Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #1

View DBGrif97's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default Transfer case fluid change/ front end u-joints

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 auto

Just curious about changing the fluid in the transfer case. How difficult is it? What type of fluid should I use? I realize that age and mileage essentially mean nothing to gear oil, but aside from keeping my vehicles well maintained, I like to tinker with them and changing the fluid in the transfer case sounds like a good tinkering project.

Second up is changing the u-joints on the front end. Again, how difficult? There's a mild vibration in the front end when the speed gets up around 70+ [not that I'm doing 90, but I typically do about 75 on the interstate] and I suspect the u-joints to be at least part of the problem.

Thanks.
DBGrif97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
CF Veteran

View whowey's Photo Album My Photos
90 Cherokee

Changing the fluid is simple...

Pop cover...fluid runs out... Clean and inspect the internals... Put the cover back on with RTV(no gasket) and fill up to the plug.

Contamination and heat are the main worries with gear lube. Both of those happen with use and age.

I don't know your usage of your Jeep, so I can't give you an accurate recommendation on viscosity.

There are write-ups for both of these jobs in the tech articles section here.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/how...ana-30-a-3689/
Changing the fluid is contained inside this write-up... Its one of the funniest on here.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/d30...-writeup-2804/
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech