Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

View kcjeepman's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Red face U-Joint Tight after install

I replaced the rear ujoints on the drive shaft (both ends) on my '90 Cherokee with Dana 35.

The end towards the trans seems tight. When I installed the caps to get flush with the clips for install, They really seemed tight, so I knocked the cap towards the outside as much as seemed reasonable untill it was right up against the clips. In comparison - the ujoint on the other end toward the pinion flange seems to have good movement.

The bearings are seated properly ( I checked) and it doesn't bind - just kinda tight in comparison. Is this normal?

One additional question - on the pinion end, the ujoint is attached to the pinion flange with straps on either side on the caps - no groves for clips. Does the tension of the straps hold the caps securely on the ujoint? I also have spacers that go between the strap and the cap - I assume these are standard and not some wierd add-on to make the old ones fit right.

Am I on the right track here?? Thanks!
kcjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
CF Veteran

View 98 JeepJeep's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

my ujoints were all flush with the clips....i think you will be fine anyway. The caps looks scary.....but they work.

98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 164K 7120 Head,63MM TB,00 XJ Intake Manifold,Header,19lb Explorer Injectors,RC 6.5 LA,35'S.
98 JeepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #3

View jd4x426's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

as long as the clips are seated in there respective spots you will be ok make sure to grease the ujoits if they arent already before install and also be carefull when installing not to bend the yoke ears
Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #4

View Mike1998XJ's Photo Album My Photos
1998, 1999 Cherokee

You ought to take a picture of those spacers... I have never heard of spacers in between the cap and clamp. Those half round clamps should be right up against your cap. Am I understanding what you are saying? A picture would really help.
Mike
Mike1998XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View caged's Photo Album My Photos
1990, 1999, 2000 Cherokee

yeah, it happens.
i always take a punch and hammer and give the ears a whack when everything is all back together. this spreads them out enough to make it smooth.
caged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #6

View McCaffrey's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add what I found yesterday in case it helps somebody that uses the search, and don't think a new thread is worth it.

I had 1 that was tight and tried the above hammer-ear method with no help. Both C clips installed and even though it was difficult to move it still felt smooth so I didn't think a bearing fell off and was in the end of the cap. I decided to check anyway. As soon as I removed the clips it became free. When holding the clips one was noticeably thicker. I tossed it and replaced with a spare. All was good.

Last edited by McCaffrey; 04-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.
McCaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 PM

submit to reddit