Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Torque converter gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Torque converter gremlins?

I have a couple of torque converter/tranny problems that I hope someone can help with. It's an AW4 with 134K. Just bought it 2 months ago and the tranny fluid was possibly original. I've done 3 drain and fills driving it a couple hundred miles between each one. Also have a new TPS which didn't help at all.

First problem is constant. When upshifting from 3rd to 4th, it goes straight into OD. The only way I can get it to use 4th without OD is to give it a lot of throttle right as it's shifting and even then it will only hang in for a second before going into OD. Then on the flip side, when applying throttle to downshift, it goes straight from OD down to 3rd, again skipping normal 4th gear altogether. This happened before and after I did any of the drain and fills.

Second, just for one day only, it decided to start popping out of OD going down the highway. When moderate to heavy throttle was applied it would go back to OD. Weird. This went away and hasn't returned, but at least from that I know that 4th gear can work without OD.

I searched this site and googled and can't find any experiences that match exactly, but lots of potential problem parts that I just don't understand enough about and would like to learn. Any ideas?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Troubles

The AW4 transmissions are controlled with an ECU/ECT using electronic sensors & solenoids, you get the idea. If you have a bad connection to any of the many sensors used to control shifting that could cause problems. Check all of the wiring connections for the trans. control. You didn't say if you were getting any ECU fault codes.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not getting a CEL, so haven't bothered to have codes read. Could I have fault codes without a CEL? Any hunch on a specific sensor failure that could give these kinds of symptoms? I can take it to a mechanic if I must, but would like to DIY if I can since it's still driveable.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

Get a digital camera and camp out near your XJ. You need to get a pic of the gremlins.
They HATE that.
Almost as much as the GFM's

I hate GFM's more than gremlins. Gremlins give up, GFM's stick around especially if they find a viable habitat

GFM- Garage Floor Monster (n) Latin: Fixitus Annoyinutus. A creature that makes it home on the floors of unsuspecting mechanics floor. Feasts upon tools and hardware that mistakingly are dropped onto the floor within its reach. Playful but not harmless, the GFM's favorite pasttime is maliciously re-arranging the mechanics workplace, placing normally out of the way items within the traffic patterns of the garage it inhabits.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
Get a digital camera and camp out near your XJ. You need to get a pic of the gremlins.
Caught one!!!! They appear harmless, but oh they find ways to screw with your XJ that you never could have dreamed of!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Seriously, I may be onto something that could lead me to the real gremlin. I just noticed that my reverse lights aren't working which I've read could be the neutral safety switch. Can the NSS cause shifting problems?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 PM

Default switch

Well the switch you are refering to actually tells the computer what gear you have placed the shifter in, not just neutral and reverse.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I took out the NSS tonight, cleaned it, greased it and reinstalled. It definitely made a difference. For one, I have reverse lights now. And the upshifting from 3rd to 4th now works as expected meaning that it will actually hang in 4th with moderate throttle before going into OD.

However, when using throttle to downshift, it still goes straight from OD to 3rd. Anyone have other ideas now that I think I've successfully ruled out the NSS for this remaining problem?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Dang it! On the way to work this morning it popped out of OD again! It will go back into OD when accelerating, but when cruising at constant speed it stays out of OD. It's like the exact opposite of what it should do. Again, the NSS is freshly cleaned and adjusted properly (starts in park and neutral only.

Is there anything else that can be cleaned or adjusted? I'm going to be towing a trailer next week, so I really need to get this thing working right.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM

I have the same exact problem with my XJ it only has 119,000 mi. on it so i assuming it can be to major, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by 99XJdave; 12-06-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport

First problem is constant. When upshifting from 3rd to 4th, it goes straight into OD. The only way I can get it to use 4th without OD is to give it a lot of throttle right as it's shifting and even then it will only hang in for a second before going into OD. Then on the flip side, when applying throttle to downshift, it goes straight from OD down to 3rd, again skipping normal 4th gear altogether. This happened before and after I did any of the drain and fills.
Just a little fact here......4th is OD and OD is 4th, you don't have a 5 speed trans
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

sounds like you need to adjust your TV cable...

To adjust the TV cable you:
1: Push in and hold the release button
2: While holding in release button, push "conduit" in as far as it will go
3: Release button
4: Rotate throttle to WOT, some people do this with the gas pedal. Others do it from the engine compartment.
5: Hold at WOT for a few seconds, cable should ratchet out a click or two.
6: Your TV cable should now be properly adjusted, take it for a test ride.

Here is another post about it on NAXJA
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

^
|
|
See if that helps...

Last edited by 89Laredo; 10-19-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Willys55
Just a little fact here......4th is OD and OD is 4th, you don't have a 5 speed trans
I never said anything about having 5 gears...but, there is a difference between 4th gear with the torque converter unlocked and 4th gear with the torque converter locked, which is what I was trying to describe by using the terms 4th and OD.

Originally Posted by 99XJdave
I have the same exact problem with my XJ it only has 119,000 mi. on it so i assuming it can be to major, any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Definitely adjust the TV cable as described above (I call it the kickdown cable). That stopped my torque converter from locking too soon because now it senses more pressure at a given throttle position.

If you're also having the problem I was having where the torque converter comes unlocked just riding down the highway, that's probably a TCU on the fritz. Replaced mine with a junkyard unit which appears to have fixed it for now.