Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission Running Temp? (NEED TO KNOW FAST I NEED TO GET THE GAUGE IN TODAY!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM
C-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission Running Temp? (NEED TO KNOW FAST I NEED TO GET THE GAUGE IN TODAY!!!)

I'm currently In the middle of Installing a Larger Tranny-cooler.

While I have everything Apart. I am going to go pick up a Gauge to install in line (return line coming From Transmission)

and Wanted to know what The average Running Temp should be in the transmission so I know what to compare it to.

1. So I can see how much better this new Cooler is from the Stock one.

and

2. I'm about to be towing a trailor across the country (1,800 miles) and Want to be able to keep an Eye on it and make sure it's not running too high.

and

3. I need to know if the gauges I were eye-balling are in the right Temperature range at the auto-parts store.

I leave in less then a week and Don't have time to order a B&M or anything like that. So what they have at the store is what I got to work with Today. Especially because I'm working on it right now and want to be done by this evening.

P.S. to all of you guys who are gonna tell me to drill and Tap the Tranny fluid Pan to install the gauge. that is actually a bad Idea just inviting trouble. talked to a rep at B&M and they said that the gauges are designed to be put in the middle of the line coming from the Transmission going to the Cooler. You'll get the Same temp as well... and you don't have to butcher the bottom of your Tranny and add one more potential troubled spot.
I will be putting it in line.

BUT I NEED THAT AVERAGE TEMP. I CAN'T Find it Anywhere and I know it saw someone discussing it in a tranny Temp gauge Install thread and can't find it.

I gotta get back outside and work on this. Ill be back to check in a little while.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

2001 Cherokee Classic AW4 Transmission.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Why would you install it PRE cooler....IMO wouldnt you want to know what temp the fluid was coming out of both the cooler going into the transmission? I dont know exactly what the temp should be but if the engine runs around 210 and its on the cold side of the rad im gonna say 190ish...
Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
C-S

To answer your question.

Every knowledgeable person I've asked says the gauge should read the fluid coming out of the Tranny...

That way you know what the transmission's running fluid temp is...

because otherwise... You could have a really good cooling system that cools the fluid well... but you won't know that you are having heat problems coming out of the transmission

The cooler just helps bring the over all ambient temp down...

You want a reading of the over-all average running temp of the fluid in the tranny... hence you need a reading of the fluid coming off the tranny...

It's about accuracy... not about bragging to your jeep buddies about how cool your tranny temp is.

and I'm not sure about the Temp... I heard the average running temp for the tranny is 210 but thats what the engine is and the guy might have been mixed up...

we'll see what it runs at...
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
C-S

Yeah... come to think of it... Why else would everyone drill and tap the pan to get the sensor in the tranny oil pan???

to get the hottest temp reading...

it's why Im tying into the Line coming out of the trannys...

pretty much same temp... you want to know the temp in the tranny.... not the cooled fluid temp... the cooler will help keep the over all temp in the tranny down... you want that reading...
Old 04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

i agree about not taping the pan....isnt the feed line the rearmost line coming out of the side?