Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what went wrong? *highbeams always on*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default what went wrong? *highbeams always on*

so i just replaced my blinker switch and now when i pull the headlight switch the high beams come on automatically. i can not get them to turn off..

any ideas?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

I could see it happening if you pulled the column apart and the rod that goes to the dimmer switch was put in the wrong place. Need a year to know for sure.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM

shes a 92.

and that does make sense.

the column was kinda a bear to get back together.. didnt know there was a rod in the column.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

It will be on the left side outside the column. It goes with the dimmer transfer part inside the column. Standard GM issue.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rackem
so i just replaced my blinker switch and now when i pull the headlight switch the high beams come on automatically. i can not get them to turn off..

any ideas?
I had a similar problem with my Canadian 90' with daytime running lights. The module failed. I disconnected the module and problem solved.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
I could see it happening if you pulled the column apart and the rod that goes to the dimmer switch was put in the wrong place. Need a year to know for sure.

Found this thread after searching for a bit...I am trying to resurrect my beloved 1990 XJ Limited...poor thing has been thru hell and back...long story short, my father in law broke the turn signal switch and the wiper stalk....I went to replace it with another I pulled from Pick N Pull (got the whole column during 1/2 price sale) and I have it 90% back together now...only problem I am having is the rod connecting to the turn signal stalk...does anyone have a good diagram of how it's supposed to hook in? I made sure the rod itself that runs down the column is in the switch, my problem is where the little black piece hooks to the rod and turn stalk. I tried to take really detailed pictures of the tear down as I have never messed with the steering column in one of these before...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by sporta

Found this thread after searching for a bit...I am trying to resurrect my beloved 1990 XJ Limited...poor thing has been thru hell and back...long story short, my father in law broke the turn signal switch and the wiper stalk....I went to replace it with another I pulled from Pick N Pull (got the whole column during 1/2 price sale) and I have it 90% back together now...only problem I am having is the rod connecting to the turn signal stalk...does anyone have a good diagram of how it's supposed to hook in? I made sure the rod itself that runs down the column is in the switch, my problem is where the little black piece hooks to the rod and turn stalk. I tried to take really detailed pictures of the tear down as I have never messed with the steering column in one of these before...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve
Got it fixed...the curve of the piece rests against the rod...kinda tricky to get in but I got it.