Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where to get additional hardware for window regulator 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Where to get additional hardware for window regulator 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

I finally got around to replacing the window regulator on my driver side of a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 iiter straight six. When I opened the box on the Dorman 741-768 I ordered on Amazon, I noticed right away that the glass mount hardware is missing. Mopar calls it a RETAINER - LIFT PLATE bolt assembly.

Anyone know where I can order this additional hardware? Missing also is the nuts that hold the motor assembly, but I believe I have those.

I know I can hit a junk yard, and will if I have to, but they are far away and would rather just order it if I can find it. As long as it isn't too unreasonable.

In this image, I'm looking for parts 5,6, and 8.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

I just spent half an hour searching my "usual" suspects online and came up with no satisfying leads.

These two places might be scam sites, as they list no physical contact address:
http://www.jeeppartsoverstock.com/p/.../04415943.html
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...ey_model=15916

The Chrysler OEM parts site says it is no longer in stock. Not carried by Omix Ada, Crown, or Dorman means you're probably going to the junk yard.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
I just spent half an hour searching my "usual" suspects online and came up with no satisfying leads.

These two places might be scam sites, as they list no physical contact address:
http://www.jeeppartsoverstock.com/p/.../04415943.html
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...ey_model=15916

The Chrysler OEM parts site says it is no longer in stock. Not carried by Omix Ada, Crown, or Dorman means you're probably going to the junk yard.
I can't believe this hardware isn't available somewhere aftermarket. Sorry for your wasted time sir. I have searched for much longer and still came up dry. I get why the plastic part is used, so there isn't metal on glass for the mount. I'm not done searching yet though. This has to be a common problem. Thanks again for trying.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:24 PM

OK, so I'm faced with getting these from a junk yard OR, put your shade-tree-engineering caps on, is there another fix?

I need to keep the metal from touching the glass, especially keeping the glass from resting its weight on a metal bolt, so how hard can it be? I need a plastic sleeve of sorts to go over the bolt that goes through or under the glass. Maybe even some rubber to cushion the hardware connection.

I am going to scope with a camera the passenger side to see how it is mounted and see if I can come up with a home-made solution. Any thoughts would CERTAINLY be appreciated!!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by HopWorks
When I opened the box on the Dorman 741-768 I ordered on Amazon, I noticed right away that the glass mount hardware is missing.
Contact the vendor they should make it right, if it's put you in a bind ask them to overnight a replacement.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Contact the vendor they should make it right, if it's put you in a bind ask them to overnight a replacement.
Dorman was pretty cool about it. After a few emails and sending them the diagram of the part I need, they said it should have been included and they would put a request for a fix with Amazon for me. Their customer service was pretty good and fast in responding.

But I look at the part and wonder if there isn't something in my garage I can use instead. Here are the pics of what my 'OK' passenger side install has. The white plastic, bolt, and looks like some cushion disc is what I am looking for. I don't have a shot of the nut yet. It's pretty tight spaces in there.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Looks to me like a bolt, a washer with some kind of rubber gasket or silicone gasket attached, and a plastic sheave over the bolt. That can't be too hard to fashion. Ideas?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 PM

A friend suggested looking at skateboard hardware for something like this. That would explain why the images I posted looked familiar. Looking at that.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

Try model railroading material. Specifically styrene sheets. They come in a variety of thicknesses up to 1/8". Thicker stuff you can cut parts out of. Thinner stuff might be able to be rolled into sleeves. http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm

If it's thicker than 1/8" you might consider nylon sheet.

Glad Dorman made things right and that it's actually part of the assembly unit.

Also, by the way: time isn't wasted helping other Jeepers figure things out!