Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question transmission flush

So my question is... Has any one with a 100k+ cherokee with aw4 ever performed a transmission flush and not just a drain and fill! My xj has 168k and I would like to keep it running driving and shifting good with proper maintenance but not at the cost of destroying my transmission in the process...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Year: 1996
Default My 2 cents

Originally Posted by myHEEPis.rad
So my question is... Has any one with a 100k+ cherokee with aw4 ever performed a transmission flush and not just a drain and fill! My xj has 168k and I would like to keep it running driving and shifting good with proper maintenance but not at the cost of destroying my transmission in the process...

In my opinion I have never understood what good it does to flush a transmission and leave a dirty fliter in. When the weather breaks I am doing the pan pull and filter change with another fluid change in a couple hundred to make sure of a clean fluid recycle. I am lucky, my Old Girl has a transmission drain plug.

Last edited by bozie; 02-19-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I don't believe in flushes either. Just fluid and filter changes every 30,000 miles.
Dan
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I didnt want to start another thread since this one is close to what i'm wondering about.

i have a 99' sport with 165k on it. my transmission looked like used oil while i was draining it today and now i want to change the filter also. after i put new fluid in i took it to a shop to change the filter and the owner told me he wouldn't touch it because going from old dirty thick fluid to brand new thin transmission fluid might cause problems with my transmission. too much of a liability for him.

what should i do?? keep my dirty old filter or change the filter and fluid??
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am a firm believer in the drain and fill method. I had a transmission guru tell me that a flush is dangerous for most transmissions because of the amount of pressure put through the transmission/valve body and that a flush could cause premature failure. My old Buick had 306,000 miles on the original transmission and it had a drain and fill service every 100,000 miles. I bought it at 100,000 miles and it had not had any service.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 AM

I wouldnt do a flush either....drain and fill, run it a month and drain and fill again.
After 2 weeks of driving that fluid should still be nice and red, if it isnt do it a third time.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool 30 years experience + my 2 cents!

Transmission Fluid Changes when done at predetermined intervals are the best way to remove contaminants and maintain the drive clutch performance. These are done in conjunction with a filter change as well. Drain and fill only replaces about one third the volume of the exisiting transfluid because most of it is in the torque converter and oil cooler . You would have to drain and fill your fluid at least 5 times in a couple hundred miles to get the same result without flushing.
Now here is my 2 cents: If it has never been flushed and has over 100,000 miles DONT BOTHER. (Flushing with a machine)
Don't Drain and Fill and use upgraded trans oil (2/3rds the volume of the trans will still be older fluid. ie: putting plus 4 or 5 in when it calls for 7176 or TFII
Just replace the filter and fluid at least once a year (depending on driving habits) and you should have a long and happy shifting trans.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

DO NOT FLUSH!!!!!! The guy at my local trans shop told me that was his biggest money maker. People come in and ask for a flush and 5000 miles later they are back in for a #1 pump seal or something of that nature. I would just drain and fill with a new filter. FOR THE GUY WITH THE REALLY DIRTY FLUID, I would drain and fill with new fluid and a filter, then just do it again at your next oil change. Then do it again after 3 oil changes.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

i flushed mine my self all you need to do is disconect your return line from the cooler and add a peace of hose in a 5 gal bucket and put a funnel in the dipstick tube and start your rig and fill as fast as you can till the fluid is coming out is bright and fresh shut it off and hook you tranny line back up and recheck your fluid level as long as your not changing the filter this will work other wise then you need to drop the pan and change the filter and readd more fluid this way it uses the tranny pump instead of fluid being pushed into the pump and destroying anything
Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by greengoblin
i flushed mine my self all you need to do is disconect your return line from the cooler and add a peace of hose in a 5 gal bucket and put a funnel in the dipstick tube and start your rig and fill as fast as you can till the fluid is coming out is bright and fresh shut it off and hook you tranny line back up and recheck your fluid level as long as your not changing the filter this will work other wise then you need to drop the pan and change the filter and readd more fluid this way it uses the tranny pump instead of fluid being pushed into the pump and destroying anything

Not a bad Idea. This would be far superior to a tranny flush done by a transmission service center. They reverse flush which pushes everything through the system backwards, blowing everything on your filter back into the tranny. You way keeps the gunk where it belongs and adds fresh fluid. GOOD IDEA!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM

did it the other day and in a month im going to pull the pan and see what all ended up in there and change the filter
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Curious to know if/when you guys do a pan drop, if you have/had trouble separating the dip stick tube. We flat couldn't get it to separate....ended up cutting and splicing it. Used 1/2" rubber fuel line.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Curious to know if/when you guys do a pan drop, if you have/had trouble separating the dip stick tube. We flat couldn't get it to separate....ended up cutting and splicing it. Used 1/2" rubber fuel line.
thats one way of doing it i just used a hand held propane torch and heated it there is a oring there and just had to replace oring
Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO Stock

My first gear is slipping when wheeling at slow speeds, also fluid has a burnt smell. A guy at a local shop said he wouldn't do anything but drive it till the trans goes out or take it now to a shop. He told me changing the fluid may not do anything but make the trans give out sooner. Mainly because of the newer detergent fluid being added to the system. Let me know your views on this.

Don't mean to steal this thread but sort of same topic.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Year: 89

Remeber not all flush machine are pressurized. the we have is made by BG and it is not pressurized only the tranny pump pressurizes it. it has a diaphram in the tank as old comes in it pushes new out a simple way of putting it then you drop the pan a replace the filter

Quick Reply: transmission flush