Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

They say that engine wont work....

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They say that engine wont work....

Ive got a 2001 XJ 4.0 with a crack in the block, well ive been looking around for a complete motor to go back in it. I keep hearing a Cherokee is set off by itself, that a grand cherokee and wrangler 4.0 wont work. Is this true? Reason i ask is, i found a coil packed 4.0 out of a wrangler with 58k miles on it for $800, everyone else wants $900-$950... I know i can use a older model cherokee motor, but have to use my head, intake and coil pack stuff but i aint wanting to do that. So, do i need strictly a 2000-2001 XJ 4.0 or...... what will interchange.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o

The one you found will work just the people putting it in might not know what they are doing. I would find someone who knows XJ's or Jeeps in general.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

you didn't say what year wrangler. but I got a 2001 wrangler engine and it wouldn't work. the timing covers changed which made teh alternator/a/c brackets not work.on the wrangler the alternator bracket is built into the block where the lower radiator hose should go. The engine mount brackets were different on the block, the oil pressure gauge sending unit was in a different location and the harness looked like it would be tight or not able to reach, the oil filter housing is different(not biggie), the water pump bolt pattern was different too, and you cat use the wrangler one as the power steering pump bracket mounts to the pump on the xj.

I thought about making it work... but i would've had to shave the block flat on back side to make the alternator/a/c brackets work, drill and tap lots of holes for brackets, drill and tap a new water pump bolt hole. find mount brackets off of a wrangler. extend the harness to the pressure sending unit.

from my experience I would find one from an xj.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
you didn't say what year wrangler. but I got a 2001 wrangler engine and it wouldn't work. the timing covers changed which made teh alternator/a/c brackets not work.on the wrangler the alternator bracket is built into the block where the lower radiator hose should go. The engine mount brackets were different on the block, the oil pressure gauge sending unit was in a different location and the harness looked like it would be tight or not able to reach, the oil filter housing is different(not biggie), the water pump bolt pattern was different too, and you cat use the wrangler one as the power steering pump bracket mounts to the pump on the xj.

I thought about making it work... but i would've had to shave the block flat on back side to make the alternator/a/c brackets work, drill and tap lots of holes for brackets, drill and tap a new water pump bolt hole. find mount brackets off of a wrangler. extend the harness to the pressure sending unit.

from my experience I would find one from an xj.

Don't take this the wrong way but that just doesn't make sense.
Why would any vehicle manufacturer cast a different block for different models?
I'll bet if you just tore it down to just the head and block all your old parts would then just bolt back up. You may have to change the timing cover and water pump.
It is much cheaper for Chrysler to have different water pumps and timing covers than to have seperate blocks for each of their models.
Trust me on this. Been wrenching for over 30 years and have never run into a unique block just for a seperate model.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

My Dad swapped an XJ 4.0 into his Wrangler without many problems, I can't imagine it would be too different to do the opposite.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Of course it will work. I've got the old 4.2 258 in mine. As long as you transfer your engine mounts to the new block you'll be fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Jamie57

Don't take this the wrong way but that just doesn't make sense.
Why would any vehicle manufacturer cast a different block for different models?
I'll bet if you just tore it down to just the head and block all your old parts would then just bolt back up. You may have to change the timing cover and water pump.
It is much cheaper for Chrysler to have different water pumps and timing covers than to have seperate blocks for each of their models.
Trust me on this. Been wrenching for over 30 years and have never run into a unique block just for a seperate model.
You are absolutely correct on this, I put a 94 cherokee motor in my CJ7, only mechanical thing I changed was the waterpump, had to get one for a wrangler to get the fan in the center of the radiator
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

why do you think i bought it? lol it DIDN'T work. its not a matter of swapping parts. after looking at many wrangler enignes and cherokee engines all 4.0L some where a match and others where not. I beleive the cut off I found was 99 and older was enterchangable and 2000 and up was not. believe it or not... its true... pics to prove it...

cherokee block... notice the holes in the block for the bigger bolts on the cover and the threw bolts to the alternator brackets. the back side of the block is not machined flat like it is on the cherokee block..... (my 2000 xj block)

2001 Wrangler engine... different bolt pattern on the pump, t/cover, and the alternator bracket that is cast into the block where the lower hose would go.... you can see its not machined flat for the bracket or drilled threw for the bolts.... (2001 engine i bought to put in after reading it would work on here, had to resell it)

you can see the new CHEROKEE pump I installed after drilling and tapping for the new hole, the hang up for me was the block needing 7 holes tapped and the back side by the alternator not being machined flat or the correct thickness...

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 09-13-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM

why do you think i bought it? lol it DIDN'T work. its not a matter of swapping parts. after looking at many wrangler enignes and cherokee engines all 4.0L some where a match and others where not. I beleive the cut off I found was 99 and older was enterchangable and 2000 and up was not. believe it or not... its true... pics to prove it...

cherokee block... notice the holes in the block for the bigger bolts on the cover and the threw bolts to the alternator brackets. the back side of the block is not machined flat like it is on the cherokee block..... (my 2000 xj block)

2001 Wrangler engine... different bolt pattern on the pump, t/cover, and the alternator bracket that is cast into the block where the lower hose would go.... you can see its not machined flat for the bracket or drilled threw for the bolts.... (2001 engine i bought to put in after reading it would work on here, had to resell it)

you can see the new CHEROKEE pump I installed after drilling and tapping for the new hole, the hang up for me was the block needing 7 holes tapped and the back side by the alternator not being machined flat or the correct thickness...
Very glad to see an example of exactly why ive heard it wont work. Thanks alot for the pics! Ill for sure stick with finding a XJ only 4.0 so i dont have to deal with maybe it not being right and having to resell and find another, a guy called me earlier saying he had a 2000 XJ 4.0 that he tryed to put in his 2002 Wrangler, now i know why he wants to resell.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
Very glad to see an example of exactly why ive heard it wont work. Thanks alot for the pics! Ill for sure stick with finding a XJ only 4.0 so i dont have to deal with maybe it not being right and having to resell and find another, a guy called me earlier saying he had a 2000 XJ 4.0 that he tryed to put in his 2002 Wrangler, now i know why he wants to resell.
yeah I bet he ran into the same thing. But After rolling under wranglers in parking lots like a creep all the older then 98-99 4.0's looked to be the same, so it can still be an option. just make sure

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 09-13-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM

yeah I bet he ran into the same thing. But After rolling under wranglers in parking lots like a creep all the older then 98-99 4.0's looked to be the same, so it can still be an option. just make sure
Thanks again! Too bad they werent made like GM lol, ill find out tomorrow what year exactly, being it only has 58k miles im thinking it may be newer then 99, never know though.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Might be misleading because of the year..I was looking on rebuilt engine websites and for earlier years like 96-97-98 they showed the same 4.0 Cherokee engine fitting a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee or Wrangler. But when I looked at the year 2000 it showed the Cherokee 4.0 fitting only that model and no longer listed the other two.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

the motor mount bosses on the block are also cast different, tapped in different locations, or non-existant where cherokee ones go.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
the motor mount bosses on the block are also cast different, tapped in different locations, or non-existant where cherokee ones go.
Like when I used a 4.2, I had to drill and tap for things like the knock sensor and coolant sensor.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

hmmm