Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water from exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Water from exhaust??

I have a 1997 Cherokee. I am noticing a fair amount of water coming from the exhaust while idling. It comes mainly from the muffler tip at the rear and every so often out of the weep hole in the CAT. I know it is normal for water to come out of the exhaust but this seems a little more than normal. Its the 4.0 liter, with around 117,000. I bought the truck brand new so I know everything that has been done to it, and let me tell you it hasn't been much. I have not changed any sensors, CAT, or muffler. I do my own maintance. Change filters, oil, plugs, wires ect. I have noticed a change in fuel economy but she is 12 years old. I can't expect to much I guess.

This is my secondary vehicle but I would like her running well. The only problem is. I have seen the price for some of these sensors. (ARE YOU KIDDIN ME) I drive her to work two to three times a week at around 25 miles round trip. It will be hard to justify the prices of a CAT, O2 sensor, exhaust gas sensor, ect. It would take awhile to recoup the cost in gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Year: 2000

how is your water level in your radiator, is there any excessive pressure in your radiator, if that is good, how long did jeep sit for without running could it be condensation or did you drive though any deep puddles, if you have not drove though deep puddles or jeep didn't sit for a long time you might be considering a head gasket, also it is never normal for water to come out of exhaust for any period of time unless its a very little from condensation

Last edited by Rickgmi; 11-02-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: forgot to aded
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rickgmi
how is your water level in your radiator, is there any excessive pressure in your radiator, if that is good, how long did jeep sit for without running could it be condensation or did you drive though any deep puddles, if you have not drove though deep puddles or jeep didn't sit for a long time you might be considering a head gasket, also it is never normal for water to come out of exhaust for any period of time unless its a very little from condensation
Thanks for the reply Rick. I tought about the coolent first and have crawled all over the truck and have been watching the level. Everything is OK. There is no strange smell, coolent or anything else. The water is always from a cold start/condensation. After a while it will stop. The engine runs fine always at the correct temperature. It never smokes. And the exhaust doesn't seem to be restricted.

Thanks again
Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rickgmi
Damn internet ate my first answer.

Actually water is a bypoduct of the combustion of hydrocarbon based fuels.
It could be the fuel your running. Does it contain Ethenal? Or it maybe the fuel manufacturer is leaving too much water in the makeup of the fuel. It's usually taken out in the processing (Called Cracking).
Try changing dealers for a few tanks and see if it goes away.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Most cars will emit some water from the tail pipe, and it's normal. As was stated, keep an eye on your coolant level, but I would suspect that it is just fine. Here in CO all fuel is 10% ethanol, so we have no choice, but if you do, try to find pure gas, and it should at least decrease the amount of H2o you are seeing. HTH!!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0

Here in Arizona we have ethanol in the fuel too and real low humidity. If you don't think mosture comes out the tail pipe stand behind my sm400 when I rev it up. you'll look like you been hit with a bad can of black spray paint.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Weep hole in the cat? There should be NO holes in the cat at all. Any hole in the cat is an exhaust leak!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I believe we are spot on. We do run 10% ethanol here in north georgia. I always warm my engine up in the morning, so it is more than likely just condesation in the pipe and everything is running correctly. I was just curious because I have never changed anything on my truck and she still runs great. If it ain't broke..

Thanks again everyone.