the end that attaches the clutch fan. With the electric fan there would be no need for the shroud. As for the cooling lines to the tranny, if you have an aux cooler there will be two short sections of rubber flex line, extend these using good high quality transmission line (High pressure line) and you should be all set.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caseyjay
hi im in the uk and i had to replace the rad i got one from ebay it was only 34qiud new think there are a few about 70 now it wont cost much to ship to france best with a new dude these rad are **** at the best of times a second hand one will be as bad as the one you have now
Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DRHouse822
What the issue with the fan shroud? The rad will take it on either side, There are 4 tabs in the bottom of the rad two are for the shroud the other two are for the electric fan if you have AC. Up top the cross piece that goes across the rad will have 4 holes same as below these attach the fan and shroud. You can even remove the clutch fan and put in a second electric (you have to put the 4 nuts back on, they hold the pulley on as well, or remove the studs and replace with bolts then your studs wont interfere with the electric fan) the threaded end of the studs that go into the pulley hub are a finer thread than the end that attaches the clutch fan. With the electric fan there would be no need for the shroud. As for the cooling lines to the tranny, if you have an aux cooler there will be two short sections of rubber flex line, extend these using good high quality transmission line (High pressure line) and you should be all set.
the ac set up on a rhd if diffenrent layout because of the steering box the tabs are not in the same location there about a inch or so out
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

i think i would go new anyway, but if you want the adress of some people in the uk who break xj and zj send me a pm, they ship world wide.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

I'm sorry I didn't realize the tabs a different because of the AC. I'm looking at the new rad I just bought for mine, and I have the option to unscrew the top and bottom cross members, there are 4 pieces of threaded wire that bend to a 90 at the bottom. If you could do this and essentially install a new core reusing your current strips, that would allowing you to keep your current fan and shroud configuration, and then all you would have to do is extend your tranny lines.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DRHouse822
I'm sorry I didn't realize the tabs a different because of the AC. I'm looking at the new rad I just bought for mine, and I have the option to unscrew the top and bottom cross members, there are 4 pieces of threaded wire that bend to a 90 at the bottom. If you could do this and essentially install a new core reusing your current strips, that would allowing you to keep your current fan and shroud configuration, and then all you would have to do is extend your tranny lines.
thats possible but some of the cheaper rads dont come apart plus the likely hood of the old one falling apart is great but might be worth a try