Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission chirp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Transmission chirp?

When I purchased the vehicle I went to look at it, let it idle, test drove, returned the next day, did the same thing again, then purchased it. Not once during this time did I notice the noise I am experiencing now. I gave it a thorough look before purchase, two different friends eyed it over as well. The noise that I am hearing seems to be a chirp of some sort. At first I assumed a belt, so I inspected the engine bay and found the noise to be further down in the engine area. I got under it for awhile while it was running and listened, trying to pinpoint the exact area where it is coming from. I believe it is either the back of the transmission or the transfer case. The sound is not so much a squeak, but more of a chirp. To me it sounds almost like a metal chirp. When the vehicle is cold, after first starting, the sound is not there. But once it warms up, the chirp begins. If I hit a bump it will chirp as well. I checked the transmission fluid levels and they were good and the fluid looked great.

Any ideas of what this could be/ has anyone seen this before?
Thanks, Erik
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

Check all the mounts as well as the exhaust mounts. Look for shiny spots and or rust powder creeping out from between things. These are both indicators of metal to metal contact.

Also check the transfer case linkage and lube all pivot points with white lithium spray.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Roger, I'll do that. The first part of my post seems to have been deleted. What it initially read was that I just recently, after putting it off for many years, purchased a jeep cherokee! 2001 sport 4dr 4wd 4.0l, 122,000 miles. It came with a pile of service history, very clean truck overall. I'll look at what you suggested and get back.