Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Water Proofing

My son thinks OUR XJ is a submarine! I think it has caused us an alternator already.

I have built some inner fender extensions and front flaps under the fans out of heavy belting, trying to keep some water and mud out of the vitals.

Any suggestions on how to further protect from water?

I have seen water lines up to mid motor, easily over the top of the starter and alternator.

Also, as anyone ever laid a bead of silicone around the distributor cap to try to keep water out?

I'm afraid to get a snorkel, he may drown!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

Is the belting the kind that was used for old tractors to power sawmills and pumps and stuff? If so how hard is it to form, I have plenty of it in my backyard I want to use.

As far as waterproofing there is a type of grease for electrical connections but I forget what it is called. The easiest solution would be to get your son to buy his own XJ.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Don't use silicon use grease. It's waterproof, and unlike silicon, it can be taken apart easily when it's time for service.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 4xPhil
My son thinks OUR XJ is a submarine! I think it has caused us an alternator already.

I have built some inner fender extensions and front flaps under the fans out of heavy belting, trying to keep some water and mud out of the vitals.

Any suggestions on how to further protect from water?

I have seen water lines up to mid motor, easily over the top of the starter and alternator.

Also, as anyone ever laid a bead of silicone around the distributor cap to try to keep water out?

I'm afraid to get a snorkel, he may drown!
I sealed up my dist. cap with silicone (tj) and it worked very well. I was always having issues with it running rough after water crossings and it all stopped once i sealed it. It's just a bi#$# to get it off.

I would suggest a front OEM skid plate. It'll push the water away from the fan which is usually what kicks up water/mud.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 AM

The belting is a black rubberized fabric that is really strong. You can drill it and install with large flanged rivets. I will bend and flex a little, but it is strong enough to hold its shape.

Thanks for the grease idea on the cap Ol' Blue.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

the electrical grease is dielectric grease dont use it, it aids in electrical conduction and will most likely short something out use regular grease
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM

Year: 1988

ive heard of the grease trick also, i have also heard of spraying everything down with wd-40 which stands for water displacement but havent tried it
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by bigbadcherokee
ive heard of the grease trick also, i have also heard of spraying everything down with wd-40 which stands for water displacement but havent tried it
I had a list one time of all the things WD-40 was good for. It was a heft 2 - 3 page list. That stuff is amazing and will do just about anything.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by LongHornCherokeeMan
the electrical grease is dielectric grease dont use it, it aids in electrical conduction and will most likely short something out use regular grease

Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. It serves to seal and waterproof.

You are thinking of the grey aluminum contact paste known as "Ox-Guard" or similar products.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

mhm. I have dielectric grease on all my plugs and wires, raised breathers, sealed the dist cap with silicone (and raised the breather on it), and have my intake running through the cowl. I've been up to the hood plenty of times without an issue.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. It serves to seal and waterproof.

You are thinking of the grey aluminum contact paste known as "Ox-Guard" or similar products.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
X2
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

you guys are missing one of the most important parts, the intake, either make a snorkle or build a shield the intake from the big puddles thats how i hydro locked mine
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by LongHornCherokeeMan
Incorrect..

Dielectric

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A dielectric is a nonconducting substance, i.e. an insulator. The term was coined by William Whewell in response to a request from Michael Faraday.[1] Although "dielectric" and "insulator" are generally considered synonymous, the term "dielectric" is more often used to describe the insulating material between the metallic plates of a capacitor, while "insulator" is more often used when the material is being used to prevent a current flow across it.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by CrazyTJ01
Incorrect..

Dielectric

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A dielectric is a nonconducting substance, i.e. an insulator. The term was coined by William Whewell in response to a request from Michael Faraday.[1] Although "dielectric" and "insulator" are generally considered synonymous, the term "dielectric" is more often used to describe the insulating material between the metallic plates of a capacitor, while "insulator" is more often used when the material is being used to prevent a current flow across it.
it should be used on all connections
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Where do you find a front skid plate? Junkyard? Dealer? If so what's a good price for it?

Quick Reply: Water Proofing