Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

turn signals dont work with headlights on (2000 cherokee)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default turn signals dont work with headlights on (2000 cherokee)

I have searched for days now and no one has the same problem as i do. when i turn the ignition switch on i hear the cigar lighter relay click on. not sure if this suppose to happen or not. if i put a lighter in the cigar lighter spot it makes the relay buzz and the PND21 light,transfercase light, and the 3 switches for the fog light, defrost and rear wiper iluminate. they will now iluminate with the headlight switch pulled out. when i pull the headlight switch out the turn signals wont work. neither will the emergency flashers. All lights work as they should. when i turn the lights off the turn signals will work as they should. The battery is fully charged and the car runs just fine. do you think it is a bad headlight switch but i thought the turn signals didnt run through that switch. then i thought the flasher relay but the turn signals work along with the emergency flashers. Turn signal switch. I have checked all the grounds and they all have 1.5 or so ohms. I disconnected the main headlight harness under the airbox and that did nothing but make the turnsignals flash faster. Also disconnected the rear lights harness and that did change anything either. I dont have a trailer harness. What do you guys think.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by white91
I have searched for days now and no one has the same problem as i do. when i turn the ignition switch on i hear the cigar lighter relay click on. not sure if this suppose to happen or not. if i put a lighter in the cigar lighter spot it makes the relay buzz and the PND21 light,transfercase light, and the 3 switches for the fog light, defrost and rear wiper iluminate. they will now iluminate with the headlight switch pulled out. when i pull the headlight switch out the turn signals wont work. neither will the emergency flashers. All lights work as they should. when i turn the lights off the turn signals will work as they should. The battery is fully charged and the car runs just fine. do you think it is a bad headlight switch but i thought the turn signals didnt run through that switch. then i thought the flasher relay but the turn signals work along with the emergency flashers. Turn signal switch. I have checked all the grounds and they all have 1.5 or so ohms. I disconnected the main headlight harness under the airbox and that did nothing but make the turnsignals flash faster. Also disconnected the rear lights harness and that did change anything either. I dont have a trailer harness. What do you guys think.
Sounds like a short, it could be where a dash light wire out of light switch may be rubbing near the cigar lighter wire.
All my lights work except my left tail light and front marker,license plate light.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM

i thought that too but none of the fuses blow. I have checked all the fuses with a tester.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM

no one has any more thoughts? It seams like something is draining my battery also. i noticed that i have a sluggish starting in the morning.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Sorry I can't help more, electricity is my worst subject.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Default Headlight problem

Did you ever find out the cause? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by nojaprides
Did you ever find out the cause? Mine is doing the same thing.
What i did was reset the computer by pulling the battery and touching the terminals together. also replaced the relays in the fuse box with others i had laying around. I dont know if any of these things did anything at all. It seems to just have started working one day and havent had any problems since. Sorry i cant give more help. wish i had the exact answer to why mine was acting this way. good luck