Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

View Chain's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Temp sensor location on 1999 cherokee

I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport straight 6 .
My temp gauge is going crazy and in turn it determines how and if the engine will run , start , stall when warm .
I checked the sensor in the thermostat and thats good but cant find the other sensors .
The haynes manual says it's on the block below the manifold but there is nothing there .
The electric fan also doesn't work and there is supposed to be a relay behind headlight passenger side and I cant find that ,I found the relay in the fuse box under hood.and thats good also.
Any help would keep me from blowing the thing up.
Thanks , Chain
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #2

View kbad's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Sport Cherokee

on my 96.....in front of engine on top of water pump is the temp sensor that feeds the computer and tells it how to adjust fuel/air ratio....there is a temp sender that feeds the gauge/dummy light.....it is located at back of engine on driver's side beside the valve cover, screwed into the intake manifold, in between the fuel rail and injector harness rail...see pic below...check the electric fans connector behind the rad...it could be bad or have a bad connection....electric fan only comes on with a/c or when you hit ~220 deg....

....how did you test the sensor in the water pump (thermostat)? if you disconnect it and check resistance across the sensor terminals....you should see very high resistance when it is cold and low resistance when it is hot/warm....your 99 engine may have a combo sensor/sender! i am not sure.

...here for more renix engine tips, but they still apply for troubleshooting.... http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm ..... "Basically - this sensor functions by providing a resistance-to-ground circuit that the computer (ECU) uses to determine how much fuel the engine requires. (The hotter the coolant - the lower the resistance.) The resistance of the sensor is read by the ECU which in turn adjusts the air/fuel ratio as close to 14.7:1 as possible. When a coolant temperature sensor fails (open circuit / no continuity) the high / infinite resisitance will cause the ECU to falsely read the max low temperature of -40 degrees F. The ECU then tells the injectors to enrichen the fuel mixture because it thinks the temp is really cold when it really isn't. A short to ground would cause a 'no-resistance' fault causing the ECU to think the coolant air temperature was extremely hot and lean out the fuel mix."
Attached Images

Last edited by kbad; 07-12-2010 at 11:22 PM.
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View troy fritz's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troy fritz

On a 99 it's in the t-stat housing.The sensor on the back of the motor is not there on a 99.It was incorperated into the t-stat sensor.96 and down have the tenp sending unit on top of the head on ds in rear.

Last edited by troy fritz; 07-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.
troy fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech