Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tranny service?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tranny service?

so the local mechanic dude says he wants 230$ to play around with my tranny (automatic) but my friend says me and him can do it. nothing is broken to my knowledge and the 4x4 works and thats pretty good for 225,000 miles but it has never been looked at, and friend says we should change the filter and oil, or fluid or whatever. my question is how hard is it to change the filter and how much/ what type of oil or fluid do i need to get?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

well being an auto 91XJ you should have an AW4 under there i think a filter/fluid change usually costs me $50CDN and about an hour of my time

DEXRON/MERCRON III ATF (cant remember how much though, as i used a fair bit last time to do a full flush.
and your local parts store should be able to hook you up with a filter and pan gasket.

-Drain it
-Drop the pan **have to wiggle it a bit to get the dipstick tube apart and be warned theres still gunna be a bit of fluid in there.
-filter has 3 bolts if i recall **just remove and replace
-clean up pan/gasket surface on pan and trans
-put a thin layer of RTV on the gasket and put er back on ** be careful of bolt placement as ive done mine a dozen times and never noticed that there was one bolt someone had thrown in there at some point that was longer and it wound up pushing against a side tab and cracking my trans housing , remember you have to line up the dipstick tube, if you dont theres gunna be a mess.
-once all is back together go up top and fill through dipstick tube, put in a few litres then run it, foot on brake and cycle through all gears and back to park, check fluid once warm and top up from there.

the Tcase will take a jug or two of the same stuff theres 2 plufs on the backside of the case bottom is the drain, top if the fill.

this one is simple, drain it, then fill it till fluid starts to come out the fill hole.

hope that gets ya on your way.