Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #1

View carey14's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Transmission Slip

Hello , Im new to the board and I may have a big problem.....

My daughter was driving her 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0l Auto 4wd
yesterday and called me that she has broke down....so she tries to describe the problem something like this, "the jeep just revs while in drive and will not hardly go anywhere, so I stopped and waited a couple of minutes restarted it and then it would take off like normal for about a mile then just start revving again like it is in neutral.

So she got a ride to work and now Im faced with trying to figure this problem out.

I go to retrieve the jeep last evening and I figure she has let it get low on transmission fluid so I start it up and check it kinda it was getting dark and I could barley see so I just added two quarts. I hop in it and put it into drive, hardley any movement so of course I gun it a couple of times and it seems like the fluid warms up and it takes off, I get about a mile down the road and it looses all transmission power, the engine is running a okay....

I stop on the side of the road turn it off for a minute or two then restart it and away I go for about a mile, and it looses transmission power again..
I find a safe place to park it, latter on this evening I will go pull it home.........

what your best guess???

Thanks in advance
Craig
carey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

View Bigclubs's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

I'm sure there are others who may give better advice or another avenue to look at. Since you said the fluid looked really dark, I would think the fluid is burnt and has lost most of its ability to do it job. Possible the transmission pan has a lot of metal dust (filings) mixed in the fluid and is plugging the filter and causing the transmission to act like it is low in fluid. I would start with the simplest cheapest solution of changing the transmission gasket and fluid in the pan.
If the jeep starts and runs without shifting in neutral, then I would have a transmission fluid exchange done. This will remove all the burnt fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. If the filter change does not work, then It may need towed to a transmission shop to have the bands checked to looseness and adjustment. Good luck..
Bigclubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
jag

View jag's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee

I have it checked for trouble codes too

It could be a selonoid.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #4

Cherokee

Last night after Drill, I was able to meet the tow truck so I could have it towed home, while I was waiting I started it up just messing ...It still has hardly any forward thrust, but it goes into reverse just like normal???

The oil is very clear, (it was night time = Dark) just to clear up some confusion
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
jag

View jag's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee

You have to throw it on a scanner, to see if anything comes up

Does it drive better when it warmed up
Do any gears seem to work proberly

Could be a selnoid or sensor, scanner should pick that up.
Do this before you bring it anywhere, dont want to get robbed.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #6

Cherokee

what kind of scanner do I want to buy??
Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Renix Super Guru

View BlueXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1990XJ/1989MJ Cherokee
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueXJ

OBD II scanner is what everyone is refering to. About 100-150 bucks at most auto parts stores. The more expensive ones give a readout that interprets the code while the cheaper ones give just the number and letter code and you need to look it up.
If you can get it to an auto parts store they will scan it for free.

I am tending toward it not being the AW4 but the TPS though. That is a simple fix and much easier that rebuilding the transmission. The TPS controls when the torque converter locks and unlocks. An unlocked torque converter is similar to a stick when you are trying to move the vehicle with the clutch pedal halfway to the floor. Might move a little when you gas it but will slip a whole lot.
R.I.P. Brian (96_XJ) Perinne

CBW Member #69
BlueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

View dreadedhead's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default did any of this work?

The same thing happened to my jeep cherokee last weekend. A whole lot of slipping and lots of rev but no go. let me know if any of these suggestions helped out. Thanks much.
dreadedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
::Regional Moderator::

View BuckB91XJ's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

When the TPS loses power or quits working the Transmission goes into a "Limp Mode" of sorts. It basically goes fully manual. The transmission will be in whatever gear is selected by the shifter. So, when you put it in OD and try to go, it feels likeit's slipping and not wanting to move because you are in effect trying to take off from a dead stop in 4th, OD or HIGH gear. Try this, start out in 1-2 and then manually go trough your gears. I bet it will drive just fine if you haven't fried something from trying to get it to move from a stop in high gear so many times....or if you haven't overfilled it by dumping in those 2 quarts of tranny fluid without first checking the level.

91 XJ Sport (Old Jeep) - Layed to Rest (04-01-13)
87 XJ Laredo (Ole Red) - In Work
87 XJ Base (The Boys Jeep)
96 XJ Country (The Daughters Jeep)
08 Dodge Charger R/T (The Wifes Ride)
04 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison (tow rig)
BuckB91XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
Renix Super Guru

View BlueXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1990XJ/1989MJ Cherokee
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueXJ

These trannies last forever if you don't abuse them by letting them get dirty or dry. I have one under my workbench that has been through 3 engines and has well over 600,000 miles on it and I saved it when the Cherokee's body was about to come apart from rust. The tranny was operating flawlessly.
R.I.P. Brian (96_XJ) Perinne

CBW Member #69
BlueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech