Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is this part please? Fan Clutch bolts onto it

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What is this part please? Fan Clutch bolts onto it

New humble member to your community. Purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee recently for my son and I to use as a weekend guy vehicle and take camping. I am picking up the Jeep this coming weekend and a family friend is working on some minor issues so it'll make the 4 hour journey home.

He noticed the bearings for the fan clutch were shot, and in trying to take the rusted part off he broke the housing that the fan clutch bolts onto. It goes with the AC Bracket. I purchased a Haynes book but mailed it to him.

Do you know the name of this while unit so I can inquire around to see who may have? I am heading to the local auto parts store now, but the one near him said it was discontinued. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Macho4x4

New humble member to your community. Purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee recently for my son and I to use as a weekend guy vehicle and take camping. I am picking up the Jeep this coming weekend and a family friend is working on some minor issues so it'll make the 4 hour journey home.

He noticed the bearings for the fan clutch were shot, and in trying to take the rusted part off he broke the housing that the fan clutch bolts onto. It goes with the AC Bracket. I purchased a Haynes book but mailed it to him.

Do you know the name of this while unit so I can inquire around to see who may have? I am heading to the local auto parts store now, but the one near him said it was discontinued. Any insight is appreciated.
That's called an AC Compressor Support Bracket. The OEM part number is 53011002. Same part number for 1996 thru 2001 LH drive XJ only.

Ebay has them occasionally and so do junk yards.

The dealer used to sell them but they may not be available now.

I bought one off of Ebay several years ago for $30.00. They are getting scarce and the prices may be hgher now - if you can find one. The bearing in the support bracket goes bad so watch out when buying a junk yard bracket.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Default thank you kindly....

Thank you for the clarity. I found 1 online and a few on Jeeps being parted out. Can the bearing be replaced or is an entire new unit needed?
Cheers.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Default Shaft & Bearing replacement question.....

I found a guy online who pressed the shaft out of the Compressor Bracket to see if the bearing and shaft can be replaced. He said he was able to find the entire component through a company called Motion Industries, part# 885586 NSK Brand.

I called the company and asked for a quote, not bad. About $30 plus dollars. But the rep called back and said his specs department didn't recommend for automobile use.

Given it is for the AC, what could be the potential issue in using?

I am replacing the whole unit as I found two locally, but for future use I was curious WHY simply replacing the Shaft and Bearing isn't an option?
-See link below.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1073406

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

I found a guy online who pressed the shaft out of the Compressor Bracket to see if the bearing and shaft can be replaced. He said he was able to find the entire component through a company called Motion Industries, part# 885586 NSK Brand.

I called the company and asked for a quote, not bad. About $30 plus dollars. But the rep called back and said his specs department didn't recommend for automobile use.

Given it is for the AC, what could be the potential issue in using?

I am replacing the whole unit as I found two locally, but for future use I was curious WHY simply replacing the Shaft and Bearing isn't an option?
-See link below.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1073406
The bearing needed is NSK 665325, not that other number.

I searched for these bearings for a long time and finally found a vendor that sells them. Bought one. Haven't finished the bearing change project (that I started a year ago) but I'm in no hurry. Just happy that I have a bearing if I need it.

Don't bother asking who the vendor is....... If I told you I'd have to kill you.

Name:  tumblr_m1pw61s4DD1qgtrwio1_r1_500.gif
Views: 877
Size:  982.0 KB
Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Just the bearing or the full component?

I will look into that part today as a future back up. Did you get just the bearing or the shaft as well?

You Veteran Jeep folks are awesome, I can see this will be a fun project for the lil guy and I over the years. Thanks for all the info.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

I will look into that part today as a future back up. Did you get just the bearing or the shaft as well?

You Veteran Jeep folks are awesome, I can see this will be a fun project for the lil guy and I over the years. Thanks for all the info.
It's a one piece bearing - shaft and bearing. They cannot be seperated unless the bearing assembly is destroyed.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Pic of the bearing.

New bearing next to its box.

Name:  DSCF2665.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  405.0 KB
Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

If you think you really want a new bearing contact Kieth at locatebearings.com. Phone # 1-800-409-3632. They're out of Middleburg, OH.

Kieth says they have over 40 of them.