Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

unhooking factory alarm? (92 laredo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry unhooking factory alarm? (92 laredo)

I want to unhook the factory alarm on our 92 cherokee. How would I do this?! It's soooo annoying since it's the kind that kills the engine so you can't start it and there is no way of turning it off, you have to just wait the 2 minutes or however long for it to go off on it's own. The first time I went to get into it on my own this is what happened...

I go up to my big girl, put the key in the door lock, turn to the left just from habit of my past cars, nothing happens so I turn to the right, it unlocks, I open the door and HONK HONK HONK HONK...OMG the LOUDNESS!!!! Shut it off shut it off, wtf, shut it off (mind you I'm yelling this to myself, LOL) and I just could not figure out how to turn it off. Key in the ignition did nothing, flipping all the lock switches did nothing, manually hitting the locks did nothing. It was so embarassing. Neighbors thought I was trying to steal my own truck. It finally shuts off and I THEN remember that when you exit the truck you hit the power locks THEN manually hit the driver side lock, get out, close the door. When you want back in, turn key to the RIGHT and you are good to go. SO f'ing annoying. I never had an alarm before and HATE this one.

I rather put on an after market alarm with the key ring beeper thing, but want this one shut off/taken out/destroyed/melted/incinerated!

Help! Thanks

Last edited by Kristel; 06-25-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

I don't know if the circuit is completed through the module or not... mine just kinda quit working and acts as if it is not even there anymore
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

My '92 Laredo apparently doesn't have one.

Based on your experiences, I'm glad.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
My '92 Laredo apparently doesn't have one.

Based on your experiences, I'm glad.
Yeah, be glad cause it SUCKS to have to remember yet one more thing in my life on how to lock/open my own car door.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

take a picture with the front piece of the dash off on the driver side and i can easly help you takes like 20minutes to uninstall

there should be some aftermarket looking wires taped on to some wires directly under your steering colum
they should be hooked to these OEM color wires on the jeep

red should be 12volts should be one spliced there

yellow/green stripe is your starter wire it should be cut and a wire hooked to either end disconnect both ends and use a buttconnector to put the wire back together

blue wire should be ignition this one might or might not have one if it does have a wire spliced unplug that also

purple wire should be accessory this one might or might not have one if it does have a wire spliced unplug that also

all of these wires so far should be off your ignition harness under driver dash

next set of wires are going to be in your driver kick pannel remove the plastic pannel should be again noticable aftermarket wires pluged into factory wires

orange/purple stripe this is your lock wire it might have a wire spliced unplug the wire or it might be cut like the starter wire was in this case disconnect both ends and put the wire back together with a buttconnector

pink/purple stripe this is your unlock wire it might have a wire spliced unplug the wire or it might be cut like the starter wire was in this case disconnect both ends and put the wire back together with a buttconnector

blue/red stripe this is your parking light wire this should just be spliced in just unplug if your lights do not flash when you arm and disarm your factory alarm then this wire will not be spliced

yellow this will be at your underdash light where ever thats located under your dash this should have a wire spliced in its so that when your door is opened your alarm gose off

black wire comming off the alarm brain(black box) and screwed in for a ground can be cut or unscred
all these wires spliced should go to a black box probably ziptied or screwed in under your driver dash if you have a red or blue LED for the alarm it will also go to this box it also might have a 3to4 wire harness coming off of it to another small black or clear box(a shock senceor) might have a 2wire harness comming off to a small push button all this can be taken out

any other questions just ask

Last edited by thesundancekid; 06-25-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

there is a wire you have to ground out to over ride it. I forget where but if memory serves drivers side kick panel and I think a green wire??Don't quote me but I found info searching google.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

its a green/orange stripe in driver kick pannel but it only sometimes needs to be grounded when installing an aftermarket alarm ive been installing alarms for over 3years and never had to use the factory disarm wire but for some crazy reason you need to its a -
also if your removing the factory alarm why would you need to ground out the "factory disarm wire" if the alarms not there