Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turbo Diesel Cherokee???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Turbo Diesel Cherokee???

What do you know about this engine? Interference engine??? Reliability? Interchanges??
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Year: 1990 laredo
Model: Cherokee

talk to these guys.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/anyone-here-done-benz-diesel-into-xj-8378/

I personally dont get all the hype. I like it for the MPG increases, but I would just as soon get some v8 motor mounts, an LS1 and call it a day.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you are talking about the few that came stock with TD. I believe they are peugot engines
Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I know it is Renault engine but is it an interference motor??
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Define "interference Motor".

Wikipedia says all diesels are interference engines:
Depending on the design of the engine, the piston and valve paths may "interfere" with one another and incorrect timing in their movements may result in the piston and valves colliding. (Such designs are also called "interference head" or "interference engines", and include virtually all diesel engines. Conversely, non-interfering engines, such as the Mazda B engine or the Subaru EJ22 flat-4, are called "free-wheeling" or "non-interference" engines.)

Last edited by BlueXJ; 01-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chassis research
What do you know about this engine? Interference engine??? Reliability? Interchanges??
renault 2.1-2.5 series. IIRC, its a prechamber, high compression motor ~21:1, with a relatively light duty block casting. I think some of the small Itasca motorhomes in the US used the same engine family, but not much else will share parts with it. A Fuego 1.8 (gas) turbo is, I believe the same bellhousing as well, but thats not exactly powerful, or an off-road type engine.

almost guaranteed to be an interference engine: most older diesels are, due to the high compression ratios & small squish chambers
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Engine: 4.0L

With 21:1 compression that wouldn't leave much room to run more fuel for more boost. I like diesels for offroading like my 91 Dodge Ram I just let out the clutch in first and it won't die no need for throttle all the torque is right off idle its nice. I had a K5 diesel that I wheeled as well till the crankshaft snapped but those weren't turbocharged and with 21.5:1 compression you couldn't run much boost. A 4BT or an Isuzu diesel would be a good swap into a Cherokee the cummins is pretty heavy but theres somebody with a Commanche that has one, seems a bit much for one of these though but they can make some good power.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 PM

A friend looke at purchasing a cherokee witht is engine. Timing belt is off and the truck is vey cheap so i will advise against it.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattster
With 21:1 compression that wouldn't leave much room to run more fuel for more boost. .
the compression numbers are usually a bit 'off' on idi diesels, as they dont seem to use the pre-chamber volume in the compression calculations. That said, the Renault 2.1-2.5 is a pretty light block, and while its nothign more than my opinion, I wouldnt recommend more than maybe 8 or 9 lbs boost sustained. FWIW, I've run the '21:1' compression Benz's up to 24 lbs sustained, and 30 lbs intermittent without a problem, but they weigh as much as a SBC, and have a lot of meat in the block, and head...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 AM

I know it is Renault engine but is it an interference motor??
I'll look it up in my timing belt book when I get to work.

The IDI 7.3 in my F350 is 22:1, and I'm running a Banks turbo- it wastes at 10, but I have a Gillis boost valve spliced inline to the wastegate actuator, and it currently wastes at 12psi. No problems yet; I've got my pump turned up as far as it will go- Max EGT's is 800* running a 5" straight pipe off the turbo
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM

A 4BT or an Isuzu diesel would be a good swap into a Cherokee the cummins is pretty heavy but theres somebody with a Commanche that has one, seems a bit much for one of these though but they can make some good power.
The 4BT is like over 700 lbs. That's about the same as a big block chevy.

I had a put 91 6BT (that I was planning on running in my F350) on the scale at my work, and it weighed 980 lbs- without the front end accessories.

IMHO, this is just too much weight for a vehicle with uni-body construction. What the torque would do it would be a whole another discussion.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Thats why I said probably a bit much for one of these, but it has been done. And yes I know the 4BT is heavy I have a 6BT and I can imagine cutting 2 cylinders off isn't going to make it light, but its fun to show all the naysayers that think the 6BT is too heavy to take wheeling though cause my old Dodge didn't get stuck at all, the front end weight was helpful for the front wheels.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

the renault 2.1 liter turbo diesel is an interference motor

with the timing belt thrown, it likely has bent valves and cracked rockers but not likely that it damaged much else. that's typically what breaks on them.

it's only around 85hp, and you can cut that down with more miles. I regularly get 30 to 34mpg with my 86 comanche with the factory 2.1 liter TD, and have been able to pull 38mpg. hell, I've got a crack in the number 2 precup chamber on the head, a crack in one sleeve, and can't get the boost above 5psi or it will send air into the cooling system

the block is aluminum with a drop-in cast iron (or steel?...can't remember) sleeve. number one cylinder is the firewall cylinder, NOT the cylinder nearest the radiator.

putting the timing belt on is not for the light-hearted. if it's already interfered, then the timing is off. to set the timing, you really need a special tool for it.

I strongly advise against purchasing one with the intent to wheel...you'll **** it up in no time, it's not built nor is capable of heavy wheeling and high rpm's at the tires.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

A friend looke at purchasing a cherokee witht is engine. Timing belt is off and the truck is vey cheap so i will advise against it.
Actually if emissions are an issue in your area, if its cheap enough, tell him to get it and do an engine swap

Thats why I said probably a bit much for one of these, but it has been done. And yes I know the 4BT is heavy I have a 6BT and I can imagine cutting 2 cylinders off isn't going to make it light, but its fun to show all the naysayers that think the 6BT is too heavy to take wheeling though cause my old Dodge didn't get stuck at all, the front end weight was helpful for the front wheels.
For the fact that out XJ's are unibody and pretty light for an SUV, the 6BT is too heavy, nor will it fit.

Last edited by Metmknice; 01-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ulendo
renault 2.1-2.5 series. IIRC, its a prechamber, high compression motor ~21:1, with a relatively light duty block casting. I think some of the small Itasca motorhomes in the US used the same engine family, but not much else will share parts with it. A Fuego 1.8 (gas) turbo is, I believe the same bellhousing as well, but thats not exactly powerful, or an off-road type engine.

almost guaranteed to be an interference engine: most older diesels are, due to the high compression ratios & small squish chambers

The Winnebago Lesharo is the motorhome that shared the engine... Maybe an Itasca also... but the Lesharo is the one I know...