Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn signal not working...hmm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Turn signal not working...hmm?

I just got a 2000 cherokee classic 4x4. So far I've already found a few problems. One that needs to get fixed asap is the turn signal. So here's the deal- my right turn signal doesn't work at all, not in the front or back and also not on the dash. But my left one works fine, but blinks extremely fast. And then when I turn my hazzards on, the left ones work as usual, and the front right one works, but not the back one...? I don't know too much about the jeep yet so I don't have a clue what could be wrong. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by duddlylovesmyjeep
I just got a 2000 cherokee classic 4x4. So far I've already found a few problems. One that needs to get fixed asap is the turn signal. So here's the deal- my right turn signal doesn't work at all, not in the front or back and also not on the dash. But my left one works fine, but blinks extremely fast. And then when I turn my hazzards on, the left ones work as usual, and the front right one works, but not the back one...? I don't know too much about the jeep yet so I don't have a clue what could be wrong. Anyone got any ideas?
Hi & welcome to CF from Tj... I would replace the flasher in the fuse panel and change the rear bulb. There are 2 flashers, 1 for the hazards and 1 for the blinkers/turn signals...Tj
Old 04-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

x2 with above, turn the blinker on that works, and you will hear a clicking in the fuse box, that is the good one (use this one to get a visual of what it looks like) replace the other one that looks the same, or if you want them to blink at the same speed, buy 2 and replace both

Last edited by Chex_Mex; 04-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Year: 1984
Engine: Chevy 2.8L V6

When you say "doesn't work," do you mean it doesn't light up, or doesn't blink?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Well when I put the hazards on, both of the signal lights on the dash work, but when I just put the right one on the light doesnt come on. I was looking at the fuses trying to figure out what one was the signal lights and little to no luck. Does anyone know what one I should be looking at, or is it one of the relays.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Sounds like the relays, replace em both.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Year: 1984
Engine: Chevy 2.8L V6

COuldbe the "BRAIN" for the dash, I popped mine out cause iot kept gettin gpissed at me for not having my seatbelt on, and now my flashers don't work.
(Sorry for spelling, bad keyboard)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Year: 1998
Default SO i have the same issue HELP!

Okay so here is my issue i have a 1998 jeep Cherokee sport 4x4 4L straight 6

My problem is my turn signals don't work at all but the hazards do..(go figure) my friend is a car junkie and has been helping me out...we went to the jeep dealer service center and it was a 100 dollars an hour to just figure out what was wrong then when they finally tell us whats going on it came out to 1000$
(i don't know about the rest of you but i don't have that kind of money to spend on a junk car)..so the service dept gave us a list of things that could be wrong ..and we were going to replace them ourselves. well we replace the turn signal switch (oem) the clock spring (oem) the flasher unit and the gauge cluster plugs (oem) and i still have this issue ...the only thing that worked was that it fixed my horn and cruise control...and we checked all the fuses everywhere and all are in good condition and replaced the bulbs in the gauge unit in the dash....me and my friend cant figure it out ..and we would like a push in the right direction without paying a arm and leg to replace everything at a dealer.....HELP ASAP
Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

seems like there are quite a few people with this issue. mine dont work either, my hazards work perfectly. but the turn signal does nothing, no clicking, no lights etc.

id be interested to see if anybody else had this issue, and what they did to resolve it.

93 cherokee sport
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: v6

ok it sounds like I'm in on this one too. I have hazards but no blinkers or tail running lights on either side.. All lights in front work as do the brake lights. Help can't pass inspection without signals!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

To all with the same problem, Remove and replace your blinker lever assembly. You can get them from any parts store for around 30 bucks.
Or you could try and take it apart, clean and rebuild it. Good Luck. The terminals on the inside just get messed up
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6 HO

My signals didn't work, but the hazards did. Mine was just the flasher. I'd start with a new flasher, then from there go to fuses and relays. If none of those work, replace the multi function switch.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: v6

Thanks for the info! Will that also take care of the tail light issue?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM

I had a similar problem with mine. Although on my Jeep it was intermittent. With any electrical problems I do the easy/quick checks first: make sure all bulbs and fuses are ok and make sure there's no corrossion on any of the contacts, connectors etc.

If that doesn't solve it start trouble shooting before just replacing parts. I wouldn't replace anything just like that unless there was a good reason to. I.e. I could verify/check somehow that that particular part was wonky. You're just on a hit or miss approach otherwise. You might get there eventually, but you could end up swapping an awfull lots of parts.

So, break out the electrical diagram and one by one, check/measure each wire/circuit for continuity. It took me three hours but I found two problems in the wiring loom. In one place a wire was chaffed through, other place the wire had slipped from the connector and was held in place by tape, causing a bad connection.

What I do is I attach an ohm meter (multimeter) to the wire/circuit and then wiggle the wiring loom as much as I can in as many places as I can get at. See if that makes a difference.

Fixed both and everything is fine now.

Jeroen
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 ltr Turbo Diesel

Originally Posted by duddlylovesmyjeep

First thing you should check is that all the bulbs are good.Usually when the relay clicks fast and one side of indicators is working it usually means a blown bulb or two. Secondly you should check the relay itself (its usually located behind the panel under the steering wheel but I'm not sure about your model--you can locate the exact relay by putting on the turn signal
and listening for the clicks of the relay or you can use touch to see which one it is) I had a relay that worked fine some times and others it would just freeze and leave all my flashers on. It only did this when it became hot . It was a cheap fix at 3o euro and I replaced it myself.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Turn signal not working...hmm?