Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what thread for bolts on top of bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default what thread for bolts on top of bellhousing

ok so while i was under the jeep today deciding how hard it would be to pull the transmission(i cracked a tab on the side when putting the oil pan on cause someone at one point replaced a bolt with a longer one and i failed to notice this) any i knew there was bolts up top but didnt know where so i did my best to reach my hand up and have a feel around and to my surprise i found a bolt alright the only problem was it has tangled in the wire harness up top instead of in its hole.....now this motor had been replaced at one point and after owning it a few months it became apparent that the hack that put it in didnt do a very good job, twist and taped damn near every wire which cause numorous problems(since fixed the right way soldered and heat shrinked) left out 2 bolts on the exhaust manifold (yet to fix cause it never caused much problems or worry) and way back when i put a bolt through(drivers side bellhousing ) and a nylock-nut on the other end cause i discovered while doing an oil change there was a gap between the block and the bellhousing

so i was wondering if anyone knew what thread/size the bolts are up top as i figure i should probly put some in

BTW i just used permatex coldweld on the crack(inside and out) i know its cheap and ghetto but at the moment i dont got a steady income so gotta spend wisely and i got other things that need the money more

anyway if someone could help me out with those sizes it would be much appreciated and sorry for the bit of a rant im just a little pissed that the job wasnt done right the first time
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

The two top bolts that hole the trany to the motor are an E12 socket kinda a reverse torx end. You can find them at sears I know for sure and probably a tool shop.

Edit: Sorry misread but can't help with the tread size at all sorry about that.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
The two top bolts that hole the trany to the motor are an E12 socket kinda a reverse torx end. You can find them at sears I know for sure and probably a tool shop.

Edit: Sorry misread but can't help with the tread size at all sorry about that.
If the engine has been replaced, they may not be the torx head anymore. When we swapped out the engine in my Jeep we replaced those with regular hex heads. Made reinstalling them much easier, because we could tighten them down with a gear wrench.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

5-90 answers your question in post #8in this thread. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ht=trans+bolts
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by ol"blue
5-90 answers your question in post #8in this thread. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ht=trans+bolts
thanks thats what i was looking for and yea the Etorx are long gone it was just a regular hex that i found up there