Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water leak in HVAC box

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Water leak in HVAC box

Well I've searched and can't come to a definite answer. My 99 XJ has a water leak that I noticed when replacing the blower motor resistor. A little water came out of the resistor location and I noticed a small line of water below the blower motor but that seal didn't feel soaked, just a little damp. However I have a leak getting into the HVAC box somewhere and just curious to what others have done to fix this the right way? It seems to be a common problem.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Seeing you are in Minnesota and it's November, jumping to AC might not be the first idea. Nonetheless water leaking on the right is often the drain for the AC plugged up. There is a tray in there with a tube that comes out the firewall in the neighborhood of the trans dipstick. If you find that and give it a careful shot of compressed air that might be that.

If you add "cowling leak" in your search you will find plenty. I use this "advanced search" > https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en(include Cherokeeforum.com) in "with these words" if you want to look just here.

In my case on my old 90 it turned out to be the body putty where the right fender meets the firewall. I regret having butchered my cowling before I figured that out. Lesson I learned, if using a hose running to find the leak, give it a good while to see if that's the spot. (I had checked that seam, but turns out it took more than a couple of minutes to start dripping.)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Seeing you are in Minnesota and it's November, jumping to AC might not be the first idea. Nonetheless water leaking on the right is often the drain for the AC plugged up. There is a tray in there with a tube that comes out the firewall in the neighborhood of the trans dipstick. If you find that and give it a careful shot of compressed air that might be that.

If you add "cowling leak" in your search you will find plenty. I use this "advanced search" > https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en(include Cherokeeforum.com) in "with these words" if you want to look just here.

In my case on my old 90 it turned out to be the body putty where the right fender meets the firewall. I regret having butchered my cowling before I figured that out. Lesson I learned, if using a hose running to find the leak, give it a good while to see if that's the spot. (I had checked that seam, but turns out it took more than a couple of minutes to start dripping.)
Thanks for the advice! I should've said I did give it some compressed air after work today, I'll have to see if that works. I'll check the body putty, and maybe put some RTV on it to try to eliminate that as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Do note that RTV, (silicone), might be nearly indestructible for decades, but might not stick, "adhere" so well. Great sandwiched under window trim, or for a gasket. Acrylic latex is water based and might adhere better, but needs to have dry for a while to cure...just a thought
Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

.... And?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

.... And?
Seems to have worked! Between filling the passenger side seam in the engine bay and cleaning the evaporator vent. Sorry, I'm not on here too often anymore!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
Seems to have worked! Between filling the passenger side seam in the engine bay and cleaning the evaporator vent. Sorry, I'm not on here too often anymore!

i started here 3 months ago replacing rotted floors and fightoing leaks not easy to fix. check my threads. i got help from others. you need to check the pass carpet after a rainy day or run a hose onn the windshield.

i assure you it is not ez to get 100 % and wet carpets will rot your floor over time as you dont notice it till too late!!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

I lied.. the problem is still here. Had a heavy rain last night and I came out this morning to a rugged ridge floor mat full of water. I can see water droplets from the blower motor resistor.. I'm thinking it's probably the damn cowl leaking.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

find my posts and others, its not ez to get 100%.
lift your pass mat to see rust, i could see thru!!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
find my posts and others, its not ez to get 100%.
lift your pass mat to see rust, i could see thru!!
My floors are solid and I have rugged ridge floor mats so it's filling up the mat.. it's almost got to be the baffle under the cowl leaking
Old 01-24-2017, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not positive, but I think lots of things might leak at the same place. Whats the harm in setting garden hose really low, and having it run around the blower seal for a good while? Easy enough to do free, and maybe could be "elucidating" .
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

I'm not positive, but I think lots of things might leak at the same place. Whats the harm in setting garden hose really low, and having it run around the blower seal for a good while? Easy enough to do free, and maybe could be "elucidating" .
I have tried putting the hose on the blower motor and got nothing, but thank won't leak into the hvac box and out of the blower resistor..
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM
Banned

you can go back 2 months and find my posts and flintstones who was a great help. lot of pix and info.
did i say its not ez???
Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

you can go back 2 months and find my posts and flintstones who was a great help. lot of pix and info.
did i say its not ez???
you are on water leak threads like flies on ****. LOL.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

did i say its not ez???
I just don't feel like looking through months of posts