Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water Pump Pulley Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Water Pump Pulley Woes...

I'm replacing the water pump, theromostat, cooling sensor, fan clutch, radiator and hoses, and installing an auxiliary transmission cooler. It was really hard to get the nuts off the fan clutch, even with belt tension, but was finally able to get them loose. The water pump pulley, however, is a different story. I was finally able to get one loose, but the others simply will not budge. The belt starts to rotate even with full tension and with me holding the belt and pulling like crazy to try and keep it from moving (also sprayed some anti-squeak stuff on the belt and still no luck).

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I got everything else out no problem, including the radiator. I figure, if I can't get the old pulley off, I'll just buy a new one and replace it too. That'd still be cheaper than bringing it to a mechanic to replace just the water pump, after I replaced all that other stuff.

Also, I was considering putting the thing in a bench clamp to hold it while I remove the nuts. I hesitate to do that because I fear it may damage the pulley. Anyone tried anything like that? or am I the only one who can't get those darn nuts off?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

I have had to use a pry bar and hold it while breaking them loose,it is easier to have someone help,be careful not to bend it. The other option is an impact if you have one.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

That's definitely worth a try before I run out and buy a new one. Don't have any air tools, that would be nice. Hope to get a good air compressor and tank some day, but that's a ways off.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Actually just read about some folks trying to get crankshaft pulley bolts off and they recommended a strap wrench to hold the pulley, if you don't have an impact wrench. I may try that before the pry bar, the replacement pulleys look more expensive than I thought.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by wgyouree
Actually just read about some folks trying to get crankshaft pulley bolts off and they recommended a strap wrench to hold the pulley, if you don't have an impact wrench. I may try that before the pry bar, the replacement pulleys look more expensive than I thought.
do you have a junkyard close by,pulleys are easy to come by. Air tools are great if you plan on doing much repair work.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM

There is one close by but no late model Cherokees (I've got a 99 I6). Although, the pulley is probably the same on earlier models and they do have some 92+ Cherokees. However, I may run into the same problem with the bolts. I could also just rent the air tools. I've got a home depot about 1 mile from my house. I'd like to buy some but I spent all my available funds on the parts and sealants and such. Also installed a Rusty's tie rod conversion which nipped my DW problem good. Gotta wait a little while to buy anything else and I'm selling my other car on Monday, so this thing needs to be ready to be my DD by then.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM

There are two holes on the pump itself right? Find a spanner to fit to keep the pulley from moving if you can
Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Quick question-
what brand water pump are you putting in? AC Delco?

Seems like some strange price differences in this item. I dont want to put in junk.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Heres a thought do you have an elec drill with a socket attachment?