Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track bar adjustment?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Track bar adjustment?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new JKS adj. TB and was wondering what the general consensus was as fas as what to measure when you are adjusting it. I have my way and wanted to see if it was the right way!! Thanks much!! Later!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

When I put my adjust. tb on we measured how much the front needed to go over then added half that amount to the stock TB length and set the adjust at that length.I measured to the center face of the wheel from the edge of the fender by dropping a plumb bob from the edge of the fender. Mine looks pretty close and I'm happy with it.If I ever take it to get an alignment I'll let them get it closer if needs to be.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.7 Stroker

I generally use a tape measure and level.

Put level vertical against tire to make sure its plumb.

Take tap off fender edge between fender and hood (something to HOOK the tape on.)

Measure out to the plumb level. Then do the other side.

With my wife in the drivers seat, she turns the steering wheel to get it centered. I then adjust the track bar to get it close. I usually get it within 1/4in of even. Given its hard to get it exact when you have to rotate the end 180 degrees at a time.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Shouldn't the measurement take place off the "frame" and not the fender?? IDK, I'm just thinking fenders can be off by quite a bit, I'm sure mine are!! Let me know!! Later!!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I don't measure. I unhook the trackbar then jump up and down on the bumper. Then i push on the side of the fender (both sides) and do a little more jumping up and down. This settles it into position and then i bolt it up. It's always been centered
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Here's how someone once told me to do it...Pull the old track bar off the bounce the front end up and down, side to side and turn the steering as well..That should level things out and set the axle in it's neutral position. As long as it's within a 1/4" or less it should be good since getting it dead center is darn near impossible..

Don't quote me on how well it works but on every board I have read that's what most people seem to do and get it pretty close...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Also for reference use the RE TB install directions here..
http://rubiconexpress.com/Img/Produc...ructions/0.pdf
Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I found the center of the vehicle from the bottom of the frame (unibody) and marked that put it up in the air, removed the wheels after making sure to point them straight ahead. Took measurements from the rotors surface to the center and kept bumping the D30 back and forth til it was in the center (all with the OEM t/b off ) and then adjusted the JKS to fit. Bolted it up and re-installed the wheels. Good to go!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Thanks for all of the input guys!! I actually just ordered an RE adj. TB. The cost was better than JKS and everything else I have is RE, so it made since to go with them. I have heard good things about there's as well as JKS's, so all should be good!! On the same note I called the 4X4 MEGASTOREMPORIUM to get all of the lengths of my links checked as well as caster angle, and was told that since I had BDS springs and RE links they don't want to work on it!! I will never darken their doorway again!! This is not the first time something like this has happened, but it will be the last!!!! If I need something I will visit another store or buy it from the web!! WTF is up with that ****!!! What a POS business!! Take heed guys, we shouldn't have to put up with that kind of BS!! I called Brakes Plus and the guy said him and about four guys in the shop had lifted XJs, and he would love to work on my Jeep!! That is how the other **** hole should be!! It's a shame that I get better service for my Jeep from a brake place than a 4X4 shop!! Oh well, to BP my $$ goes!! Later!! Sorry for the rant, but that crap lights my fuse!!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Well I have always thought that their prices were overinflated for what they do for you. That is why I have done just about all my own stuff. Me and a buddy have made 95% of the improvements to my XJ. The rest were done by the alignment shop my neighbor managed.