Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View xjrev10's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Default U-haul car trailer

Anyone know for a fact if (or not) the tire straps on a u-haul rental trailer will fit a 31 10.50? I just wanna know if i gotta run to the JY and get some stock tires and wheels for the front of my heep to haul it a 1k miles.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

View crashzx6r's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

thats the largest they fit. we towed my buddies 4runner on 35s but we had 2 lbs of air in them to get the straps over...and they fell off periodically...so yea 31x10.50 will fit i do know that as long as all uhals are same...
my jeep is dumb. yours is better you have 28's and a roof rack. it has a better cog i agree you could go way further than me....and if not you can call someone in to help with your cool cb and listen to your subs rattle your jeep while you wait.
crashzx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
CF Veteran

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashzx6r View Post
thats the largest they fit. we towed my buddies 4runner on 35s but we had 2 lbs of air in them to get the straps over...and they fell off periodically...so yea 31x10.50 will fit i do know that as long as all uhals are same...
sweet thanks buddy. ill test fit before i go pick out some tires and wheels from the JY. that is a dangerous place with plastic in your pocket

Specially in WYO. NO RUST!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View Firestorm500's Photo Album My Photos
1987, 1992, 2006 Cherokee

When I rented a U-Haul car hauler, they told me the maximum tire size was 31 X 10.50 for an SUV. They had specifically asked me what size the tires were on my newly purchased '92 Laredo before I went to get it.
Firestorm500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #5

View zjrog's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

I don't remember them asking either time I rented one. They did ask what sort of truck though. Both times the trailers handled 31s, but be careful with trackwidth. My Ranger has very little backspacing on 15x10 wheels (maybe 2"...). JUST barely fit in the wheel trays. And the UHaul tow dolly wasn't much better. USE THE SAFETY TIE DOWN CHAINS!!!! I had a wheel strap slip off and somehow ounced UNDER the tire it had been on...

If its not a Mastiff, its just a dog...
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

View thelaststarfighter13's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default It'll workout!

You can even get a bigger tire then that if you air'em down then make sure they are flat and on straight then air back up.

I've used a uhaul hauler alot, its just a ratchet strap with a couple of extra straps on the side to make a pocket to go over the top of the tire. Your good!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thelaststarfighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
CF Veteran

1998 Cherokee

yea i have used them before but i hauled a '91 yj with a half ton pickup. love how nice the trailer towed. one thing im not liking about the u-haul rental is the one-way rental price of $600 from wyo to mn.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Seasoned Member

View solderjunkie's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrev10 View Post
yea i have used them before but i hauled a '91 yj with a half ton pickup. love how nice the trailer towed. one thing im not liking about the u-haul rental is the one-way rental price of $600 from wyo to mn.
For $600... I would shop for a used trailer. If you can get one for less than a grand, I would do it.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
CF Veteran

View whowey's Photo Album My Photos
90 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by solderjunkie View Post
For $600... I would shop for a used trailer. If you can get one for less than a grand, I would do it.
I dont know about the market near you. But when I bought a new trailer a year ago, everything in that price range needed so much work, that it was cheaper(and safer) to go buy a brand new one.

That being said... take a GOOD look at the U-haul before you take it. They are not the best at making sure the trailers are cared for.

Also... it needs to be the silver/aluminum trailer. They have an orange steel model that will be too narrow for you to get your Jeep on. The local U-hual dealer I used to use had one and kept trying to give me one. Finally they added a note to my account that I had to have an aluminum model. But I bought my own tiedown straps. They are around $20 a piece.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #10

View can'tstopjeepen's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Grand Cherokee

I rented one here about two months ago to get the zj home. It went around the 31's but I ratchet strapped the mid section around the frame to. Made me feel a little better on the freeway.
can'tstopjeepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Seasoned Member

View Destro's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I don't know about around you but I have found plenty of them for sale in the $750 price range (and only $1100 or so new) that were in excellent shape. Check Craigslist, last time I looked there were half a dozen in Chicago area and I found a full car trailer (dual axle) for $500 that just needed tires.

New bumper in the works along with a sound system. I may even fix the exhaust header some day.
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
CF Veteran

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro View Post
I don't know about around you but I have found plenty of them for sale in the $750 price range (and only $1100 or so new) that were in excellent shape. Check Craigslist, last time I looked there were half a dozen in Chicago area and I found a full car trailer (dual axle) for $500 that just needed tires.
i have looked a little around town. i would love to be able to afford a new one for sure! money is super tight and i just want to get back home with all my stuff. i did look around for a nice used on and the only one i could find that was "decent" was 1700 bucks. rediculous. needed tires and the fenders where all mashed. someday.

I hope my jeep is going to fit on the trailer. It should. I hauled a yj on a uhaul last summer and it fit with plenty of room. It better fit. I gotta drive 45 miles from where im at to get it. Thank you for reminding me to check the trailer over. I usually just assume that the basic maintenance is takin care of. But it is a rental trailer that gets used and abused and im towing it a thousand miles. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
CF Veteran

1998 Cherokee

picked up the u-haul trailer this morning. got it back to the apartment and test fit the jeep. the straps were not even close to fitting around my tires. i ended up getting a set of 215s from the JY with rims for 42 dollars. looks funny as hell on that trailer. ill post a picture when i get one
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #14

View 93XJRay's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee

got a welder, some angle steel and an old 8.25 layin around by any chance? i vote you make your own! get some beer and ill help you

1996 green XJ
29 spline 8.25 detroit locked
3 inch lift
33" bfg a/ts
cragar soft 8s
cut up fendahs
Cobra CB
sherley boom exhaust
2 bumper mounted off road lights
vents, in the hood yo
Homebrew roof rack

www.sisoffroad.com dominate.
93XJRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
CF Veteran

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93XJRay View Post
got a welder, some angle steel and an old 8.25 layin around by any chance? i vote you make your own! get some beer and ill help you
i already paid for the u-haul. its a nice trailer. im planning on building my own. hopefully a gooseneck that can haul 2 xjs. Thats the plan. Lots of work involved and there will be plenty of golden flowing for sure. Then i can build it how i want it.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 PM

submit to reddit