Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #1

View XJcountry's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default Tilt steering

On my 96 jeep cherokee the tilt steering lever all of a sudden stopped working and it's stuck in one position. I am wondering if it can be fixed without having to replace the entire assembly.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
::CF Sheriff::

View dukie564's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

the arm probably came disconnected - take it apart and find out...or not...your choice
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View trans_am7935's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

i don't even use my tilt, mine is adjusted to stick strait out like i don't even have tilt, but you will have to pull the steering wheel and open up the steering column, good luck
1994 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 5 speed 4.0 H.O. flex headers, Flowmaster cat back, Magnaflow cat, stock clutch, K&N, 6.5" Rusty's lift w/ RC long arm, 35" mudders, Bushwackers, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, ORO U-turn Steering, Dana 44, Detroit locker, Dana 30 HP Detroit Tru trac, 4.56 gears, 136amp alt, Camo Paint
trans_am7935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

View shaneo417's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

mine broke, and the steering wheel was very sloppy, i swapped out the whole column, it was easy and cheep.
shaneo417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #5

View xj guy's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I found this write up doing some searches www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html My question is how do I pull the steering wheel off to take a look inside?

In the write up he says it can be done with out removing the steering column. If it is easier to just remove the steering column then I'll just do that so I can work on it inside. Any tips on how to pull either?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
CF Veteran

View PatriotGT's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj guy View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I found this write up doing some searches www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html My question is how do I pull the steering wheel off to take a look inside?

In the write up he says it can be done with out removing the steering column. If it is easier to just remove the steering column then I'll just do that so I can work on it inside. Any tips on how to pull either?
use that article to repair. If you go to AutoZone to either rent or buy
that tool, also get a steering wheel puller. It makes removal easy.
Take your time and watch where you remove what, so you replace it.
I had my Chevy truck done by a friend, because he had the tools already.
I watched as he worked, didn't take him 20 min. start to finish.
There's 3 torx screws that have to be tightened (didn't read that for on that link).

side note: I now have those tools just in case ----
90 Mit Eclipse
PatriotGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #7

1996 Cherokee

Did you friend remove the whole column from the car or did he work on it from with in the cab? and I'll go out there to see if i can see how the wheel comes off.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Did you friend remove the whole column from the car or did he work on it from with in the cab? and I'll go out there to see if i can see how the wheel comes off.
It looks as though I can get the steering wheel off with just a phillips head, but the rest of the components look as though they require a torx like screw driver that has a hole in the center? I'm going to look into it more.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

1996 Cherokee

Quote:
It looks as though I can get the steering wheel off with just a phillips head, but the rest of the components look as though they require a torx like screw driver that has a hole in the center? I'm going to look into it more.
If you need to remove the torx with a center pin you can always go to autozone/advance and pick up a socket torx kit with the safety pin. The zone had one with. Worked fairly well.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
CF Veteran

1999 Grand Cherokee

Should be a nut holding the steering wheel on. Also mark it
so you can put it back in the correct position (hub of wheel to shaft -it's splined,
which is why you need a puller). And yes we did it on the truck, no need to remove it.
PM me if you need, I keep forgetting to check back here.
90 Mit Eclipse
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotGT View Post
Should be a nut holding the steering wheel on. Also mark it
so you can put it back in the correct position (hub of wheel to shaft -it's splined,
which is why you need a puller). And yes we did it on the truck, no need to remove it.
PM me if you need, I keep forgetting to check back here.
Thanks for the help, But I reported back in another thread (forgot to reply to this one). I removed my airbag and as I was about to dig further into the wheel but then something just told me to try one more time. And sure enough after I spent all that time taking it apart it went back into its normal position. If it happens again maybe I'll take a better look at it and PM you if I need help. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Audiology Intern

View Turbo X_J's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Thanks for the help, But I reported back in another thread (forgot to reply to this one). I removed my airbag and as I was about to dig further into the wheel but then something just told me to try one more time. And sure enough after I spent all that time taking it apart it went back into its normal position. If it happens again maybe I'll take a better look at it and PM you if I need help. Thanks!
Thats the one part where you want to follow the instructions exactly. If it were to detonate while you are holding it , or near it, it can be really bad news.

Made in U.S.A. it matters.

It's OK to take it out & play with it.

" 脊椎動物門 哺乳綱 獣亜綱 食肉目
 ジャイアントパンダ科
寝不足じゃないのに目のまわりが 
クマクマだらけの熊じゃないパンダだ!"
The Pink Panda * PANDA *
Turbo X_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
CF Veteran

1999 Grand Cherokee

Sorry, I missed the part about it having an airbag. My 88 doesn't.
The ones I've worked on with an airbag, Ive always disconnected
the battery first, then very carefully removed the airbag, especially
the first time, but always be careful.
90 Mit Eclipse
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech